This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100916

Started by Coach Sommer, September 16, 2010 · 19 Replies · 2,622 Views

Coach Sommer

YS8ol0rx1m8

Complete four rounds:

40’

5 Russian Dips

10 PB Dips

15 Swinging Dips

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Move immediately from the Ag Walks to the Russian Dips.

2) After the Russian Dips take 2-3 breaths and then move immediately to the PB Dips.

3) After the PB Dips take 2-3 breaths and then move immediately to the Swinging Dips.

4) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds

5) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement

Samuel Carr

In the video for swinging dips above it looks as if he is not completely locking out his elbows at the top of the dip

M_L_T@Hotmail.com

Morning!

I did not succeed in this WOD last time around. The 15 swing dips at the end were too much. What is the correct way to scale them?

Do you take the dip out of the swing or vice versa until you are left with a PB dip again??

I tried to complete them in a tuck but that was still a little beyond me for the rep range. I settled on just swinging in a tuck position with straight arms and trying to press through as far as possible, pausing at the top of the range.

If I took the swing out and just continued to do PB Dips the resulting 25 reps was again to much for me and I regularly fatigued 6-9 reps short of the total.

Thanks for any direction

Mark

Samuel Carr

To scale the swinging dips try to really strive to push your hips up behind and in front of you (whether youre dipping on the front or back swing) and use the momentum to carry you through the movement to the top of the dip. Im pretty sure that since this is a dynamic strength movement, its necessary to utilize both the swing and the dipping motion to receive all the benefits. You can also use a smaller range of motion for the dipping part.

Gavin Strelitz

I have only just started training upper body again after my injury, so this one was pretty brutal and I couldn't do too much of it.

Completed 2 rounds of:

10 foot Ag Walks

5 Russian Dips

5 PB dips

Maybe 1 or 2 swinging dips. These need alot of work and were quite funny to do. My timing is waaaaaay out.

Kiyoshi

I dont have parallel bars, how do I do these? I have pullup bar, thats it.

Anyway to do them on the ground?

Thanks

Kenneth Manning

Ah ag walks... the non slip rubber floor in my workout room does not like these...

Today's WOD

L sit "scoot" (rise up into L sit, hold for 1 count, push forward with both hands) x 20' x all 4 rounds

Russian dips 5,5,5,5

PB dips 10,10, (8+2), (6+4)

Swinging dips (forward, 1/2-3/4 ROM) 15, (8+7), (7+8), (7+5+3)

Wrist pushups (on knees) 10,10 - triceps were so fried I just couldn't get the propulsion to do these normally

*Russian dips getting stronger ever workout

*swinging dips are still a work in progress - having these at the end of these dip-centric workouts is so damn tough!

Saber2
Kiyoshi said:
I dont have parallel bars, how do I do these? I have pullup bar, thats it.

Anyway to do them on the ground?

Thanks

You can do dips a few ways. You can try using the backs of two chairs. You can use the corner of a counter or even do them on stairs. However if you can I would highly recommend buying or making a pair of rings/straps. Rings are way more comfortable when doing dips on them IMHO. Also for about 25 dollars you can make a pair of parallettes.

I will not be doing the swinging dips tomorrow but will attempt L sit to planche swings on the parallettes. I tried the swinging dips on chairs and that didn't work out so well. Everything else will be on rings so I will try lowering into the transition for the MU as a substitute for Russian dips.

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

WU:

15 Reverse Dips

10 Shoulder Dislocate

15s Samson Stretch

FSP:

2 x 1 Straddle L (OAC; 5s, 5s) tried it out but can't hold long enough

2 x 1 Front Lever (Tuck; 15s, 20s)

2 x 1 Planche (Adv. Frog; 20s, 20s)

2 x 1 Manna (PB Bent; 15s, 15s)

2 x 1 Back Lever (Flat Tuck; 15s, 10s)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 5s, 5s) feeling stronger in this one gonna head for 10s next one.

WOD:

4 Rounds:

40' L-Sit Walks with feet on frisbee.

5 Russian Dips

10 PB Dips

15 Swinging Dips

Rest 2 mins.

Finished with 2 x 10 Wrist Pushups & 2 x 10 Side rotator cuff (2#). Stretched.

