This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jakaros journey

Started by jakaro, August 31, 2010 · 70 Replies · 4,278 Views

jakaro

Neck and back did take a bit of a hit, but it'll be ok soon, gonna train after work.

I really think a more practical training plan may be in order as while i really enjoy this program I don't think it's very compatible with my body and goals. First and foremost my health which means dealing with long term realities like an old banged up body.

I am trying to find ways to incorporate a more balanced approach to fitness and add in some weight lifting so I can go to the gym and train with my wife, who's goals are much more bodybuildery.. I am also a bit interested in that and also very interested in not hurting all the time. I hate l-sit, it is something I can't really explain, but that lift causes a problem not only embarassing but limits my ability to push it hard and if I gotta keep the intensity low I will never improve on it. (with max effort l-sit, I don't need a womans touch if ya know what I mean..)

I want to design a program that'll allow me to add in heavy squats and deadlifts and be at the gym 2x a week w/her, adding in some pressing and oly lifts for variety and mass. I also have some things I am trying to do w/kids that will be taking a toll on my recovery and time, which I'm already very short on.

jakaro

11/7 at powerhouse gym (just signed up)

right rotator is really acting up

squats alt with pullups and chins:

squat 45x15, 95x5, 135x5, 185 3x5

pullups 3x10

1 arm neg chin x3

chins 2x10

box jumps alt w/ bent over row:

box jumps 3x10

bent row 45x10, 95x6 135 x6,6

deadlift 45x10 135x5 185x5 225x6

As one set as fast as I can:

burpee/mt climber/jump squat x20 each to finish the workout and kick my own ass.

I am very sore, my low back is toast, plan to do handstands and maybe ring work in the a.m. after work tonight if I'm still kickin.. That's alot in one day but don't want to miss hs practice, probably do gatherings and dynamic stretching as well.

jakaro

Well my avoidance of l-sit due to it's unique complications is a moot point, as I get better at the f.lever variation I'm using ive found the same problem arises. Now that my back are arms are strong enough to put a more significant load on the abs, the same problem as l-sit. So I guess no point avoiding it, I just need to get stronger somewhere.

Lately my workouts looking like this:

every day training, but alternate light, medium, light, hard, ligh, medium etc and the workout look basically like this:

light day: headstands, inv hang, plank, bridge, side plank, dragon stand 30 sec holds each except bridge=10 sec

I go a few rounds in no particular order and include the dynamic stretching routine before or after.

I will add in more as I find other important additions. This is a pleasant workout I could see doing everyday for the rest of my life. I also like to do "gatherings" daily 1-3 sets of 10.

Medium day:

here's the typical gb day.

Handstands 9x25

l-sit 4x15 tuck whether I want to or not

german hang 4x10 sec hold/pike f.lever 4x10 sec hold

pullups or ring row 3x alt with a pushup movement, banded pushups, clap pushups, elevated feet low hands, something "push"

keeping the volume balanced, keeping it fresh and varying so I don't get too bored- I need extra work on horizontal rowing so that usually makes if in there. 2 exercises each way, skip press is shoulders too sore

I like to do gatherings every day so I hit them at the end alternating with a core exercise like plank or a plank variation I do where you alternate stretching one hand out to the front, pretty tough but ibdpnt know what it's called. I also like weighted planks and will add those if someones around to sit on my back.

Need to do legs but haven't been very consistent

Hard day: go easy on the handstands, 3-5 sets of 15-30 sec not too particular

skin the cats 3x6-10 strength on these seems to vary a bunch from day to day

HePu/wide grip pullup 3x3-5 been getting 5,4,4 on hepu and 4,4,3 or so on pulls

weighted chins/pressing movement 3x

ring row/another pushup movement 3x

gatherings, sls

then on Saturday or Sunday depending on lifes intrusions I will hit the weightroom and do squats/deadlifts

drop whatever my reg daily would be and do pullups, chins, bent over rows at the gym

maybe try some overhead presses or something too If I have the time, energy, motivation, but the squats (5x5) will be the priority

I like this plan and figure it's what I'll be doing til spring.

jakaro

11/13

squats 135x10 185 5x5 wow still think that's plenty weight, I got a long ways to go

alternated w/3x10 pullups and 3x10 chins

bent row 95x10 135 2x8

alt w/jumping alternating lunge 0x20 30#x16 (total, not each leg)

deadlift 225x5 245x5

11/14 am: did the easy static holds/dynamic stretching

3 rounds: plank, headstand, inv hang, seated pike, side plank, horse, crane (like karate kid), another single leg pose I don't know name 30 sec each, and bridge 10 sec each

11/14 pm or is it 11/15 am??

handstand 9x25 in 8:30 tough- down to :35 sec rest between holds instead of :40. Goal is 30 on/30 off then start working some away from wall.

