This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100824

Started by Coach Sommer, August 24, 2010 · 44 Replies · 4,634 Views

Coach Sommer

K7DaRCQh0lY

Perform:

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

Walking HSPU Ladders

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) If Cast Wall Walks are insufficiently challenging, you may perform PL Wall Walks instead. The key difference between these two variations is that the hands will remain behind the shoulders at all times during the descent and ascent of the PL Walks, whereas in the Cast Wall Walks the hands are directly under the shoulders.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes then start the Walking HSPU Ladders.

8 ) Begin with Box HeSPU; perform 2 reps then immediately do 6 steps of HS Wall Runs. Take a few breaths and then move on to Negative HeSPU performing 2 reps followed by 6 steps of HS Wall Runs, continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

10) Adjust the reps in the Walking HSPU Ladder as necessary. If performing two reps at a time is too difficult, drop to one repetition of each variation. If performing two is too easy, increase to three, four or even five reps per variation.

Mathias Flækøy
9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds.

Could someone explain in detail? I dont understand.

Alexander Moreen

This means that if you get to box HeSPUs and no further, then you do 10 sets of that. While if you do Box HeSPU, Negative HeSPU, Full HeSPU, Elevated(say 4") HeSPU, thats 4 'rungs' of your HSPU ladder, so thats 2 or 3 sets. You divide the 10 sets (maximum) by the number of 'rungs'(variations of HSPUs) to get your actual number of sets.

Jamie

Are the handstand presses meant to performed with straight or bent arms? I figure straight arms, but if pressing to headstand this obviously will not be possible.

Saber2
Lavastine said:
This means that if you get to box HeSPUs and no further, then you do 10 sets of that. While if you do Box HeSPU, Negative HeSPU, Full HeSPU, Elevated(say 4") HeSPU, thats 4 'rungs' of your HSPU ladder, so thats 2 or 3 sets. You divide the 10 sets (maximum) by the number of 'rungs'(variations of HSPUs) to get your actual number of sets.

I too am confused. Because if you do 5 excercises going up the progressions and back down is one round. So wouldn't that be 20 sets of total work. Even for the single progression, it seems you would have to do it twice to constitute one round. If one round consisted of going forward and another round going backward than it would be 10 working sets. Thanks for any clarification.

Also can somebody clarify Box HeSPUs....are these the same as Pike presses? That is probably how I will start the rounds but just wanted to know for future references.

Mathias Flækøy

Ok. I did this, and would preciate any feedback:

Warmup:

30sec straddle L with bent knees

20sec tuck front lever

30sec straddle L with bent knees

20sec tuck front lever

30sec frog stand

30sec L-sit

WOD

1x10 Cast Wall Walks

5 Pike Headstand Press

10 Straddle Headstand Press

Walking HSPU Ladders:

I can probably do 1 HandStand Pushup, so after all the presses, I could'nt finish 1 rep. So I didnt go all the way down and up. This is probably not good, but i did - but after 7 sets I did the HSPU at my stairs - my feet arent over my head, so this make it easier.

So:

2 "HSPU"

6 Wall Runs

10 times.

Saber2

Warm up/stretch

1x10 cast walks

1x5 Pike Press to HeS

1x10 Straddle Press to HeS

rested 3 minutes

Ladders

2 Pike presses 6 Wall runs

2 Negative HeS 6 Wall Runs

2 HeSPU 6 Wall runs

rest 3 minute

2 HeSPU 6 wall runs

2 Negative HeS 6 wall runs

2 pike presses 6 wall runs

rest 3 minutes

Did it again but only doing 1 rep.

Finished with 2x10 wrist pushups 1 set on knees other against the wall.

The Press to HS is turning out to be extremely challenging to master. No matter how high I put my legs. I have my back against the wall too. This is going to be a slow process for improvement, but as long as it moves in the right direction I can't complain.

Guest

Wasn't able to do the full workout today. I only did the cast wall walks (5 full walks, with some short rests in between) and 5 partial ones (not all the way down). These are really unbelievably draining. Then I proceeded to the Press HS variations and I just could not do them (I have done straddle RLL Wall HS before but today it didn't 'click', not even from a box). I felt weak so I decided to forego the HSPU Ladders. Sorry Coach!

Razz

Any specific reason that there are no PL press HS in the WOD today?

Tarun Suri

Should I still do wall runs if my max HS hold is about 15s? I have't tested it in a while, so maybe it increased, but it shouldn't be substantially different. Also, if anyone plans on sharing a video of they're workout today, that would be great. I ask this because I feel like I may be doing something wrong. As soon as my shoulders, hands, and hips align, I simply cannot press. Even with my back to the wall and feet on a high box.

