This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jakaros journey

Started by jakaro, August 31, 2010 · 70 Replies · 4,278 Views

jakaro

Handstand 10x30 sec on the minute every minute thru 9, then needed a extra 10 sec rest, so got 5 minutes handstand in just over 10 minutes. Crashed on #3 was away from wall for about 8 sec before I realized it, then promptly came crashing down, lost 5-10 sec there.

Lsit tuck 4x15

German hang 5x10 sec hold at bottom and come out at the end to neutral

alternated with squats 15 rep x0,25,40,50 and a set of lunges with 25, but I like the squats alot better so will stick with them.

2 sets of hanging leg raisex10 alt w/25# pike stretch- I like these!

Ok that's enough for today, tomorrow will do some push/pull.

jakaro

Handstand:

10x30 sec with 45 sec in between, finished 10 sets in about 12 minutes. That was a bit of an increase, but will stick it out til it's a little more comfortable and cut the rest time by 5 sec.

L-sit tuck 4x15

German hang 5x10 sec in bottom then come back to neutral, these are hard but I really enjoy em.

And that was it, no time for push/pull but I think I'll go a bit easier on the hs on those days anyway, maybe do half so I'll have more energy for the other stuff. Legs sore from yesterdays legwork, not used to working them enough.

jakaro

Hs 5x30sec, tuck L-sit 4x15sec, gh 3x10sec

HePu x3,2,2

wide grip pull x3,2,2

ring pushup 3x5

5# chin 3x5

swarovski

hey, ours work out logs seems the only human ones around here...

jakaro

Yesterday did daily stuff+

3x6 sls progression, deck squat 2x10

today:

half the hs= 5x30 sec

lsit 4x15

hepu x4,3,3

wide grip pull x4

pullup +10x5, +20x3

don't think I have ever added weight, I'm gonna dig out a climbing harness next time, I like these.

Ring pushup feet on about 18" rise this time 3x6

definately getting deep w/these

ring row on same block 3x6 I don't like these.

Tomorrow is a rest day.

jakaro

Only got 7x30 sec handstand, came down early on #8 and struggled from round 3 on, I think because I really am pressing into the ground and getting wore out quicker. I think maybe cut back and focus on quality a bit, go back to 20 sec holds til I improve. Also did some of Ido Portals gatherings for beginner, and a long headstand as part of my warmups.

L-sit 4x15 alt alt w/

German hang 4 sets of 3x5 sec holds

legwork:

sls on chair 3x8

deck squat 2x15

deck squat +jump 2x15 <-- I like these

pissed at not getting full handstand session, but I know I am stronger so I'll get over it.

knees feel better now that I'm training my legs.

jakaro

Last handstand work wasn't great and shoulders still sore so went ahead and mixed it up a bit:

ring support 5 sets of 7-10 sec, these were alot harder than they looked watching the vids on youtube..

Inverted hang 3x30 sec, mostly grip, a little core is all these are?

German hang 2x 2x10s= 40 sec total

not too brutal but hey time was short and I think my shoulders needed a easy day.

Should be ready to get serious tomorrow. I like the ring support.

Also went back (I'm editing) and did some ring pullups using different grips, wow the rings change things, with a false grip I feel the slow mo muscle up coming into reach..

jakaro

I'm thinking the addition of some pulling into the daily statics would be smart.

A hold at the top of a pullup on rings. Palms towards body and palms forward as well, both feel great and seem a nice antagonist to the normal statics. The inverted hang makes sense to include as well. Just seems the standard statics are a bit heavy towards pressing and lacking pulling. I have a bad shoulder, so balance issues are a concern. Also these top position holds on the rings would lead to a solid muscle-up I believe.

Example:

Handstand alternated with a full contraction hold at the top of a ring pullup.

This would be easy to use natural progressions like we are familiar with, keep us balanced, and be a huge boost to pulling power, I'm guessing it would help bring up my pullups. Also easy to change the difficulty as you progress. Inverted hang seem the natural antagonist to ring supports. Probably too much thinking going on here, but I am an artist not an analyst.

jakaro

Ok I have decided, again, on a plan I can stick with.

I train 5 days a week- sat, sun, mon, weds, thurs.

I will do the following as daily statics after a stretching routine/warmup

handstand against wall 9x20 sec (3 min)

l-sit 1 min 4x15

german hang 1 min 4x15

ring support 1 min 6x10

then alternate between push/pull and legs/core

so day 1 daily statics plus:

HePu alt w/ weighted, ring, or wide grip pullup 3x3-5

xr pushup alt w/ xr row or weighted chin 3x3-5

I like dips but have no pb and XR dips are too hard

day 2 daily plus:

sls, hanging leg raise, deck squats, v-ups

this makes it simple, 2 different workouts and just alternate them. I'll try and squeeze in bridgework, ag walks, neck and grip work as well as time and energy permits.

