Hi i've been trying to work out with gymnastics bodies for some time now. My biggest obstacles so far have been consistency. I've never stuck long enough with one thing to consolidate the progress and when I do i've left gaps elsewhere. About 2 months ago i started trying to follow the WODs, except my biggest problems were 1) scaling and 2) getting them all in. I found myself only really being able to complete 2 a week because I was too tired or what not.
In an effort to balance out my training I have come up with several things. First I have written out a formal 'warm up'. and i say warm up because really it includes all the things that will be common on every training day such as prehab, mobility and statics. This will ensure I will get some consistent work done on there and build a solid base of training. I am going to try and do just this portion for about a month till I am hitting it on M/T/Th/F without trouble. Then I am going to slowly phase in the WODs probably just by adding a few extra sets in, till in a few months I will be doing all WODs plus the stuff i'm already doing.
Most of my joints are pretty good and my flexibility is excellent. I have ongoing issues with my knees, where my vastus medialis is really under developed. In fact pretty much the whole lateral side is much more developed than the medial side. This has been annoying and it really constrains the intensity with which i can hit legs. As such doing plyo and heavy strength exercises tends to exacerbate the problem, so I pretty much have to stick with mostly slow and light work otherwise the imbalance takes over. My hamstring development is actually really good and the main issue is getting my quads firing properly, so this is something I have to try and focus on. Which is why i probably won't be doing any of the dynamic leg workouts for some time
My other major problem is that I just don't have a strong build. I am 1.88m and 76kg. I used to be the same height and only about 67kg so thats quite some improvement but I still bear a strong resemblance to a stick. Not an excuse but i definitely feel it puts me at a bit of a disadvantage. I have found that I need to use my legs to assist me on pull ups and dips. I can do a fair few without, but I would get too wrecked doing them unassisted in sets. As you can see my WODs are very scaled down from what coach posts. but I have no problem with this. These are the training loads that I personally need to use.
------------warm up------------
arm swings, leg swings
dynamic stretching
air squats
10 deck squats, 5kg
60s wall sit
30s iso GHR
2 x 30s bottom pistol hold
shoulder stabilisation and mobility (courtesy of mr ido portal)
wrist pushups
active arch, hollow, pike and straddle work
10 overhead press, 20kg (just the bar)
60s wall handstand
10 wall slides
2 x 30s frogstand
2 x 30s tuck L
2 x 30s bridge
2 x 30s german hang
------------pressing------------
complete 4 rounds:
20' front support walk
10 dip shrugs
5 push ups fingers forwards
5 push ups fingers backwards
rest 2-3 minutes between rounds
finish with 2x10 wrist push ups
------------pulling------------
complete 4 rounds:
30s horizontal bar swing
5 assisted pull ups
5 over grip rows
5 under grip rows
rest 2-3 minutes between rounds
finish with 2x10 wall extensions
------------handstands------------
3x10 overhead press, 20kg (just the bar)
10 x 30s wall handstand. 30s rest interval
finish with 2x10 wrist push ups
------------ring strength series------------
3 x 5 tuck 360 pulls
rest 3 minutes between sets
3x30s ring support
3x30s german hang
1 x 10 inverted shrug
finish with 10 wall walks
------------embedded static strength------------
complete 3 rounds
5 push ups : 15s tuck back lever
5 assisted pull ups: 15s tuck front lever
5 assisted dips : 15s ring support
rest 1-2 minutes between rounds
finish with 10 wall walks
------------leg strength------------
3 x 5 front squats
3 x 5 1/2 GHR
3 x 5 prone reverse leg lift
3 x 3 hanging leg lift
------------dynamic leg strength------------
complete 4 rounds (really need to be taking these ones quite easy when i get to doing them):
60s shuttle run
10 senders
5 jumping squats
rest 2-3 minutes between rounds