Joshua Naterman

Havoc, I think you may be best off trying just two steps instead of 6 at first, as long as you can do them without collapsing. You may not even want to touch your shoulders just yet, it may be enough to just lift your hand a few inches off the floor, you'll have to decide how far back you need to scale this!

I will have a video up this evening, my batteries are charging finally! Yay!

Cole Dano

Random i can do a 2 minute wall HS no problem, but the wall runs are quite difficult for me. In fact a few months back i was trying a little too hard, and tweaked my elbow which is still healing. So don't push, is seem to remember Coach Sommer saying a minute Wall HS being kind of the minimum for beginning the Wall Runs.

Remember, there's no hurry to get anywhere, interpret each WOD to your current ability level. The main thing is to stick with it for a long period of time and see what happens. In about seven weeks of consistently doing these, i'm really surprised at how solid the gains have been. And that's with a small collection of minor joint problems that mean i'm scaling way back. I'm looking forward to see how this approach pans out over the coming years.

Tarun Suri

I agree Brady. I've had far too many (well technically just 1, but took forever to heal) injuries like when I was doing crossfit and there would be nothing that I would hate more than another set back. I'm perfectly fine being patient. The one thing that is taking me a surprisingly long time to develop and I don't see it developing any time soon is the 30s german hang. Looks like back lever will have to wait a long long time. But that's fine by me.

Joshua Naterman

Good for you Havoc! The German hang is largely about trusting your body's reflexes. It won't let you get hurt, but it takes time for the body to adjust to the hang. I don't think it will take more than 2 months to develop if you're doing it every warm up.

Leandro

I'm starting the wods this week! I'm doing today's wod at night.

Any ideas on how to elevate my hands to a HeSPU? I live in a small apartment, I have pushup bars, but they're not horizontal. I'm thinking in doing with chairs, but it seems kinda dangerous...

Also, I think I can continue beyond elevated HeSPU, but I can't do korean HSPU because lack of equipment. I'm thinking in doing the 5th progression of HSPU as stomach to wall position, close to the wall, with as little assistance of the wall as possible. I can't do a free HeSPU on the floor yet, but I'm close. Is this 5th progression ok?

Joshua Naterman

If I were you I would make a single parallete with 1.5" schedule 40 PVC or higher and use that for the undergrip korean HSPU, but yea man, if you're strong enough then I don't see why you shouldn't do that. I would definitely say that it's a good idea to do full HSPU on cinder blocks, stacks of books tied together securely, stacks of wooden planks, or something else to elevate your hands to full HSPU ROM first for a while, because the book says that the Koreans are harder. I am not there yet, though by the end of the year it's looking like I will have my first full ROM HSPU!!! YEEEA BOY!!!!

Leandro

Alright! I'm not quite sure yet if I can, but before I injured my ankle and had to stop for 3 months, I was doing full rom HSPU on paralletes, back to wall, feet touching wall, for 3-4 reps=D

Hey that's great! Don't forget to record them! I've been watching your videos on you tube and learning a lot!

Some of them even have funny moments lol. I can't forget those two kids playing around your frogstand - is that a movie??? lolll

Joshua Naterman

LOL yes, yes... kids are funny! There's a guy who comments all the time on how much he loves how things get knocked over all the time! Don't you worry, the recordings SHALL continue, and today's WOD will be one of them.

Cody Clark

For the Handstand Pushup ladder does he mean once you go up all the way to the hardest varation you can do and, come back down your done or, do you do more rounds of HSPU ladder.

Also once you get done with HSPU you go right to stomach to the wall handstand and do wall runs or stay with back to the wall and do it that way.

Blairbob

Cody,

continue on upward through the HSPU progressions in this fashion until you reach the hardest variation you are capable of, rest 3-5 minutes and then reverse ladder back to the beginning. You will now have completed one round.

9) How many rounds you perform depends on the number of rungs that were in your ladder; e.g. you only made it to the first exercise, you will perform 10 rounds or if you made it to the 5th exercise, you will perform 2 rounds

.

So, again. Work up to the hardest HSPU progression you can do. Stop once you cannot progress anymore. That is 1/2 the round. Rest 3-5minutes and work down from the hardest progression and you have completed the round.

If progression 1 is your max, do 10 rounds. Progression 2, 5 rounds. Progression 3, 3 rounds. Etc.

Joshua Naterman

So it appears that we have to go UP 10 rungs total. Going down again is not part of how we determine the rounds we do, if I am correct. Going up is how we calculate, since it is clearly dictated that we should go down again. If I do 4 rungs, then after my second round I'd have 2 rungs left. I don't know what Coach recommends in that case. I assume I'd just go as far as I could again for a third round.

Erik Sjolin

I'm conflicted about how this workout went...

