Simple foundation building beginners routine

Started by jakaro, September 14, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,768 Views

jakaro

Ok I'm fairly new to this site and style of training but am making great progress and am really hooked. I have been trying to come up with a simple routine that'd get me ready for more intense training. I have researched as much time away as I can afford and have come up with this daily routine to use for the next 4-6 weeks:

warmups:

shoulder prehab with Thera band

wall extentions

a little stretching

1. l-sit on parallettes: 60 sec (6x10sec, I can't hold the l the whole 10 sec, I switch to tuck when I fail)

I think this would cover l-sit and p-bar support as also recommended.

I will alternate this with pike stretches between holds.

2. German hangs (not sure sets/reps yet)

3. Handstands (belly to wall) 3x30 seconds (adding 10 sec a week maybe?)

alternated with pullups or tuck sit chins

4. Wall bridges/weighted pike stetch

5. Hollow back/arch back support holds 3x10 sec holds adding a bit every week

I think that's about it, comments, support appreciated.

I will also be running some, probably every other day, 2-3 miles.

I may stop running thru winter to focus on building stregth.

I can't add much as far as volume due to time constraints.

Joshua Naterman

I don't know what #5 means. Also, make sure you have at least 2 rest days per week, with one almost total rest day. These would be the best days to run.

You may run into an endurance issue with the L sit since you will be training the higher threshold muscle fibers to a much greater extent than the lower threshold fibers. You really should build up to a 60s tuck L sit first, and then move to low straight legs, and then start raising them towards parallel as you achieve 60s in each angle as you raise them. I don't think there's anything wrong with you doing what you are currently doing once or twice a week, but most of your FSP training should be fairly low intensity.

jakaro

Strange I started this thread but there's 2 of them on here, this one and another of the same but with different responses, weird.

So stay on tuck til I can do 60 sec, then switch to low l til I hit 60, then regular l, and so on, keeping the prior progression as a warmup for 30 sec. So get to 60 sec tuck then switch to a 30 sec tuck (as warmup) and then sets of low l to hit 60, so basically 1.5 minutes of l-sit training total after I get past the 60 sec tuck. I'll try that today, probably aim for 4x15 tuck to start.

So the only thing with doing tuck l-sit is to focus on strong locked arms and pushing the hips forward while keeping the knees as high as possible, right?

It does seem a bit intense squeezing for my life daily, kinda like I'm maxing out daily- on a good note, it seems to be working.

Thanks for the info man!

Joshua Naterman
jakaro said:
Strange I started this thread but there's 2 of them on here, this one and another of the same but with different responses, weird.

So stay on tuck til I can do 60 sec, then switch to low l til I hit 60, then regular l, and so on, keeping the prior progression as a warmup for 30 sec. So get to 60 sec tuck then switch to a 30 sec tuck (as warmup) and then sets of low l to hit 60, so basically 1.5 minutes of l-sit training total after I get past the 60 sec tuck. I'll try that today, probably aim for 4x15 tuck to start.

So the only thing with doing tuck l-sit is to focus on strong locked arms and pushing the hips forward while keeping the knees as high as possible, right?

It does seem a bit intense squeezing for my life daily, kinda like I'm maxing out daily- on a good note, it seems to be working.

Thanks for the info man!

You want your upper legs parallel with the ground and locked arms, yes. At first try to be in a 90/90 position, as if you were sitting in an invisible chair. Once you hit 60s in one set there, start extending your legs until you can only hold for 30s, and start working 15s sets (half of the 30s max) there until you hit 60 again, and then straighten some more. I personally prefer that to the low straight, as it is easier to control the resistance, but both will get you to the same place: a 60s L sit, which is a pre-requisite for just about everything! You are best off not worrying about planche yet, and instead focusing your energy on the L sit unless you are already doing good 10+s work sets of a very nice tuck planche. In that case it is recommended that you maintain that ability and focus on the L-sit and handstand work, as those two are the most important fundamental parts of bodyweight strength. They transfer to so many other exercises that it is impossible to think of them all.

jakaro

It seems like we need a diagram, help guide us with these progressions because I'm very sure that it is important to follow to avoid unnesesary (can't spell sorry, I tried it several ways) setbanks down the line.

So here's what I got:

I'm sure there's some fundamental handstand progression, but I'm not clear, other that decent headstand (maybe 30 or 60 sec?) before starting handstands against wAll and at leAst 60 sec against wall before going to freestanding.

l-sit 60 sec before planche work I think I also saw 3x30

3x30 sec German hang, and I assume with a very extended stretch, before back lever, which also seems key to beginning planche work as well.

The same on l-sit before beginning front levers as well, 3x30 or 60 sec?

And we can figure on keeping that sort of scheme through all of coach's progressions.

Say 60 sec frog before adv and 60 sec adv before tuck planche, even if you can do several seconds of tuck planche, you still should go through the steps, right?

All of this kinda stuff would be awesome to see in a simple chart.

As I get more advanced in my training I guess down the line I'll take a more educated stab at it. I have spent alot of time reading and rereading to finally kinda grasp these points, but maybe i'm a bit behind the class.