This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100924

Started by Coach Sommer, September 24, 2010 · 26 Replies · 3,197 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

15s Samson Stretch

10 Shoulder Dislocate

30s Handstand Hold

10 Back Extension

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck/Flat Tuck; 15s, 15s) moving on to flat tuck now :mrgreen:

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck, 11s, 11s)

2 x 1 Manna PB Bent; 17s, 20s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Flat Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 8s, 8s)

WOD:

1 x 10 Cast Wall Walks; rest 2 min

1 x 5 Pike Press HeS rest 2 min

1 x 10 Straddle Press HeS; rest 5 min

Walking HSPU Ladders (Forgot to count my rounds)

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups. Stretch.

Eddie Stelling

Hey Spartan can you explain the HSPU Ladder? Are you on your hands the whole time or do you break as you move through progressions and go until you can complete a round? That being your number of rounds? I'm confused.

Guest

Nothing to add except that I'm back from a couple of weeks of vacation - back to the WODs on Monday!

Joshua Naterman

You will have trouble doing the HSPU ladders without the book. You start with the first progression, box HeSPU and do 2 reps, followed by 6 steps of HS wall runs. If you can not do these properly, you could always substitute a 10-15s wall handstand. After that, you will try to do 2 reps with the second progression, HeSPU negatives (slowly lower from handstand to headstand, drop down, kick back up to HS, do your second rep), and then you will do 6 more steps or another hold. You will then try the third step, HeSPU. This could be freestanding from the ground or on the wall from the ground or HeS, doesn't really matter that much, but those options are from hardest to easiest. Then you will try to do 6 more steps. You can then continue on up the ladder as far as you are able to do at least 1 rep. Use the book to guide your ladder.

Once you find the progression you are unable to do one proper repetition with you will count all the steps beforehand as you take a 3-5 minute rest. divide 10 by that number. For example, if you get to the HeSPU and realize that's all you have got, that's 3 rungs. 10/3= 3 and 1/3. That means you need to do 3 full ladders. You are halfway done with the first. After your rest you will reverse the process, starting with the hardest variation you completed and working back down to box HeSPU step by step. You will then take anohter 3-5 minute breat as you have now completed your first full ladder. Now you will repeat that entire process two more times. It will be up to you to decide whether to complete a 4th round or not, and that should be based on your work capacity and recovery ability. As time goes on these will improve.

Joshua Naterman

I think it is funny that there are so few WODs posted on this one hahaha! I'm about to go home and do mine.

Simon Grégoire

Am I the only one who's having a ton of trouble with cast wall walk? It's probably because of my tight shoulder, but I can barely do 3 reps of this exercise before I run out of gas.

Anyways,

WM

Light stretching

Some bodyline drills

WOD

Choked after 3 reps of cast wall walk

*I was thinking of doing some elevated bridge push-ups to help open up my shoulder girdle instead. (I can't do it feet on the floor)

rest 3 min

1 X 5 straddle press HeS

rest 2 min

1 X 10 tuck press HeS

rest 4 min

I could only do 1 round of the walking HS ladder; I was completely wasted after that.

I went with

1 X 2 box HeSPU

6 seconds wall HS hold

1 X 2 neg HeSPU

6 seconds wall HS hold

1 X 2 HeSPU (I'm having a hard time balancing myself when going from HeS to HS)

6 seconds wall HS hold

rest 5 min

Reversed the ladder back to beginning

Finished with 3 X 10 wrist push-up. I really needed those, my wrists where killing me!

Eddie Stelling

Thanks Slizzardman. One more question, when doing this ladder and working up the rungs, is this one giant set such that you don't stop come down from your HS/HeS until you fail (other than coming down on the negative HeSPU)? The HS Wall Runs are to be done on the wall with yor belly to the wall, if i am not mistken, but when you are doing say a box HeSPU you would no be set up to go right into the wall runs. How do you do this transition?...Turn around while remaining in a HS?

I screwed this one all up! My negatives were a negative down and then a HeSPU! No wonder I couldn't get very far!!

Thanks for the help! I am buying the book as soon as I get some extra money!

sgreg: The cast wall wlak are much easier for me if I concentrate on pushing hard with my shoulders, almost like a front lever.This glues your feet to the wall. Last week I only got 4 in a row, this week I got 6 in a row. Keep working it, push hard and keep your core tight, it will come!

