This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100923

Started by Coach Sommer, September 23, 2010 · 15 Replies · 2,345 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

5x60m Sled Sprint

5x5 Natural Leg Curl

2x5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between sets.

2) This is a maximal strength workout. Do not perform these exercises as a giant set. Perform one set and then rest. Complete all of the sets for each exercise in the following order; Sled Sprints then move on to Natural Leg Curls, then move on to Weighted Jumping Deck Squats.

3) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous. If you do not have enough room for a 60m continuous sprint, then sprint 30m out and then 30m back (this is what my team athletes do 8)).

4) If you lack access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possibly even better than the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

5) Remember to keep the hips flat at all times and the assistance of the arms to an absolute minimum during the Natural Leg Curls.

6) Perform the weighted deck squats by holding the weight out in front of you during the entire movement. The plate should vary in weight from 25-45lbs. However if you are unable to jump explosively off of the ground, then the weight is too heavy and should be reduced. Use the same weight for all three sets.

7) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

Ryan Hutchins

I still have those shin splints and really don't want to aggravate them. What can i substitute for the sled sprints to still get Some benefit out of this part of the workout.

Daniel Mitchell

Great workout.

I've been following here for a long while and done a few of the workouts every once in a while

but haven't posted and then I choose a maximal day to post ugg :-)

Well I did:

3x(almost/guesstimate)30m Hill Sprints with Weight Vest(X-Vest)

3x3 Almost NLC's with some piking and arm usage (well I did 4 on the last round)

2x5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats with a 10 pound barbell plate

and finished with 3x5 Hip Extensions with the prescribed forwards, sideways, circulars.

and then did a few planche leans for roughly 15 seconds each, hands backwards and then a few okay back to the wall handstands.

What I'm wondering is if coach could post with the WoDs stretches/statics he recommends for each day for the warmup, not really how long but which would be best to focus on for that days workout since I never really know which to do.

Just something I've been thinking on.

Thanks for a great workout.

Joshua Naterman
Spyman290 said:
Great workout.

I've been following here for a long while and done a few of the workouts every once in a while

but haven't posted and then I choose a maximal day to post ugg :-)

Well I did:

3x(almost/guesstimate)30m Hill Sprints with Weight Vest(X-Vest)

3x3 Almost NLC's with some piking and arm usage (well I did 4 on the last round)

2x5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats with a 10 pound barbell plate

and finished with 3x5 Hip Extensions with the prescribed forwards, sideways, circulars.

and then did a few planche leans for roughly 15 seconds each, hands backwards and then a few okay back to the wall handstands.

What I'm wondering is if coach could post with the WoDs stretches/statics he recommends for each day for the warmup, not really how long but which would be best to focus on for that days workout since I never really know which to do.

Just something I've been thinking on.

Thanks for a great workout.

Your general warm up should be the same each day, and should include something(s) to get blood flowing (jogging, some jumping, jump rope, etc) followed by some dynamic stretching mixed with some short statics (10 second reps), and finish with FSP work. You work all your FSP each warm up. There is some information floating around as to when you know you are ok to start the actual progressions in the book, and I will be consolidating a bit of that and putting it in a sticky in the "getting started" forum. It will not be absolutely complete as much of it is unreleased info, and to be perfectly honest even the beginning stages will probably be a challenge for some time. There is no need to know additional steps until the first steps have been consistently perfect for a few weeks, because you shouldn't be focusing on the future, you should be focusing on where you are NOW. I am hoping to have that post finished tonight. It will probably not be a thread for full discussion, only for information, but I don't know. We'll have to see, I mean there really isn't much of anything to discuss about it. It is what it is.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

500m Row

15s Samson Stretch

10 Shoulder Dislocate

10 Box Jumps (24")

50 Skips

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15s, 20s)

2 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck/Flat Tuck; 15s, 20s)

2 x 1 Planche (Tuck; 10s, 10s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Bent; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Flat Tuck; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 5s)

WOD:

5 x 60m Sprint (20# Vest); rest 20s; 20 Box Jumps still with Vest (12"). Rest 2 minutes.

5 x 5 Half GHRs. Rest 3 minutes

20 minutes Handstand work.

Finish with 3 x 10 Hip Extensions. Stretch.

Alvaro

some static bike, jumping, movilization. 20 sec FSB. ( I have to increase slowly on this)

5x 20 sec sprints on the mill 15 degrees up speed from 10 to 13 km/h. Im not very fast but hoping to improve a bit!

5x5 natural leg curl( more like falling and rebounding in style!)

5x 5 jumping deck squat with 5 kg.

2x10 hip thrusts with 15 kgs( just to finish the glutes as the sprints were a bit soft, is ok to do this execice here?)

3x10 hip extension

after the natural leg curls my biceps where very tight so I had to stretch quite a bit!