Question: If Russian Dips are getting easy and PB Dips are getting easy... should I put harder progressions or do them slower? IF so which ones :?:

Cole Dano
Saber2 said:

I will not be doing the swinging dips tomorrow but will attempt L sit to planche swings on the parallettes. I tried the swinging dips on chairs and that didn't work out so well. Everything else will be on rings so I will try lowering into the transition for the MU as a substitute for Russian dips.

That's an interesting idea. I might have to try myself. Next on the list is to come up with some kind of PB system.

I've been using chairs with this set up, and its ok, as long as i don't push too hard.

I put the chairs on a yoga mat so they don't slide around, and then put 24kg of weight on the chairs. Its fairly stable that way. The part that i don't like is the chairs i have kill my palms. It was fantastic using real PBs at the seminar!

Speaking of, Coach got Ido doing full dipping swings to handstand, which was very nice to witness.

Tyler Schmitz

WOD as rx'd:

4 rds:

40 ' Ag Walks (in garage sliding with socks on)

Rest 15 sec

5 Russian Dips (all dips done between my truck bed and trampoline side)

Rest 15 sec

10 PB Dips

Rest 15 sec

15 Swinging Dips(13 and 2 first rd; 10 and 5 second rd; 8 and 6 third rd; 7,4, and 4 fourth rd)

Rested 3 min between rounds

2 x 10 Elevated Wrist pushups

OMG! those swinging dips were frustrating! I think I did better at this WOD last time! My triceps are still hurting from Tues! and had tumbling class yest. so felt weak today!!Cant wait for next ring series- my favorite wods.

Freeflyer

Warm Up:

  • [*:1xe17p32]500m Row @ 1:43/500m
    [*:1xe17p32]2 Rounds: 20 pushups; 10 pull ups; 10 GHD situps; 10 OHS - 45lbs; 5 HeSPU (partial ROM); 6 TGU (3ea) - 16kg
    [*:1xe17p32]5 SLS ea leg
    [*:1xe17p32]18' rope climb - no feet up, foot assisted cirque down
    [*:1xe17p32]Superset 3 x 20sec Frog Stand/3 x 20sec PLL
    [*:1xe17p32]Superset 3 x 20sec XR Shoulderstand/3 x 30sec Wall HS
    [*:1xe17p32]Superset 5 x 10sec XR support/5 x 10sec Bent knee Straddle L

GB WOD:

2 Rounds:

  • [*:1xe17p32]15 XR dips (12,3) (8,4,3)
    [*:1xe17p32]15 XR swings (10,5) (5,5,5) - no dipping, just tried to swing as high as possible each way

  • [*:1xe17p32]600-700m run - focused on opening up my stride angle, while keeping my lead leg underneath me (watch video in my training log to understand)
    [*:1xe17p32]2 x 10 wrist pushups - knees

Thoughts:

  • [*:1xe17p32]Didn't write WOD down and totally forgot about AG Walks :(
    [*:1xe17p32]Frog stand unbroken, no toe tapping!
    [*:1xe17p32]Tried to hold all statics with locked elbow today. For me this is well past 180* and is pretty difficult, especially on the XR supports. I am not used to holding my body weight in the hyperextended position, but straight arms is not locked out for me so on the advice of some, I am trying to build up the strength in the locked position...
    [*:1xe17p32]Chose to do only 2 rounds for the main WOD today because my elbow had been bugging me most of the day after lugging around some heavy shit at work. Interestingly after the first round of the warm up I didn't feel any elbow pain, but I decided it would be best to not press my luck and just cut down the volume despite not feeling any pain. I would rather get a slightly smaller workout than have to sit out 10 WODs because I was overzealous.

Joshua Naterman

I just did Ring Man Jeff's band warm up with a free-motion(tm!) machine as usual, some tricep extensions and biceps curls with the cable machine and dumbbells, some scapular retraction and depression work(getting NOTICEABLY better) and 4 sets of 15 dips, with some fairly short (30-60s) stretches at the bottom of the dip. I did one set of PPP at the end, hands backwards and wrists at my belly button. I also did 4 fairly ugly tuck planche push ups on the dip pads. Yes, pads. I did my dips on the forearm rests of the knee-raise set up. I like these! The dip bars they have at the university gym are total garbage.

I'm a bit weak in the handstand department today, but I can walk 40 feet forward under control and about 8 feet backwards on my hands! Maybe I really WILL be able to go all the way down and back the floor next May! :P

I also did planche leans and some FL work, but not too much. I can pull up into a 2s full lay FL from a dead hang with straight arms. I should have a really wicked FL to bust out next year. L sit is improving a lot too now that I am consistently working it and my flexibility!

