This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jaeger's Log

Started by Stephen Jaeger, August 26, 2010 · 25 Replies · 2,145 Views

Stephen Jaeger

8/26/10

Warmed up with all static holds

L-Sit - PB Low - 7 sec

Straddle L - PB Low - 7 sec

BL - Tuck - 7 sec

FL - Tuck - 7 sec

Planche - Frog Stand - 7 sec

All for 3 rounds

Then Today's Wod

60 sec Shuttle Run

40' Senders

20 Squat Jumps

5 Jumps

4 Rounds

The Senders were scaled down - jumped over 6 items of various heights - all less than 30"

Squat Jumps were tough - I didn't get very far off the ground. I did them without anything overhead. I think next time, I'll have something overhead to reach for like a pullup bar or something like that.

Stephen Jaeger

8/27/10

WU:

L-Sit PB 7sec

Straddle-L PB Bent 7 sec

Manna PB Bent 7 sec

BL tuck 7 sec

FL tuck 7 sec

Planche Frogstand 7 sec

All for three rounds

3 sets of Basic Ring Strength 2

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x15 seconds German Hang

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

2x10 Wall Extensions.

On the Basic Ring Strength:

FG Pullup then a help with the feet to a deep Dip - so, getting a bit closer to the transition. I can do a kipping MU, but want to get out of doing that.

The forward roll was really challenging - I studied the video a few times and realized the move is quite technical. The movement of the hand position throughout the move looks like it will take some time to understand. Although I can bring my body into a tuck below the rings, bringing my body up over my hands wasn't something I was ready for. I'll be looking around the site for some pointers or progressions on the forward roll.

Overall I was happy with my ring strength movement - the levers were in a tuck position, but I can already notice improved strength.

I was very happy with my static holds, especially the German Hang. I have tried it a few times over the past two weeks and just could not get the stretch at the bottom. This time I managed it and held all positions as RX'd.

I'll put in a few rounds of pulls and handstands tonight.

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up all 6 FSP - 7 secs each x 3 rounds

Complete 3 sets each:

1 BL tuck [15 sec] + 5 Tempo XR Bulgarian Row

1 XR L-sit low [15 sec] + 5 Tempo XR PP Bulgarian

1 FL tuck [15 sec] + 5 Tempo Body Levers

Finish the workout with 10 GHDs

This was a great WOD - I feel like my core got a great workout and a great stretch. I did a good job of holding all the positions at 15 secs. The last FL gave me some trouble, though.

The way I approached this WOD was three rounds of the first component, then three of the second and so forth. I wonder if we were meant to cycle all the way through three times...I'll have to see what everyone else did.

Stephen Jaeger

Warm up:

All 6 FSP for 6 rounds x 10 secs each

That took about 17 minutes and felt really good. I'm going to try to stick with the above routine for a month before increasing time and/or movement progressions. - Steady State Training.

Then complete three rounds:

5 Russian Dips [sub'd XR Dips]

10 PB Dips

15 Swinging Dips [sub'd Dips - negative]

20’ L-sit Walk - couldn't do much with this as my core was pretty well shot from the FSP.

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups - I did these from my knees in a partial pike. 2nd attempt at them and vast improvement from my first go...

Stephen Jaeger

All FSP for 10 secs and 6 rounds.

5x5 GHR - Very challenging. I had to use my hands quite a bit, but I know it will improve over time.

5x30m Hill Sprint

I'll get into some Handstand training tonight followed by muscle ups.

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up all FSP 6 x 10 sec.

That is definitely a nice warmup, but I'm wondering how to incorporate all the strength stuff, too. Ie Push, Pull and combo...

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of XR Strap HS [sub's wall HS]

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

Done! My traps are wiped out!

Stephen Jaeger

Warm up:

All 6 FSP for 6 rounds x 10 secs each

Strength:

Pushups - XR 5x5 - easy

Dips - XR 4x5,4

HeSPU Box - 5x5 - easy, get legs higher next time.