lsit 4x15 alt w/

German hang 4x10

ring row 3x10 alt w/

3 different pushup variations, ring, elevated feet parallettes, flat low hands narrow hands

statics: headstand 3x30, inv hang 3x30, plank x30 , bridge x10,15 and 2 round of plank where I alternated raising hand to front, side, back, 2nd set w/5# db's <-- these are killa!! Maybe I invented a new exercise? Planks w/weighted delt raise

11/15 or 11/16 I'll do dynamic stretching, 3 rounds of easy static holds, maybe some rope skipping if I can find my jumprope or just beat up my heavy bag a bit

back to a gb style workout 11/17 I work nights and don't always sleep so the dates are tough to keep in order

jakaro

11/17 hard day

3 sets of handstands alternated with 3 sets of l-sit trying to actually "L"

handstands I tried to alternate onto one hand a little bit

skin the cats x8,8,6

HePu x5,4,4

wide pull x5,4,4

banded decline pushups 3x12 these are great!

ring row 3x10

clapping pushup 3x10

chins 2x10 had to rest/pause alot of my reps, back/arms were shot

then went apeshit with burpees and heavy bag stuff -great lung searing finish. I can't seem to avoid that bag. Gonna get a jumprope since I lost mine.

11/18 dynamic leg stretching followed by some static leg stretching then:

2 rounds of:

frog stand, headstand, plank, side planks, bridge, candlestick, reverse pushup, dragon stand, boat, superman holds

I'm trying alot of new stuff, I'm trying to learn more about bodyweight training and weight training, might try and do some personal training, get my personal trainer cert and try and make a new career or at least a lucrative 2nd job and try and work towards a degree so I can find a new career.

jakaro

11/20

squats 135x5 185x5,5 195x5,5 185x10

incline barbell 135x10 185x5,5 alt w/

bent row 135 3x10

alternating flat db press 60x10,10 alt w/

renegade row 60x10,10

overhead alt db press 40x8,7 alt w/

pullups x8,7

deadlift 135x5 225x5 255x5

11/21

frog stand, headstand, plank, side plank,reverse pushup, bridge, dragon stand, boat, superman x3 rounds of 30 sec

dynamic stretching routine

jakaro

11/23

hs 9x25 in 8:30

l-sit (tuck) 4x15 alt w/

german hang 4x15

frog stand 4x15 alt w/

plank 4x30

band pushup 3x12 alt w/

pullups 12,10,9

sls 2x10 on bench

still weak on these, hoped the weighted squats would have helped but still a very long way to go.

Weight on head, stretching squats x15 nice and slow with exagerated stretch and pause at the bottom

boat alt w/bridge 3x15 each

Got new bands for band pushups, so glad I learned about these, it's extra tough at the top so I hold a long pause at the end of the set, really works the straight arm support.

jakaro

2 rounds of:

dynamic stretching,

plank, headstand, side planks, dragonstand, reverse pushup, bridge

static stretching til time ran out

really trying to work hip flexibilty

I will try real hard to train despite the holiday tomorrow

jakaro

Thanksgiving day workout, gobble gobble

handstand 9x25 in 8:30 gettin ready to up it a bit, will go :30 on :30 off real soon

lsit/german hang 4x15 each, on gh with palms down (hard, scary)

headstand pushup x5,4,4 alt w/

ring row 3x10

plank/delt raise 5#x15, 10# 2x10 each hand alt w/

kb figure 8's 40# 3x15 each way

nice finisher, great pump

glad I got to workout today, it's an addiction for me now.

jakaro

11/26

3 rounds of dynamic stretching routine

then hiit:

heavy bag strikes plus a total of 40 sprawl pushup burpees, 40 squat jumps, 160 mt climbers

did 2 rounds of something like this:

5 sprawl burpees, 5 kicks x4 alternating legs

20 mt climbers, 10 punches, alternating hands and strikes x4

10 squat jumps 20 rapid punches x2

that would be one round, I did 2, felt very challenging. Almost puked after round 1.

I finished with about 10 minutes just beating the bag at a pace I could maintain, hit him every way I could think of

the bag appeared to be the winner though.. Also some planks/bridges/glute-ham raise

I will try and always get at least one of these style workouts in a week thru winter since I'm not out playing and want to be every bit of ready for no-shirt weather, I didn't work this hard to get to 10% bf to let it go thru winter!

