This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100907

Started by Coach Sommer, September 7, 2010 · 29 Replies · 3,479 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete the following:

3 sets of: 3 MU, 3 leg lifts to XR L-sit, 3 press to shoulder stand, roll backward to BL, FL

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Add additional MU and XR Shoulder-stand Presses as necessary to make the series challenging for your current strength level.

2) Be sure to select the most challenging MU variation that you can perform virtuously.

3) Do not rest during the Ring strength series.

4) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

5) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

6) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of Front Lever (your choice of position) and then move immediately to the XR Support Hold and then move immediately to the German Hang.

7) Rest is allowed during the static hold positions only after a single giant set has been completed.

Freeflyer

I'm unsure of how to go about that leg lift to L-sit. Is it all while in a support position after the last muscle up? Is the leg lift all the way up then back down into an L-sit or just up to the L position.

Might have to change quite a bit in this one since it is looking pretty advanced for my level. Not so sure about those press to shoulder stands.

Joshua Naterman

The leg lifts would be starting in the XR support. If you can, turn the rings out, but that's not essential in the beginning... just get there as soon as you safely can. From there you'll lift your legs into the L sit and hold for 2-5 seconds I believe. I don't actually know quite how long we're supposed to hold the statics, but I think that's good for beginning. Remember, ring days are maximal. We're looking for the hardest variation you can hold well for a few seconds, not a 15 second hold! Totally different goals there.Anyhow, after that short hold you'll return to the support position and then pull back into the L sit. If you need a short(a few breaths) rest between the L sits take it in the support position, but don't be lazy!

I will caution that if you have any history with elbow issues OR if you haven't established some solid biceps tendon conditioning work for at least a few months then I'd be a bit cautious with the back lever. You won't see me holding full lay, even though I certainly CAN. My tendons aren't ready for that.

If Coach pops in and says something different, please listen to THAT! :lol:

gymgreg

JkEQeCcJ5xI

I need a higher ceiling. My pseudo shoulder stands aren't cutting it.

Kenneth Manning

Todays WOD

3 sets each:

3MU-->3 leg raise to XR Lsit-->3 "forward lean"-->BL(3 sec)-->1/2 lay FL(2-3 sec)

Statics: adv tuck FLx15-->pull to German hang x 15sec, drop off rings then XR support x 15

Wall extensions 10, (7+3)

*still need a lot of work on shoulder stand. I have a really hard time stopping myself from rolling forward once my hips are vertical. Probably just need more practice. Other than that workout felt great. Muscle ups are feeling much more solid when performing consecutive reps.

Alvaro

After the movilization and static warm up I did only 2 sets ( Im still recovering this week)

2x

3 false grip pull ups ( a bit higher and solid each time) 3 negative dips on XR trying part of the MU as negative( first time full weight negative in a wod, the transition almost a fall ),3 XR L sit ( a bit weak and fried from WU) jump to shoulder stand ( tuck) a bit more confortable on the support. BL and FL trying a bit flat tuck ( not ready yet but a bit more solid)

3x15 FL tuck

3x10 XR support again weak

3 x15 german hang more deep down and a bit more confortable but this is really hard!

2x10 shoulder extension

overall I feel great after this WOD much better than I expected after almos a month out! Yesterday I had my first adults gymnastics class, it was really fun I enjoyed playing around with flips and that ( just give me time lol!) :D

Patrick Angelo Sardilli

I slept 3 hours and this morning I was wired! :lol:

Warmup:

2 x 13m Inch Worms

15s Samson Stretch

10 Shoulder Dislocate

50 Skips

Fundamental Static Positions:

2 x 1 Straddle L (PB Low; 15, 15)

2 x 1 Planche (Adv. Frog; 15, 15)

2 x 1 Manna (MSH Bent; 15, 15)

2 x 1 L-Sit (Floor; 6, 7)

WOD:

Preform 3 sets of the following routine:

3 Strict Wide Muscle-Ups

3 Leg Lifts to L-Sit on Rings

3 Bulgarian Dips

Roll to Back Lever (Tuck), Roll to Front Lever (Tuck)

Rest 3mins

Preform 5 sets of the following:

15s Front Lever (Tuck)

15s Rings Support Hold (Rings Turned Out)

15s German Hang

Rest 3mins

Finished with 2 x 10 Wall Extensions, 2 x 10 side Rotator Cuffs, Stretch.