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2 x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 15s Lowish L-hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x (20s Bent L-sit + 10s Unassisted German Hang)

WOD:

2x5 "Cast" Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS (feet raised 20″, head unraised)

1x10 Straddle Box Press HeS (feet raised 20″, head unraised)

rest 5 mins

5 rounds of:

2x Box HeSPU, 6 Wall Runs

2x Negative HeSPU, 6 Wall Runs

rest 5 mins

2x Negative HeSPU, 6 Wall Runs

2x Box HeSPU, 6 Wall Runs

rest 5 mins

2x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

Cooldown:

Ido's Scapular Mobilization Routine

Notes:

  • [*:4dzpkkaj]This WOD was so much easier than last time (a month ago)!
    [*:4dzpkkaj]I wasn't really paying attention, but my "Cast" Wall Walks were probably significantly performed with my hands in front of my shoulders. They're still quite difficult.
    [*:4dzpkkaj]Both Box Press HeS felt really good today.
    [*:4dzpkkaj]I wish I could do a HeSPU so I could do the HSPU with 3 rungs. It takes ages with just 2.
    [*:4dzpkkaj]A couple of the rest breaks were more like 7 minutes - I was doing some computer work while I rested! I could have probably got away with 3 minutes for most of the sets today.
    [*:4dzpkkaj]Did my first non-knees Wrist Pushup - hugely piked though, and there's no way I could do many of 'em yet.

Tarun Suri

sgreg, you're not the only one. I stopped after 5 reps. I started taking rest breaks at the end of rep 3. I just ain't comfortable on my hands yet.

Kiyoshi

I did it , it was too easy so I think I must have done it wrong.

Warm up :

I did

like 15-30 pullups

Front lever- 30 sec

Back Lever- 30 sec

I was doing the Workout of the day in a park, so the only place I could do the handstands against the wall were in the cage next to these kids playing baseball.

I did 1x10 cast walks (but I did about 3 in a row before almost getting hit with a baseball, had to restart and did 4, and then finish it with like 3 more)

I did the box presses on something about (11' ) off the ground only about ankle/shin height. However I think I did them wrong, I never done them before so I used a small kick up from it to do the press. Am I suppose to put all the weight on my hands first and then raise legs? How bad is using a slight kick? also I held a handstand for only about 1-2 secs then. how long you suppose to hold?

Then I did the ladders,

3 sets of:

cast wall walk into handstand

7 wall runs

3 headstand pushups (stomach to wall)

cast walk out of handstand

1 headstand negative pushup (back to wall)

1 headstand negative pushup (back to wall)

3 headstand pushups (stomach to wall)

7 wall runs

cast walk out of handstand

After that I was hardly tired, so I did like 30-40 more pullups. And a few one legged squats

Artaho

Hi, I'd jus like to introduce myself My name is Allen Artaho from Hawaii. I've been lurking around the forms, only recently I decided to make account. Today is the first day I'm starting the WOD was Tuff also decided to make a vid any advice will be appreciated :D

WU: shoulder circles then jumped rope for 3mins straight then stretched

FSP:

2sets Straddle L - Tucked FL 15sec

2sets planche lean - reverse push up 15sec

2sets Tucked L-sit - German Hang 15sec

3sets to do 10reps Cast Wall Walks

2sets to do 5reps Tucked Pike box press

3sets to do 10reps Straddled box press

With the Presses I have hard time w/ em, I feel mainly bcuz I'm not flexible. My Hams r super tight according to my Physical therapist.

Walking HSPU ladders: Did 4rounds, but 4got to reverse (Plus I didn't know when to reverse)

1st round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2HeSPU, 6HS wall runs, 1 wall HSPU on PB's (not on vid)

2nd round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU, 6HS wall runs, HeSPU on Push Up handles

3rd round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU,forgot :oops: 6HS wall runs, 2HeSPU on Push Up handles,

4th round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU,forgot :oops: 6HS wall runs, 1 1/2HeSPU on Push Up handles, 6HS wall runs

Alexander Moreen
Kiyoshi said:

...

I did the box presses on something about (11' ) off the ground only about ankle/shin height. However I think I did them wrong, I never done them before so I used a small kick up from it to do the press. Am I suppose to put all the weight on my hands first and then raise legs? How bad is using a slight kick? also I held a handstand for only about 1-2 secs then. how long you suppose to hold?

...

Don't kick up at all, it makes it impossible to tell how much kick you are using. You put all your weight on your hands(and head if you are keeping your head on the ground for headstand presses), and then lift your hips up above your shoulders and then extend your legs. Don't extend your legs at all until you have stacked your hips and shoulders. Stay in a handstand for as long as it takes for you to feel you are in a stable handstand, doesn't really matter in this case, and then lower yourself back down to your box if you are able to under control. That means you should be able to stop and hold your self in any position above the box without falling back down.

Your ladders are also kinda messed up, but I will refer you to slizzardmans post above.