FL Row - tuck 5x5 - just right

Pullups - 4x5,4

Muscle Up - XR neg 1x5 - too tired to keep going

I found that I was pretty well bushed after doing all this. Took about 45 minutes. I wanted to find some way of incorporating strength into the WOD but might have to find some other way. I'm definitely tired and although I might be able to do the WOD, I'm not at my strongest. Maybe tomorrow I'll flip the Strength with the WOD and see if I have enough left that way. If not, maybe I just focus on strength in the evenings say 2-3 times a week.

At all costs, I want to get that non-kipping MU on the XR!!

Stephen Jaeger

3 sets of:

3 MU - starting to get these now but by third set had to jump through transition

3 leg lifts to XR L-sit [2-1-2 tempo, maybe...these were tough to hold]

3 press to shoulder stand - still finding this difficult to get my hips over my hands.

roll backward to BL - could not figure this out either. I had to drop off the rings to get into position.

FL [tuck] - this I could roll to from BL...

5x15 seconds FL

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

5x15 seconds German Hang

So...I did this last night as opposed to the AM since Monday was so brutal. I was still feeling a bit sore, but wanted to push through a bit knowing that it might be good for me. I did nail my first non kipping MU - really pleased about that. I did roll my knees a little bit, but the 'swinging' kip was not used. I know one thing for sure...gymgreg makes it look easy. I could not get my hips on top of my hands and it felt like it was due to weakness in my core. I could dip down a bit and get my shoulders and hands even, but was not getting my hips up high enough...oh, well - patience and practice.

The other issue was the roll backward to BL. I'll have to study gymgreg's video a bit more. I could not understand how to transition between my 'tuck shoulder stand' and the BL...ugh.

I also found that my endurance level for staying up on the rings was lacking. All good though - room for improvement.

I tried to video myself but the lighting in the basement was behind me and it turned out too dark to be visible. I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up FSE all 6 x 10 sec

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Seated MU [sub'd jumping MU]

1 Embedded BL tuck + 5 Tempo HeS RLL [sub'd candlestick]

1 Embedded FL tuck + 5 Tempo HLL [sub'd candlestick]

I skipped the Bridge Wall Walks - I know this is a no-no but I was completely bushed and didn't want to try that precarious move without some decent strength left to pull out...

Warmup and WOD took me about 40 mins total. Holding onto the XR through the rounds really taxed my shoulders/traps/biceps....which is all good! I had thought earlier about incorporating some strength work after the WOD, but I saw no need to based on what was done. I may opt for Wednesday/Saturday Strength and Handstand work. If I can keep those two sessions to 20 minutes each then I think I'll have enough recovery time for the 4 x week WODs.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up with all FSE 6 x 10 sec

Worked on Strength

3 x 5 Pullups

I hope to get some time tonight to do the WOD.

If I don't get it tonight, I will definitely get it Saturday.

I think stall bars would be a good add to the gym. I've got a bunch of stuff. Maybe I'll post a pic. I modeled it after a Crossfit Gym, but now am wondering if I should change some stuff around. I have a bunch of Bumper Plates, a Concept 2 Rower, Dumbells, AbMat, etc....

Stephen Jaeger

By the way, I nailed my first Floor L-Sit...I held it this morning for about 3 seconds. Just a few weeks ago I had trouble getting my feet off the ground...so I'm really happy that the strength seems to be improving. I also had a fairly good MU on the rings the other day. I tried the seated MU this morning, but the strength wasn't there. I definitely can see how a "muscle" up is much harder than a 'kipping' MU. Gotta work on it!

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up all Statics 6 x 10 secs. - 2 weeks in. I'll wait six more before 'testing'. - I'm really looking forward to see progress.

5x30m Sled Sprint [sub'd hill run]

5x5 Half GHR

2x10 Weighted Killers [used a pair of 20lb dumbells]

Finish with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

I worked the Straddle L with the FSP warmup do I did not repeat.

The Half GHRs were killer, but good - really felt that they taxed my hamstrings to the max. Good stuff.

I can't wait to see tomorrow's WOD.