Forgot to film my routine :( Next time I can go for 4 of everything.

Good job guys keep it up!

Justin Kyle

Here's what I did for today:

WOD:

3 sets of: 3 MU (3,3,3), 3 leg lift to XR L-sit (3,3,3), 3 press to shoulder stand (Pike on first set but straddle up into it 2nd and 3rd set), BL (tried full on first but couldn't quite hold it, straddle the 2nd and 3rd set), FL (adv tuck on all sets)

5x15 support holds

5x15 FL holds (adv tuck 1st set, then gradually went to tuck as the 5th set drew nearer)

5x15 german hang

1x10 wall extensions

Notes: Wow! I have never truly done a ring series before this and it showed. The press to shoulder stands were the hardest thing by far but I think they'll get better with practice. Great workout

j4b

Did everything as prescribed. Instead of german hangs did flat back BL. Straddle FL and BL on the series. Thanks for the workout coach!

Josh Schmitter

Felt much more 'on' today than yesterday, but then again this isn't 27,000 pulling exercises in a row :).

3 sets of: 3 pulls, 3 chair dips(dips 2 and 3 slight assist with feet) 5s inverted, 5s down to tuck FL, 5s Inverted, 5s down to tuck BL

5x15 all of the statics.

Wall extensions felt great after this today.

Quick questions: Is it normal for the FL and German hang to be easier on the rings as opposed to a bar(if so why)? I tried to check through the rings sub-forum, but didn't find it. I have, however, just finished going through 'Getting Started' and almost through 'Nutrition' with about 500+ pages printed out of awesome info from all the mods and members...:) Just going through seeing the same questions over and over I feel for the mods...almost ALL of the answers are already out there. As slizzardman suggested: Grab your popcorn and pull up a chair :)

Patrick Angelo Sardilli
gymgreg said:
JkEQeCcJ5xI

I need a higher ceiling. My pseudo shoulder stands aren't cutting it.

I love the "thump" each time you do the pseudo shoulder stands 8)

Tarun Suri
SPARTAN-367 (PAT) said:

3 Strict Wide Muscle-Ups

Awesome!

I'm in between on doing this way subeddown or performing ring strength series 1.

Leandro

After greg posting his wod, I'm almost ashamed to post mine lol, but here goes

RCo-EDQprrU

video frezzes in the end. my webcam sucks

3 assisted muscle ups

3 L sit lifts

3 Press to shoulder stand

roll back

Tuck back lever, single leg front lever

5x15 static holds

2x10 wall extensions

Newguy

Done, Nice forearm workout :shock:

Joshua Naterman
TANSTAAFL said:
Felt much more 'on' today than yesterday, but then again this isn't 27,000 pulling exercises in a row :).

3 sets of: 3 pulls, 3 chair dips(dips 2 and 3 slight assist with feet) 5s inverted, 5s down to tuck FL, 5s Inverted, 5s down to tuck BL

5x15 all of the statics.

Wall extensions felt great after this today.

Quick questions: Is it normal for the FL and German hang to be easier on the rings as opposed to a bar(if so why)? I tried to check through the rings sub-forum, but didn't find it. I have, however, just finished going through 'Getting Started' and almost through 'Nutrition' with about 500+ pages printed out of awesome info from all the mods and members...:) Just going through seeing the same questions over and over I feel for the mods...almost ALL of the answers are already out there. As slizzardman suggested: Grab your popcorn and pull up a chair :)

German hangs are easier because you can adjust the position of your hands and make the elbow stretch less intense if hands straight back are just too hard, while the straight bar kind of locks you into position. That's something of an advantage when using a single bar to increase shoulder flexibility and mobility, but when you're first learning the German hang the single bar can be much harder to learn on.

I don't know what you're feeling with FL, I don't notice a difference! :P I suppose that the freedom of hand position may be part of it, but pretty much everything with your body below the rings is the same difficulty as straight bar. Positions in XR support and above the rings are much harder, with the exception of slow muscle ups.