Alexander Moreen
Artaho said:
Hi, I'd jus like to introduce myself My name is Allen Artaho from Hawaii. I've been lurking around the forms, only recently I decided to make account. Today is the first day I'm starting the WOD was Tuff also decided to make a vid any advice will be appreciated :D

WU: shoulder circles then jumped rope for 3mins straight then stretched

FSP:

2sets Straddle L - Tucked FL 15sec

2sets planche lean - reverse push up 15sec

2sets Tucked L-sit - German Hang 15sec

3sets to do 10reps Cast Wall Walks

2sets to do 5reps Tucked Pike box press

3sets to do 10reps Straddled box press

With the Presses I have hard time w/ em, I feel mainly bcuz I'm not flexible. My Hams r super tight according to my Physical therapist.

Walking HSPU ladders: Did 4rounds, but 4got to reverse (Plus I didn't know when to reverse)

1st round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2HeSPU, 6HS wall runs, 1 wall HSPU on PB's (not on vid)

2nd round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU, 6HS wall runs, HeSPU on Push Up handles

3rd round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU,forgot :oops: 6HS wall runs, 2HeSPU on Push Up handles,

4th round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU,forgot :oops: 6HS wall runs, 1 1/2HeSPU on Push Up handles, 6HS wall runs

Welcome to the boards! Great to see more people here, especially people making videos. In terms of advice; make sure to keep your body hollow and your shoulders extended during your cast wall walks, which means keep you shoulders shrugged and don't let your hips drop. For your presses try moving your hands back a bit, as it will give you a bit more leverage to push with, and make sure you get your back all the way up before you try to raise your legs - and no kicking! remember its about the press. For the HSPU ladders, reverse after your last rung and start with the highest rung and work backwards. So for example 2 HeSPU box, 2 HeSPU negatives, 2 HeSPU, rest, 2 HeSPU, 2 HeSPU negatives, 2 HeSPU box. Other than that great job and hope you enjoy the WODS.

Artaho
Lavastine said:
Artaho said:
Hi, I'd jus like to introduce myself My name is Allen Artaho from Hawaii. I've been lurking around the forms, only recently I decided to make account. Today is the first day I'm starting the WOD was Tuff also decided to make a vid any advice will be appreciated :D

WU: shoulder circles then jumped rope for 3mins straight then stretched

FSP:

2sets Straddle L - Tucked FL 15sec

2sets planche lean - reverse push up 15sec

2sets Tucked L-sit - German Hang 15sec

3sets to do 10reps Cast Wall Walks

2sets to do 5reps Tucked Pike box press

3sets to do 10reps Straddled box press

With the Presses I have hard time w/ em, I feel mainly bcuz I'm not flexible. My Hams r super tight according to my Physical therapist.

Walking HSPU ladders: Did 4rounds, but 4got to reverse (Plus I didn't know when to reverse)

1st round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2HeSPU, 6HS wall runs, 1 wall HSPU on PB's (not on vid)

2nd round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU, 6HS wall runs, HeSPU on Push Up handles

3rd round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU,forgot :oops: 6HS wall runs, 2HeSPU on Push Up handles,

4th round - 2HeSPU box, 6HS wall runs, 2neg. HeSPU,forgot :oops: 6HS wall runs, 1 1/2HeSPU on Push Up handles, 6HS wall runs

Welcome to the boards! Great to see more people here, especially people making videos. In terms of advice; make sure to keep your body hollow and your shoulders extended during your cast wall walks, which means keep you shoulders shrugged and don't let your hips drop. For your presses try moving your hands back a bit, as it will give you a bit more leverage to push with, and make sure you get your back all the way up before you try to raise your legs - and no kicking! remember its about the press. For the HSPU ladders, reverse after your last rung and start with the highest rung and work backwards. So for example 2 HeSPU box, 2 HeSPU negatives, 2 HeSPU, rest, 2 HeSPU, 2 HeSPU negatives, 2 HeSPU box. Other than that great job and hope you enjoy the WODS.

Hey Thanks for the advice n welcome. Yea the presses I need to work em alot and stretching my hams, but w/ the HSPU ladders I did 4rounds so 2 of does rounds shuda been reversed like how u explained it or since I did 4rounds would I have to do 4 more rounds in reverse...so a total of 8rounds?

Cole Dano

Nice way to introduce yourself Artaho!

The cast walks were good other than the body line issues.

Work on hollow and arch holds if you haven't been doing so up to now, they will help the body line and the pressing motion.

Naturally hamstrings come into play there as well.

I thought the walk walks you did were very nice, you're the opposite of me. I find them hard but the pressing not as.

Overall the biggest thought i have is to slow down just a bit, and be more precise with your alignment as it seemed to be all over the place from found to round. Remember we are building a foundation here for some more challenging variations, there's no hurry to get there, but you don't want to wait to iron out some of the bigger details.

Nice to have you aboard!