I really wish I had before pics. I've never looked like this.

jakaro

11/28 gym day

squat 135x10, 185x10, 205x5, 195x6, 185x10

incline press 135x10 185x6,6,5 alt w/

pullups 3x10

overhead press 45x10 65x10 95x10 105x7 alt w/

bent rows 135 3x10 bit sloppy today

trap bar deadlifts 135x10 225x5,5

walking lunges across gym and back 40x1 50x1

ouch my legs are sore as I type this

been trying to do 50 shoulder dislocates daily, this was day 2, heard it's like magic for stiff/sore shoulders

jakaro

11/30

hstand 9x25 in 8:30

lsit/g.hang 4x15 each

band pushup 12,12,10

ring row x12,12,10

heavy bag til near collapse

12/1

hstand 10x30 in 9:30 hard

lsit/g.hang 4x15

got 3 sets of g.hang w/palms down

been working at this and seeing steady improvement

ring dips x3,5,6

weighted chin 40# x4,5,4

weight on head super deep squats 50# 5x20

heavy bag and rope skipping, 3x plank/bridge

jakaro

12/2

social obligations.. Still got in a bit:

100 rope skips/20 deep squat jumps: 3 rounds

some sparring and pullups w/my 7 year old.

jakaro

12/3

hstand 10x30 in 9:30

lsit/g.hang 4x15 again got 3 sets of the hangs w/palms down

ring dip x6,6,6

weighted pullup 25# x5,5,4

I think tomorrow will be an easy day so I'll be strong sunday at the gym

very happy with the handstands, that was my end of year goal, once I'm comfotable with 10 sets of 30 in 9:30 I will start working on some freestanding handstands. It's still a pretty extreme effort and my form suffers a bit after 6 or 7 sets.

jakaro

12/4

daily dynamic stretches of course

hops using my parallettes, some short some long, 4 directions

gotta work my hops, did about 100 total

rope skipping:

45 sec "on" starting on the minute every minute for 10 rounds

hope that doesn't take too much from my squats, deads on 12/5..

jakaro

12/5

Squat 185x5 195x5,5,5 185x5

Incline 185 x8,8.7

Pullup 3x10

Db press 60x10 70x10 80x7

Ro 70x10 80x10 90x10

Oh press 65x10 105x5 115x5,5

Dead 225x5 265x5

started at 180, was 188.5 last week, 195 this week

about one month= 15# and no fat, wow I'm stoked

Tarun Suri

Congrats! What were the major changes in this month?

jakaro

I joined a gym about a month ago so I could do squats, deadlifts and go help my wife get fit. I have done squats/deadlifts once a week and have worked upper body as well the last 3 weeks, have been adding weight to all my lifts pretty steady. For example I did inclines last week with 185 and got 6,6,5 reps, today I got 8,8,7. My squat sucks but I've been stretching daily to get deeper, today went real deep and with those no-shoe shoes, five finger from vibram, and really making the squat my main priority. I went in today with very sore legs from jumping and rope skipping last night. I have been drinking alot of whey protien shakes, and also began eating meat, which I only ate fish before a couple weeks ago. I am actually kinda feeling the desire to be a bodybuilder, while still my main focus is funtional strength and climbing to level 2 on the eatmoveimprove website list of goals. The 2 seem to go very well together.

swarovski

noooo, too bad you're heading to BB, The more I get into gymnastic the less I appreciate that size and look. At least use weights wisely (athletically), this, as you probably already know is one of the best resource for weighted WOD.

http://performancemenu.com/

add it to your favourites...

jakaro
swarovski said:
noooo, too bad you're heading to BB, The more I get into gymnastic the less I appreciate that size and look. At least use weights wisely (athletically), this, as you probably already know is one of the best resource for weighted WOD.

http://performancemenu.com/

add it to your favourites...

oh yeah, definately just added that to my favorites, thanks man!

I'm getting into that stuff, but only as it stays compatible with functional strength and climbing the ladder on the eatmoveimprove fitness standards, which I am really planning on getting to level 2 by the end of '11, and seeing when I can hit level 3. The leg stuff is where I'm really lagging. The 100 meter, the vertical, and the pistol are where I am truelly pathetic, I just barely clear the 6' mark on the standing broad jump. I like the Rambo look, not the Arnold look. Actually already getting kinda big in the chest, arms. I want to have it all, size, speed, like Rambo doing parkour. Spartan, gladiator. No point looking impressive if I can't back it up, I wanna be able to jump over a car, climb, fight, front lever/back lever, walk on my hands, maybe someday a one hand handstand, iron cross, human flag, 1 arm chin.. (now I'm dreaming)

jakaro

12/7

hs 30sec x10 in 9:30

lsit/g.hang 4x15

ring dip x6,6,5

ring row x12,10,10

ring curl? X?

Fat pvc tube thru my rings curl 2x8

tricep xtension on rings x0 ouch my elbow!

12/8

sls on bench 3x10

24" stepup 2x10

50# weight on head super deep squat 3x20

1 x6' broad jump

jump rope 7:30 in 10:00

:45 on :15 off

legs still sore so now they will be even worse

12/9----> ? Taking a small break to see what my elbows do, left ones getting pretty rough