Wheelson

I was hardly functioning when I started this workout, but ended up fairly strong

warm up 3x15 fsp's

3 rounds

3 false grip pulls into the beginning of the MU transition.

3 dips also into the MU transition

3 l sit leg lifts 3 1 3 tempo

5 second l-sit hold

3 press to shoulderstand (tuck)

5 second adv tuck BL

pull to 5 second adv tuck FL

6x15 second holds (inverted hang, ring support, german hang)

I can hyperextend my elbows, and on supports I usually just go to 180 degrees, but today I emphasized COMPLETELY LOCKED elbows on the supports and it made a difference -I can feel it working the bicep tendon

2x10 wall extensions and out.

Saber2

This was tough. I am disappointed with my ring performance. I had to come down before attempting the Shoulder stands to recover a little bit.

3 rounds

of 3 MU (False grip pull up, jump through transition, dip, negative through transition and repeat) 3 leg lifts to l sit position. Shoulder stand (more like bent arm tuck planches) roll back to tuck bl and roll forward to FL (one leg, one leg, Straddle adv tuck)

5x15s XR support roll into 15s Tuck FL roll back to 15s german hang.

I am not pleased with todays performance at all. There could be a few things that contribute to that. The last few days I have convinced my fiance to start doing pushups. I like to lead by example so when she does them so do I. However I have been doing one arm push-ups for the challenge. I am sure some of that might result in the fatigue I am feeling. Secondly, my warmups have consisted mostly of stretching rather than doing FSP. I think one of my biggest concerns is that if I do them prior to the workout I won't be able to do the workout to my fullest. On the other hand I need to do them because everything is starting to decline in performance. The FSP warm up will probably act as a sustainer. I feel so dumb because I am learning the hard way rather than listening to advice :oops:

Michael Miskelly

Did this today, thought I would video myself to check my form. My FL looks off but I think the t-shirt hanging makes it look worse than it is, makes me look as if I am curving my back or something which I don't think I do.

Wrist warm up & FSP's

Workout:

Everthing done as prescribed

Last set:

7zCOr4t6WvY

Tarun Suri

I feel destroyed. I did this earlier this morning. I did 3 rounds of this:

3 dips --> negative muscle up --> 3 pullups --> jump to support hold --> 3x[raise to Lsit --> some sorry excuse for a headstand] --> tried to do a negative muscle up --> back roll to german hang --> muscle to (hard!) flat tuck front lever.

Then did the finisher. 5 rounds. Then did 2x10 wall slides on ground. And shoulder stretches.

I realised that everytime I thought I was doing tuck front lever in the past, I was actually doing flat tuck :D

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA! Nice!

Brendan Coad

My WOD

cHTajuVKcg0

My attempt at a shoulder stand was super difficult. Definitely a starting point.

Joshua Naterman

Very well done on that shoulderstand attempt, that is a good starting point! You may want to work on your XR support hold, I see your shoulders start rising to your ears as you stay supported. You want to be able to keep them pressed down. Doing a 30s support hold or working up to one in your warm ups will help a lot!

Brendan Coad

thanks. Ill definitely work on the support hold. I think its half a strength issue half that my head hits the beam above me. Once I order my Xtreme rings I'll have straps long enough to allow me to go to a park. where I can have more room overhead.

Joshua Naterman

:lol:!!!!

I didn't even think about you headbutting that beam. You WILL lose THAT war! :P

Joshua Naterman

All right, I just did this WOD.

2 MU, 1 MU plus 1 stuck at the transition for a while then jumping MU, 1 MU for the three rounds, respectively. These are much harder on my homemade rings. I know, I know!!! You guys gave me rings! I left them at my mom's house and I really wanted to work out so I just used my crappy ones. You will see them on the video but I'm doing the embedded work tomorrow and I will be picking up my real XR!!!! So don't get mad at me, they will be up along with a huge thank you!

I did the shoulder stand presses from the L sit lifts for the first two rounds. That was interesting and probably would have went better if I had practiced shoulder stands before. My last set I did them as prescribed and ended up doing much better shoulder stands. That's more from getting familiar with the position than anything, as I STILL started from an L-sit.