I am seeking advice on how to get back in to gymnastics training. My goal is to do the WODs. I have not been able to train consistently and with out having to avoid certain types of exercises since December 2009.
My Case
Because of a major shoulder injury coupled with a injured sternum, I am currently at less than 100%.
The shoulder injury itself has by now healed somewhat. The underlying mechanisms that caused the injury is still present. A major part of my injuries has to do with a underlying muscular imbalances. At least that makes sense given other problems with my physique.
This week I had my first visit at a PT specializing in sports injuries. He seems to know what he is doing, and so I am confident that by working with him, it is indeed possible to get back in working condition.
I have been told a realistic time frame before I start seeing real progress is about 3-4 months, given the length of my problems and the underlying issues that does not seem unreasonable.
I have been given a green light to train, except exercises where I might "loose" control over the shoulders. I guess this means that I should stay away from most pushing work, where as pulling work probably is a better idea. Leg work is no problem. Where as some core work, might be problematic due to shoulder involvement.
The Questions:
- Which statics is a good idea in my case? For a FSP warm up.
- Which exercises should I be doing in particular and which to avoid?
- How to integrate my case with the WODs? Or should I disregard the WOD since I cannot to them all?
Anyway, what I am trying to achieve with this thread is to get advice that can ease the transition from injured / less than optimal state to a optimal state. Hit the ground running so to speak. I feel there is no reason to neglect areas which could have been worked during the physical therapy. 3-4 months + is a long time. Advice from anyone who has been injured long term and how they got back, would also be much appreciated.
I reckon it would help with morale to do some decent work outs, rather than just being in a chronic injured state. Like getting the feeling that I am already "back". I realize that I got injured because of I failed to show proper caution and patience. So I know that there are limitations, and that it is better and safer to take it slow. Still I want to get on the right track.