It will be a while before my elbows are at full capacity, but the strength is coming. That's my battle, to not use the strength I am building. It's tough.

Wheelson

slizz just a thought for you. I've heard the best "supplement" for tendon repair is plain gelatin. Gelatin is more or less made from the tendons, bones, and ligaments of animals, so it provides the best building blocks for repairing your own. It's basically hydrolyzed collagen a very complex tissue and hard to recreate, and your tendons are made up of %90 collagen. hope this helps!

Samuel Carr

Wow apparently my dipping strength is really weak.

warm-up

4 Rounds of:

60 seconds static Ag walk position (super hard to slide feet on ground barefoot in dirt)

5 russian dips

10 PB dips half ROM

15 support swings with 1 dip every 5 swings

Joshua Naterman
Wheelson said:
slizz just a thought for you. I've heard the best "supplement" for tendon repair is plain gelatin. Gelatin is more or less made from the tendons, bones, and ligaments of animals, so it provides the best building blocks for repairing your own. It's basically hydrolyzed collagen a very complex tissue and hard to recreate, and your tendons are made up of %90 collagen. hope this helps!

Interesting! Thank you!

You know, I always heard gelatin get ridiculed, but I never actually found out what it is. I AM going to get on a good joint rehab supplement program, I need that. I'm going to look more into that.

Edit: Upon completing some cursory research it seems that Gelatin is actually quite a good idea. Thank you! Not badly priced either.

Neal Winkler
Wheelson said:
slizz just a thought for you. I've heard the best "supplement" for tendon repair is plain gelatin. Gelatin is more or less made from the tendons, bones, and ligaments of animals, so it provides the best building blocks for repairing your own. It's basically hydrolyzed collagen a very complex tissue and hard to recreate, and your tendons are made up of %90 collagen. hope this helps!

Reference?

Joshua Naterman

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20155383

It's bed time, that's all I have time for. Gelatin supplementation is actually quite well known for producing stronger hair and nails. My girlfriend's family and extended family are all in the beauty industry and have tons of first-hand experience with the difference it makes, and there is quite a lot of material out there covering anecdotal evidence over a wide spectrum of people supporting the supplementation. There is also the "recent" finding that *SURPRISE!!!* eating chicken cartilage helps your body maintain it's own cartilage. The Chinese and perhaps many other indigenous cultures have known about this for thousands of years. Collagen is a structural fiber and is abundant in skin and bone, so the more animal skin/bone you eat the better off you will be. How funny that I have recently started eating about 1/3 of each large chicken bone... I like it. Of course you could also just buy the hydrolyzed collagen/gelatin.

Wheelson
slizzardman said:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20155383

It's bed time, that's all I have time for. Gelatin supplementation is actually quite well known for producing stronger hair and nails. My girlfriend's family and extended family are all in the beauty industry and have tons of first-hand experience with the difference it makes, and there is quite a lot of material out there covering anecdotal evidence over a wide spectrum of people supporting the supplementation. There is also the "recent" finding that *SURPRISE!!!* eating chicken cartilage helps your body maintain it's own cartilage. The Chinese and perhaps many other indigenous cultures have known about this for thousands of years. Collagen is a structural fiber and is abundant in skin and bone, so the more animal skin/bone you eat the better off you will be. How funny that I have recently started eating about 1/3 of each large chicken bone... I like it. Of course you could also just buy the hydrolyzed collagen/gelatin.

I can see you already know this information haha. The gelatin is quite expensive if I recall correctly, but if you're trying to keep the calories down it may be a good alternative to the animal skin, and many are squeamish when it comes to eating animal bone -to each his own! I plain on going slow and just avoiding the ordeal to begin with :lol:

Saber2

WOD as follows:

4 rounds of:

60 second planks (I am hoping this will help carry over into the lever work)

5 xr russian dips (Legs in front of me on chair. This allowed me to control how low I go. for progression ideas I will use smaller objects to place my feet on until I can do it freely)

10 Xr Dips

15 L sit to planche swings (These are so brutal after doing all the dips. I definitely want to build some PB because, what would be nice is make a pair that I can dissasemble because the misses will be very upset if I have a pair lying around.)

Overall great workout. If I don't post tomorrow it will be almost a week before I get back to posting. I have a couple of business trips in the pipeline. When I travel my training is more on the conditioning/maintaining aspect rather than building.