I've taken so much from Swarovskis journal I must give credit where credit is due, there is so much useful information in there I missed in my first pass and am digging into now. From the workout to the link on stretching, the link on fundamental strength goals, it's great, been the most helpful thing I've come across besides the gb book and this forum itself.

jakaro

Daily except only 4x10 XR support

and 4x10 sec German hangs, 10 sec is prob a pr, real tough coming out of hole

then:

headstand press against wall x4,3,3

weighted pullup 20# x3,3,3 the pause is alot tougher weighted!

xr pushup feet on a bucket 3x5

xr row (feet same) 3x8

v-ups x10, hanging leg raise (knees to elbow, sloppy) x10, 1x solid near max plank on forearms

swarovski

hey jason, thanks a lot for your nice words, I'm glad my posts are helping someone, if anything just ask.

as for PB i've built some very simple, cheap and FOLDABLE ones out of wood, if you're intersted I'll take the time to post some pictures and how to instructions.

I'm thinking to change warmup, I have a good book on pilates which I think will perfectly fit the position, I might try it out in the next few days.

Nice to see we're supporting one another.

jakaro

Foldable PB sounds cool, I like dips alot. Right now my right shoulder is coming apart again and I'm thinking it's maybe the ring supports, since that's the only change. Probably just drop ring support and german hang for a week and see. It hurt during my warmups today, and it's staying that way. It's normally always there (old injury- been like this since I was 19), but only noticible, not painful.

I did 9x20 hs

4x15 lsit tuck alt w/ 5x10 German hang

4x15 ring support alt w/ holding shoulder and saying ouch

later will do sls progression, jumping deck squats

On a good note my handstands felt real solid despite alot of pain getting into and out of position. Tomorrow should be push/pull and then a day of rest and back to dailys/legs/core, so if I skip tomorrow I will have a few days before the shoulder gets worked hard again. At least I can push hard on legs, core, and pullups, so if it doesn't improve I have options.

jakaro

Ok so for a while my focus is pulling, legs, and core. Instead of being a whiner, I'll try and make the most of it by bringing up my weaknesses, which will hopefully prevent more shoulder problems down the road as well, so I should be thankful that I'm able to train my weaknesses while my shoulder heals up. There's gonna be alot of pullups on this log for a while. Think I will alternate days of ring pullups and days of bar pullups, days of static holds, days of full range movements, days of both, try and mix it up and train as often as possible, possibly daily.

Pullups

(weight) x reps

0x5,10x5,25x5,40x2,25x3,3,3

sls on bench 3x8 right leg alot weaker

my form on these is horrible

wide grips (no weight, 48" grip) x3,3,2

weight on head squats 50x20,20

Chins (weight) x reps 40x3,3,3

ring row 3x8 these seem harder than they should, very hard at the top!

Inverted hang 2x30 sec I can feel these plenty after all those pulls, but don't know if I'm doing them right, will have to get on YouTube and check out some vids I guess.

swarovski

I might be wrong, but if ring support and german hang gave you shoulder pain it's probably because your shoulder muscle aren't strong enough for those. I advise you to implement lots of rotator cuff exercises and to substitute ring support with PB support (as soon as you build those ofcourse) and german hang with inverted pike hold or just skinning the cat. I think you need to include easier exercise in that range of movement that will prepare you for the back lever progression. hope it helps.

jakaro

That sounds like great advice and I will definately follow it when I get back into the training. I think the inverted pike hold would be ok now, inverted hang feels pretty good, so does pullups. At least I can still train. Thanks for taking the time, it really helps to find some positive, it's been an awful day and not being able to do my planned training didn't help.

jakaro

Saturday 10/16

rotator stuff, wrist warmup

handstand against wall 9x20 in 8:30 felt strong- no shoulder pain on these

inverted pike hang, at least I think it was.. 4x15 sec

inverted hang 3x30 sec

sls on bench 3x8

v-ups 3x10

think I'll hit pullups and rows tomorrow

jakaro

Sunday 10/17

15 sets for rotators

forgot to warmup wrists and paid for it..

hs 9x20 sec

g.hang 3x10 sec

inv hang 2x30

chins weight x reps

0x5, 25x3, 50x3, 25x5,5

wide grip pullup x2 very hard after chins

g.hang doesn't bother shoulder, I think it's mostly the ring supports, ring pushups, l-sit that irritated it.

swarovski

here how I built my PB.