Tyler Schmitz

Today's WOD:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

Rest 2 min

1 x 5 Straddle Press HS negative

Rest 2 min

1x10 Wall Straddle Press HS negative

Rest 5 min

3 rds HSPU ladder: 2 Box HeSPU, 6 HS wall walks, 2 HeSPU negative, 6 HS wall walks, 2 HeSPU, 6 HS wall walks,2 Elevated HSPU, 6 HS wall walks <-- in this order then once i reached the top, rest 5 min and went back down, total of 3 times

Finished with 2 x 10 wrist pushups

Josh Schmitter

Cast Wall Walks -about 4 steps out from wall (5,5)

1x5 Pike press Hes

1x10 Straddle Press HeS

Ladder : 1 round repeated 10 times (i.e. 2 pike pushups, 6 steps, each side, wall run)

2 x 10 wrist pushups.

Felt good. Wrists felt fine, the wrist pushups felt a little more troublesome than normal, but other than that.

Artaho
Mr Brady said:
Nice way to introduce yourself Artaho!

The cast walks were good other than the body line issues.

Work on hollow and arch holds if you haven't been doing so up to now, they will help the body line and the pressing motion.

Naturally hamstrings come into play there as well.

I thought the walk walks you did were very nice, you're the opposite of me. I find them hard but the pressing not as.

Overall the biggest thought i have is to slow down just a bit, and be more precise with your alignment as it seemed to be all over the place from found to round. Remember we are building a foundation here for some more challenging variations, there's no hurry to get there, but you don't want to wait to iron out some of the bigger details.

Nice to have you aboard!

Thanks Mr Brady and everyone giving me advice, I appreciate it. This was my first time doing the WOD and it was kinda a spur of the moment workout so thats y it was all scrambled. Plus I never done most of these moves so I didn't know how to scale em. Now I kinda have an idea of how to scale the WOD. btw I've tried searching, but can't seem to find info on hollow and arch holds, idk how to do em...sorry newbie :oops:

Samuel Carr

Why is it im strong enough to do a straddle press handstand but not even the ascent portion of a HeSPU???????

Joshua Naterman

LOL! That's an amazing disparity between the straight arm pressing strength and bent arm pressing strength! You may just be excellently flexible and therefore able to achieve the position necessary for a (relatively) easy press, I don't know! However, I would simply think that more of your time has been spent there, and so you just haven't built up the strength for the HeSPU yet.

Of course I don't know any of that for sure since I don't know your training history at all, but hey, I'm guessing! :P What IS going on?

Alexander Moreen
Artaho said:

...

btw I've tried searching, but can't seem to find info on hollow and arch holds, idk how to do em...sorry newbie :oops:

A Hollow hold is when you have your hips rotated up lengthening the lower spine, with your body straight or at least relatively so. Like http://www.drillsandskills.com/images/display?path=hollow.jpg from drills and skills, or like the body position in

from our very own gymnastic bodies.

A Arch hold is kinda the opposite of that, with the hips open and the lower spine shortened. Like http://www.drillsandskills.com/images/display?path=arch.jpg or

.

You can also watch

to get an idea of the extremes of both positions, but remember that hollow is normally trained as close to straight as possible.
Samuel Carr
slizzardman said:
LOL! That's an amazing disparity between the straight arm pressing strength and bent arm pressing strength! You may just be excellently flexible and therefore able to achieve the position necessary for a (relatively) easy press, I don't know! However, I would simply think that more of your time has been spent there, and so you just haven't built up the strength for the HeSPU yet.

Of course I don't know any of that for sure since I don't know your training history at all, but hey, I'm guessing! :P What IS going on?

I dont think it's a matter of strength because i don't seem to have that great of straight arm/shoulder extension strength on other exercises. And as far as flexibility i can touch my face to the ground on a straddle pancake stretch which doesnt seem that great either.... Im thinking maybe i just have the kinesthetic awareness and technique down for the straddle press HS, but not for the HeSPU yet. I have been following the advice you gave to another user about doing one set of 3-5 reps of HeSPU (shortened ROM) during the warm up before each WOD and am hoping that it will significantly help.

Joshua Naterman
element3904 said:
...And as far as flexibility i can touch my face to the ground on a straddle pancake stretch...

I have been following the advice you gave to another user about doing one set of 3-5 reps of HeSPU (shortened ROM) during the warm up before each WOD and am hoping that it will significantly help.

That's pretty good flexibility. That's probably got almost everything to do with it, and of course having that kinesthetic awareness is important too for the straddle press.

As for the HeSPU, I think that's strength. The shortened ROM may help a lot if you do it SSC style. I also think that isometric holds will be very good for you.

Samuel Carr

Ya im doing it SSC style, adding about 1 inch of ROM every 4-6 weeks. Okay thanks. I'll start to add in a couple isometric static HS holds into my warm-up too