Just in case anyone is curious...I am formerly a Crossfitter. Worked out at a Crossfit Gym for a year and had followed the main site for about a year prior to that. So, all in all, two years experience. I really enjoy Crossfitting, but want to try this for a bit to see how it translates into OLY Lifts and DL. It is definitely hard deciding which path to pursue....Where will I get more maximal strength? and does maximal strength translate at all into muscular endurance? Where are the ends of the spectrum...elite marathoner ..... powerlifter. If this scale is from 1 [marathoner] to 10 [powerlifter]...I think I want to be an 8.

Stephen Jaeger

All Statics 6 x 10 Sec

1x10 Cast Wall Walks 4,1,1,1,1,1,1

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs - sub'd 10 minutes of HS against wall with continuously running clock. Definitely tough.

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups - much better than my first attempt a few weeks ago.

Stephen Jaeger

All Statics 6 x 10sec

20’ Ag Walks

5 XR Dips

10 PB Dips

15 PB Dips-negative

I need to build a set of Parallel Bars - hopefully getting to that in the next month...

My shoulders are beginning to ache during the day. It's the point between my collarbone and where my trap intersects my shoudler....definitely is sore. I'm hoping that I'm not overtraining! I think the 10 minutes of Handstands did it to me...These workouts are great and I'm having a lot of fun. I'm playing around with my progressions on the statics and I'm going to back off. It's fun to see if I can hold the next progression, but maybe this is overstressing the body...I'll stick to Steady State.

I completely forgot to do the Wrist Pushups....rats.

I bet tomorrow is a Ring WOD - I definitely don't want to miss that...but maybe I'll rest tomorrow and do it Saturday. I've ordered some creatine to help with recovery...I really hope it won't hurt me, but from everything I've seen so far, it's all natural.

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up with statics 6x10 secs. They are all progressing nicely. But I will wait until the end of October before testing.

My shoulders were stiff over the past three days, I think, because of the 10 min Handstand Wall Runs. They definitely felt better once I warmed up.

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL tuck + 5 TOPS pulls

1 Embedded XR L-sit - low + 5 XR Dips

1 Embedded FL tuck + 5 Negative Front Pulls [these were seriously lacking, esp in the third set.]

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks - I did these bending backwards over a bench to assit in back support.

I built a set of stall bars yesterday and have to get some pics posted.

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up all FSP 6 x 10 sec

60 sec Row

5 Strict Pull-ups

10 Toes to Bar - FL Pulls were NOT happening...I'm going to work on these.

10 Jumping Towel Pullups

3 Rounds

One thing this WOD proved - I have a long way to go on pulling. I was gasping for air after the Row as I went as fast/far as possible in 60 secs. Since this left me really winded, pulling exercises were difficult so I sub'd a lot...

I did the TOPs pulls on the rings the other day...the FL pulls on the bar were really tough...maybe I'll give them a go tomorrow after my Warmup just to see if the Row contributed to my failure in them.

The shoulders are feeling much, much better. I did start a two week trial of Creatine this morning. So, I'm hopeful that it will make a difference.

Stephen Jaeger

Warmed up with Statics 6 x 10 sec. I need to take a video to see if my FL and BL tuck is getting flatter....too tough to tell while I am doing it.

All of them feel pretty stable at 10 secs, but I want to maintain before moving on to ensure I have a solid foundation and also to keep injuries at bay. The L Sit - PB low is not really low any more...I'm basically legs straight out in front. My hips are still behind my wrists though, so more work to do.

I ended up subbing out a strength day for the normal WOD.

5 x 1 min Handstands with 1 minute rest between....60,60,60,40,50 - It was getting tough at the end, but the added rest helped me pull out the 50 secs on the last round.

3 x 5 Pullups - slow, slow, slow and controlled - want to get strength up

3 x 5 PB dips - same as above

3 x 5 XR Pushups - same

My shoulders feel about 90% so I wanted to get some time on my hands...the 5x1min HS seem like a great exercise for me at the moment. I hope to stick to that for a few months.

Stephen Jaeger

FSP Warmup 6 x 10 sec

1x10 Cast Wall Walks [5,2,2,1]

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders - skipped

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

So, I finally figured out what the Box Press HS were all about. I've seen them in the WODs two or three times and I thought it meant a Box HSPU...anyway, I figured out my mistake and did them correctly this time. They were challenging, but fun.