PB XR HB

as far as I can see if you start working on PB support, you'll better prepare yourself for those exercise that are now hurting your shoulder.

hope you find it useful.

jakaro

10/18 Monday

wide grip (48") pullup x5,4,4

xr row x10,10,8

sls on bench 3x8

50# on head squat 2x20

false grip, underhand, elbows at 90 degree holds on pull bar

2x10 sec trying to strengthen biceps

my elbows have been sore for the last couple months despite my best efforts to ignore it away, thinking maybe weak in the biceps, plus some bigger arms would be cool, and I can't come close to doing the German hang with the recommended palms down grip, feels like my arms will just snap.

jakaro
swarovski said:
here how I built my PB.

PB XR HB

as far as I can see if you start working on PB support, you'll better prepare yourself for those exercise that are now hurting your shoulder.

hope you find it useful.

Extremely helpful. That's a brilliant pb setup, I want a set for sure.

jakaro

10/20 weds

hs 9x20

lsit 4x15

gh 4x10

hepu x5,4,4

wide grip x5,4,4

I think there was more but I don't remember now

10/21 thurs

hs 9x20

lsit 4x15 alt w/

german hang/pike front lever (?) feet up in air trying to hold torso parallel to floor- these are fun

sls on bench 3x8

jumping deck squat 3x10

jumping lunges 2x10

legs are growing daily- puffy, still weak as a puppy though

Been doing dynamic leg stretches daily, 1-3 sets each way x10-15

jakaro

10/23 sat

hs 9x20

lsit 4x15 w/

german hang/pike front lever 4x10 sec each

pullup 25# 3x3

10/24 sun

hs 9x20

german hang/pike front lever 3x6 reps just a pause for about a sec each end

pushup/ring row 3x10 each

plank 3x30 w/

weighted pike stretch 3x30

jakaro

Missed a couple workouts unfortunately- definately not my idea, I can't believe how good it felt to train again

Wednesday did the "gatherings" stuff, 3x10 alternated with planks 3x30 did a bunch of different stuff, had my kids and no one else to watch em so it was pretty "informal" but did alot of leg work. Jumping squats with 50# on my head- I'm 1" shorter now I think, still way to tall to be a gymnast.. Jumping lunges are fun. I practiced elbow levers, roll to headstand, played with a 40# kettlebell. Just mostly had fun and kept moving. Taught my boys some stuff, my 2 y/old has rug burns on his forehead from trying to do headstands, kids a beast- big boy though, gonna be 6'6" probably

Thursday:

hs 9x20 felt pretty easy, ready to trim some of that rest and increase my work time, but don't want to rush it, may go to 8x25 next time.

Lsit 4x15 alt w/

g.hang/pike fl 4x10 each

HePu x5,5,4

weighted pullup 25# x4,4 reg pullup x10 last 2 kinda ugly

gatherings 3x10 alt w/ plank (1 set weighted with a 7 y/o, and 2 sets w/7 y/o + big 2 y/o)

been trying to do the daily dynamic leg stretches and am very glad to have added them

jakaro

Though I try and train daily, doing at least the dynamic stretches and shoulder rehab/prehab I haven't really done very good at hitting my gb workouts. It's been a busy week, not a good excuse but I have kids, work, plus other projects in the works so..

Anyway here's today's go:

hs 9x25 in 9:10 will try and stay at this for a few weeks then decrease rest time again and try to get back to 8:30 but with 25 sec holds instead of 20, feeling strong here even though shoulder been hurtin extra the last few days

g.hAng/pike fl 3x10 sec each

no l-sit, excuse: rt shoulder

skin the cat x10,8,8

inv hang 3x30 alt w/ring row 3x10

bicep curls/tricep extension 50# plus the bar (?) 3x10

haven't lifted weights in a while, just mixing it up, no point using weights for arms though- mine have never looked better

my bodyfats right at 10-11% by the caliper I just bought, I can't imagine what 8 or 6% looks like..

jakaro

It's late and I'm tired informal workout of sorts, a bit of it:

hepu x4,4,4 alt w/

weighted chin 25x8 40x6,5

feet elevated pushup 3x15 alt w/

ring row 3x10

played with some plank ideas

if you set up in pushup position and raise one arm forward and alternate like that it seems to hit the muscles in a similar way to front lever work, also front lever and back lever stuff really hard at the end of workout, couldn't get into German hang at all with palms down and was pretty shot when I tried palms up as well

this workout was pretty bad- no excuse, just not feeling it today, always trying to squeeze in workouts and it makes it extra hard without sleep. Feels like I need a shot of motivation. Fell on ice and think I will wake up with a very stiff neck.