Justin Kyle

Todays WOD:

FSP warm up:

-4x15 sec advanced L-sit

-1x30 sec adv. frog stand/ 4 sets of 5-6 sec tuck planche

-3x15 sec. adv tuck BL (on the fourth set i did a reverse crank, full BL, straddled, then pull out back to inverted hang)

-4x15 sec. adv. tuck FL (feeling really good)

WOD:

5x60m sprints (I put two 15 pound plates on a folded mat and pushed it down and back across the floor)

5x5 Natural Leg curls (these destroy me every time!)

2x10 Killers - I didn't have a heavy enough plate to make the weighted jumping deck squats difficult so I did killers with 20 pounds in each hand.

3x10 Hip extensions ( I think i did these right based on the description but who knows)

Max Johnson

Warmup:

Jumprope, shoulder circles/shrugs

Wrist series (palm down/up leans, 1x10 knee pushups of: dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger, fingertip hopping)

FSP warmup:

2 x (20s Bent Straddle-L + 15s Lowish L-hang)

2 x (15s Planche Lean + 15s Reverse Pushup)

2 x (20s Bent L-sit + 15s Assisted German Hang)

WOD

With 5 mins between sets, perform the following:

5x Sprint up+down two flights of stairs 3/3/3/2/2 times with 48.5 lbs backpack

5x5 Natural Leg Curl

2x5 Weighted (10 lb) Jumping Deck Squats

2x10 Hip Extensions (1x10 forwards, 1x10 sideways)

Notes:

  • [*:3h9hi6zs]The Sprints take me 60s (40s later) to perform because I have to go back down the stairs again. Is this too long? It takes me this long to reach near-failure, and I can't easily add more weight.
    [*:3h9hi6zs]My legs cramped up in the first 2 sets of NLC, but were strangely fine later. I find it hard to keep my hips flat sometimes.
    [*:3h9hi6zs]I can almost handle 20 lbs of books in a bag that I couldn't hold out very far from my body, so I might've been able to handle a 20lbs plate/dumbell if I had one for the Jumping Deck Squats. As it was, I could keep the explosiveness while holding 10lbs of books

Joshua Naterman

Well, this was a good workout!

I like the longer sled sprints. I did this exactly as prescribed. weighted deck squat jumps were with 20 lbs. Sled sprintss were with 90 lbs for the first one and then 110 lbs for the next 4. That 20 lbs makes a noticeable difference.

Tyler Schmitz

WOD as rx'd:

5 x 60 m sled/tire sprints (with a large punching bag tied to a rope tied to a belt over my chest)

Rested 5 min between sets

5 x 5 Natural Leg curl (first 3 reps of 1st set were open hip but from then on only half open hip)

Rested 5 min between sets

2 x 5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats (holding 30 lb of plates)

Rested 5 min between sets

Finished with 3 x 10 Hip Extensions

Sled/Tire sprints completely exhausted me; not used to the extra length of run!!

Getting stronger at natural leg curls

AJ Ruffer

Ahh, pressed for time so I had to cut this one short.

3x5 Weight Vest Sprints (40 lbs)

3x5 NLC (fingertip assist last two sets)

2x10 Jumping Deck Squats (25 lbs)

3 min rest/set

3x10 Hip Extensions

First time I did a whole set of NLC without helping myself =D

Joshua Naterman

Nice!

Josh Schmitter

Sled Sprints as Rx'd - picked up some old tires today so by next time my sled should be ready :)

5x5 half GHR - these felt better than last time. Only minimal spotting about halfway through.

2x5 Weighted Jumping Decks - holding small cinder block.

hips extensions were brutal. Did 10 reps of straight and side, then alternated 5 reps back and forth for the circles.

When coach says holding it out in front does this mean straight arm...because if so that will severely limit the weight I use. I had bent arms and it was very tough on my upper back.

Tarun Suri
TANSTAAFL said:

hips extensions were brutal. Did 10 reps of straight and side, then alternated 5 reps back and forth for the circles.

When coach says holding it out in front does this mean straight arm...because if so that will severely limit the weight I use. I had bent arms and it was very tough on my upper back.

Hip extensions, straight arms, weights, upper back :?: Clearly, I did not understand the original explanation of hip extensions and have been doing them very wrong :?

Joshua Naterman

TANS: I think you may need to re-read the article about hip extensions. You should see the hyperlink text in the WOD description in Coach's post. The words "Hip Extensions." are underlined. Click there.

Josh Schmitter
TANSTAAFL said:
When coach says holding it out in front does this mean straight arm...because if so that will severely limit the weight I use. I had bent arms and it was very tough on my upper back.

My apologies for the confusion. This was referring to the weighted deck squats...although I would have liked to see what randomhavoc came up with :).