I saw an improvement in the cast wall walks - 5 in a row this time. I kept the rest time down to minimum - maybe 15 seconds, then did 2,2, and finally one.

After the wrist pushups I went out for a 4 mile run.

Stephen Jaeger

All FSP 6 x 10 sec

Complete 3 sets each:

1 Embedded BL [inv hang to BL tuck] + 5 Tempo L Sit XR Pullups

1 Embedded XR L-sit [tough to hold with palms out - 10 sec max]+ 5 Tempo PB Bulgarian Dips

1 Embedded FL [inv hang to FL tuck] + 6 Tempo Side Lever Pulls [jumped to horizontal then slow back down]

The Side Lever Pulls were really challenging. I'm not sure how much the effort I put forth will pay off. Jumping to a horizontal position then slow release but I did not have much control of the descent....

Finish the workout with 10 Bridge Wall Walks [did these over the kids toy chest to aid in getting into position]

Stephen Jaeger

FSPs all x 10 secs

Complete three rounds:

10sec L-sit Hold

3 Stall Bar HSPU

5 XR Dips to L-sit

15 Pushups

I held my Floor L-Sit for over 10 seconds!! Amazing that I could not hold for one second about 6 weeks ago. I had not tried them in a few weeks, but last performance was about a three second hold. So, major improvement for me here.

Stephen Jaeger

Decided to test all of my FSP this morning for a warmup.

PB L-Sit : stopped at 30 secs - maybe could have been 40 secs...

Straddle L -PB Bent - 30 secs

MSH - Horizontal PB Bent - 30 secs

BL Tuck bent - 30 secs

FL Tuck bent - 28 secs

Frog Stand - 30 secs

So I ended up holding them all for 30 secs [on a timer]. Looks like I'm ready to move up to the next progression for each.

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks -5,3,2

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

12 cycles of Wall Handstand

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

This WOD felt great. I definitely was not ready for the XR HS. The wall Handstands were sufficiently challenging, esp after round 6.

Stephen Jaeger

Tried next progression of each FSP. So now I know what I need to know to begin the next FRP training. I was happy with my leg position in the straddle L and Manna MSH. I was worried that straitening the legs would be too difficult, but it wasn't too bad.

3 sets of Basic Ring Strength 1 - still not getting the MU very well. I did get one in round two. Obviously I need more pulling work. I'll get that incorporated into my warmups.

5x15 seconds FL tuck - need to video to see how flat...

5x15 seconds XR L-sit - wow these are tough. I moved to PB L-Sit after round 2

5x15 seconds BL tuck

1x5 Strict Pullups

Stephen Jaeger

Wow - glad to be back...had not been feeling well the past few days. I think it was a result of the flu shot.

Anyway, back at it!!

3x5 Pull Ups

FSP all 6x10sec

Complete 3 sets of each:

1 Embedded BL + 3 Tempo Assisted OAC per arm

1 Embedded XR L-sit + 5 Tempo Elevated HeSPU

1 Embedded FL + 6 Tempo Windshield Wipers

Stephen Jaeger

3 x 5 Pullups = = changing this to 5x5 tomorrow

All FSP 6 x 10 Sec

Perform the following:

3x60sec Rope Skips

3x5 Weighted Jumping Deck Squats - 15lbs, 20lbs, 30lbs**

2x5 Single Leg Arch-ups (each leg)

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

**I know I was supposed to stay with the same weight, but 1st time doing these and 15 and 20lbs were too easy...Now I know for next time where to start.

Stephen Jaeger

4x5 Pullups

FSP#1 Warmup

1x10 Cast Wall Walks 7!!,3 [up from 5 1st round last time]

1x5 Pike Box Press H[e]S

1x10 Straddle Box Press H[e]S

10 minutes of HS Wall Runs

Wall Runs were HS to wall held 30 secs on, 30 secs off

I did try Wall Runs the other day and was able to do them a little bit.

I'll have to try to incorporate as as warm up - maybe one set of 10 touches...

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups on knees

WPU should be able to try them on my feet next time - they are getting easier.

I love this WOD. Felt good.