Done,
This was the longest WOD I have done yet!!! But as always. Dripping Sweat.
The Newguy who just got a good form 5-6 second BL yesterday. Thats a first for me. (for some reason it felt pretty comfortable too!)
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Coach Sommer, August 24, 2010 · 44 Replies · 4,634 Views
Done,
This was the longest WOD I have done yet!!! But as always. Dripping Sweat.
The Newguy who just got a good form 5-6 second BL yesterday. Thats a first for me. (for some reason it felt pretty comfortable too!)
This WOD took me 45 minutes or so. It was very, very hard. I performed MUCH better than the last time! Very exciting! I think I'll be able to help a bit with those of you having HeS press issues. I went all the way to the floor since the box is just not challenging for me. The video will be up in the next few hours, I need to eat and then get over to my Mom's house.
Update: I forgot my camera. The video will be up tomorrow.
Oy. Vey.
This one was probably the toughest WOD I've done yet. -it didn't help that I started it a quarter after midnight...
well I started of with the 10 Cast wall walks
I started strong 3,2,1,1,1,1,1... then started failing haha
then moved onto the HeS Pike presses. I did these without a box and as little kick up as possible
2,1,1,1
then the straddle HeS presses 2,1,1,3,1,2 little or no kick off needed
afterwards I tried testing some straddle presses with a slow pike descent did about three of these
(I only counted those that were done with a controlled descent)
finally I started the ladders... these quickly ate my wrists and made me quite fatigued
5 rounds of
2 box presses-->6 Handstand wall leans (can't do wall runs yet, so I leaned fairly heavily to each side)-->two heSPU Negatives -->6 handstand wall leans--> rest -->2 HeSPU Negatives-->6 HS wall leans-->2box presses-->6 HS wall leans
all that for ONE ROUND hah
-on a good day I can do 2 or 3 HeSPU's, but today I was done and last night I did about 4 minutes of wall handstands, so my shoulders weren't fresh at the beginning of the workout anyway
-finished with 2x10 wrist pushups and coach's wrist conditioning routine
-this was definitely the roughest handstand workout I've done in volume by far
EDIT: By the way I had a shipment of chalk come today and during the day I achieved my first two muscle ups!!!... lots of kipping, but muscle ups none the less false sense of achievement? check ![]()
Wheelson said:EDIT: By the way I had a shipment of chalk come today and during the day I achieved my first two muscle ups!!!... lots of kipping, but muscle ups none the less false sense of achievement? check
Kip or no its still a big step forward. Congratulations!
Wheelson said:By the way I had a shipment of chalk come today and during the day I achieved my first two muscle ups!!!... lots of kipping, but muscle ups none the less false sense of achievement? check
Well, I find that a kipping muscle up is much more like a front uprise, while in a ring swing. I can easly do these in the gym where I train. It's easier because you simply pass the transition part with the momentum. The slow controled muscle up is completely diferent, since you need real strength exactly in the transition part.
But congrats anyway!
Good to know ppl also think this wod was hard. What made me more fried were these wall runs in between every HSPU progression.
What are pike, box press, and walking handstand ladders? I checked the book and on YouTube and couldn't find examples of any of these. The links in the post itself just went to a general discussion about handstand development.
I've been having a pretty difficult time finding a lot of the exercises described. The YouTube account has about 20 or so videos, but to a beginner these posts are pretty confusing.
Edit: got the ladders. Now I just need to understand the exercises in them.
Did this one today. Warmed up with some statics and whatnots then...
Did a couple of cast wall walks, realizing I should keep it at a couple if I'm going to finish this WOD(thinking back I probably should have just done halves)
5 Pike HeS Pike Press
10 Straddle HeS Press
Then the big shabang...
Did 3 pike push ups, 6 Wall runs, and 3 pull ups x 10 with the full 5min rest in between most. Us weaklings pay with tons of sets and a longer workout
...but I always feel good after. Up to about set 5 always seems to be an uphill battle. After that I still struggle, but it feels more doable...like I'm in it now, there's no reason not to finish all 10.
Closed out with the wrist push ups...these were rough not so much on the wrist, but in the general pushing sense as I was smoked.
Steve Sisk said:What are pike, box press, and walking handstand ladders? I checked the book and on YouTube and couldn't find examples of any of these. The links in the post itself just went to a general discussion about handstand development.I've been having a pretty difficult time finding a lot of the exercises described. The YouTube account has about 20 or so videos, but to a beginner these posts are pretty confusing.
Edit: got the ladders. Now I just need to understand the exercises in them.
The individual exercises in the HSPU ladder are described in Building the Gymnastic Body under the upper body pressing chapter.
The box exercises are tough, you are supposed to start in a handstand, but part of the way down the press. An example of being halfway down would be if your feet were resting on a table somewhat like an inverted L, while your upper body was in the handstand position. This would be the halfway point of the handstand press. From here, you would press up to a straight body handstand by straightening your body. It is very, very tough at first. If you're like most of us here, you'll be starting in a headstand with your feet on the ground and pressing up to a straight body with the prescribed leg position. You'll see my version posted here tomorrow morning most likely. That should help clear up the HS presses a bit.
slizzardman said:Havoc, I think you may be best off trying just two steps instead of 6 at first, as long as you can do them without collapsing. You may not even want to touch your shoulders just yet, it may be enough to just lift your hand a few inches off the floor, you'll have to decide how far back you need to scale this!I will have a video up this evening, my batteries are charging finally! Yay!
Sorry if this feels like pestering Slizz, but I'm sure I'm not the only one dying to see that video. The box press is simply beyond me, and I would like a visual explanation, especially from someone who hasn't mastered it so it's a bit more comparable to what I would struggle with. Again, I'm sure a lot of us folk would really appreciate it.
Here is my WOD.
zLKYOKPn300
Did my dymanic joint mobility followed by Ido's Scap and shoulder routines and the wrist routine like always. Then did my statics and my pre-balance warmup. The cast wall walks came after the elevated HeS RLL by mistake. First section is just a bit of my handstand work I do every day, Some kickups, tuckups, and HeSLL, I just did one of each set today as the strength work was obviously handstand focused.
My ladders were only two rungs. I video'ed the first ladder and just cut about 5 seconds of in between sequences out because being inverted I had to make some adjustments after coming down and decided to edit that 8) . I actually only got up the second ladder out of 5 and the inside of my left wrist was feeling fatigued/like something could happen so I stopped there. Just finished up with the wrist pushups and then mobility work afterwards.
Nice work Brendan! One thing though - I think you should focus a bit on your arm alignment during the HeSPU negatives. Your elbows seem to point outwards during the descent and I believe the desired form is to have them point backwards (i.e. have your arms parallel to each other and at shoulder width as much as possible during the whole descent). I may have this wrong of course, in which case one of the Forum Elders will correct me, I'm sure ![]()
Thanks, I've played with the elbow alignment a small amount. Its still angled outwards although not completely. I wasn't sure if the elbows were supposed to be straight back but I'll look into it. Thanks for pointing that out. The other thing I need to work on with the HeSPU negatives is keeping a tight straight body and trying to mimic a freestanding negative as much as possible.
ICua0EzRZKM
7RA8O20An6g
Nice videos slizzardman!
I noticed that in the HSPU ladders, in the 3rd variation of HeSPU, you did the movement down and up, isn't it suposed to be just up, because in the book says only a controled ascent is required?
I don't know if I did these wrong, but I did the 2nd variation kicking to HS and just going down slowly, and the 3rd kicking to HeS and just going up slowly. The 4th one I did up and down.
I might be making it harder for myself, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure I need to control my descent on concrete lol!
Nice videos Slizzard. *edit* never mind, I continued watching your video and it seems you caught yourself.
Yea, 3-5 minutes is my understanding. It is absolutely brutal. I totally screwed up and didn't rest in the middle of my first ladder! I went and checked the computer between ladders and found out my mistake lol!
heheheeh, sure, don't headbutt the concrete! But you can kick to a headstand, push slow to handstand, stand again, kick to headstand, repeat...
I probalby wouldn't have reached 5th variation if the 3rd was harder. Because I needed to stand on my feet and kick back to headstand to execute the 2 repetition, these ended up being easy. Not very easy because you already come tired from the ladder and all those wall runs.
Slizz, thanks for the video. I'm sure it will make a huge difference next time it comes around.