-the cast wall walks were awesome (2x5, which is a marked improvement from last time)

-however the HeS presses haven't improved at all since I started. I can do them in a handstand if I tuck my legs up, but it doesn't matter how high the box is, I can't really press up. Doesn't really help that my straddle sucks.

-As far as the ladders went, I usually go to 2.5 rounds since I can only get to the elevated HeSPU. However, because of a lack of space, I had to just do 3x3 elevated HSPU. One thing that really really bugs me about it is my back always arches on the final press. I do these with my feet against the wall (been working on freestanding ones to floor height), and can't seem to rid myself of that arch.

So, all in all...good workout in itself (as always), I'm just not sure how my performance was.

Max Johnson

I was working hard for 1hr 45mins today - I didn't fail any reps, but probably needed the full 5 min rest periods I took to make it this long.

Workout:

Warmup:

Starjumps, jump rope

FSP warmup:

2 x (15s bent straddle + 15s low L hang)

2 x (15s planche lean + 15s reverse pushup)

2 x (15s bent l-sit + 15s german hang)

WOD:

1x5 Cast Wall Walks, 1x5 Bent Leg Wall Walks (Crawls?)

1x5 Pike Box Press HeS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HeS

rest 5 mins

5 rounds of:

2x box HeSPU, 6 wall runs

2x negative HeSPU, 6 wall runs

rest 5 mins

2x negative HeSPU, 6 wall runs

2x box HeSPU, 6 wall runs

rest 5 mins

2x10 wrist pushups on knees

Notes:

  • [*:2w534apb]The Cast wall walks were quite taxing so I made the latter reps a bit easier.
    [*:2w534apb]Pike and Straddle box press HeS are currently seem impossible - the hardest part of the workout - and I don't have a box the right height. I ended up kicking up a lot and trying to do negatives. This was my first encounter with press HS work.
    [*:2w534apb]I've mostly only done handstands and HeSPU negatives with my fingers touching the wall, but I noticed the positioning in the book today and started doing them with my hands a few inches back. It's much easier and feels more productive - my hands don't need to be as wide. But I still can't do a wall HeSPU in this position. My bad hand positioning might've been what made the press HeS work so difficult... please forgive my incompetence.
    [*:2w534apb]My wall runs merely consisted of leaning onto one hand and briefly lifting the other millimetres off the ground.
    [*:2w534apb]My wrist pushups are getting stronger. But should I postpone a wrist series from the warmup (palm up leans, palm down leans, dorsal, wrist, first knuckle, finger and fingertip hopping pushups) to the end if wrist pushups are included in the WOD? Or just skip the wrist pushups part in the warmup?

Leandro

Kal, press to HS are quite hard to master. Theres a lot of things that need strength, not only shoulder, also good flexibility is needed... Take a look at my wod, I went to 5 progressions on HSPU, but, in the press HS, I had the same problem you had!

Here's my wod:

45 minutes of bike ride for my cardio, medium intensity

FSP:

4x15s Low L-Sit

4x15s Adv. Frogstand on PB

4x15s Basic Tuck FL

4x15s Low Bent Straddle L (2 with PB 2 with fingers back)

1x30s German Hang

4x15s Basic Tuck BL

6x6s Low Bent MSH - these fried my triceps, even 6 seconds!

Between every hold, I stretched, wrists, pike, straddle, and shoulder dislocates

This was 30 minute total, maybe I will have to reduce it next time....

To the wod!

Cast Wall Walks 3x, 1x, 2x, 2x, 2x. These were a lot harder than I thought.

5x Pike Press to HEADstand. I can't prees to HS yet...no way...

2x5 Straddle Box Press to HS. Very high box, very hard to do, hard on wrists, shoulder and legs

Walking HSPU Ladders:

2 Box HeSPU, 6 HS Wall Runs

2 Negative free HeSPU, 6 HSWR

2 ascending free HeSPU, 6 HSWR

2 Elevated HeSPU, 6 HSWR

2 Elevated(half as b4), facing wall HeSPU, 6 HSWR

Rested 5 minutes. I was very tired, all the next I performed 1 repetition for the 2 harder variations.

Went back the ladder.

5 minutes rest

Repeated the whole round 1 more time.

2x10 Wrist Pushups with knees.

I planed to stretch after wod, but I was so tired that I couldn't....

But that was a heluva shoulder and triceps work!!

Tarun Suri

5x cast wall walks (pretty draining!)

all the box presses were impossible.

Did 9x5s HS holds, because I wasn't able to do 1 wall HeSPU.

Finished with 1x10 piked wrist pushups. I tried a second set, but I kept getting this weird click and a feeling that was like a muscle strand superposing itself on another one (on right hand only). It's not the first time I've gotten these.

Beginning next month, I'll start incorporating HS holds in my WU. I'll likely start with only 30s worth of work though. Verticle pressing is clearly my weakness. Anxiously waiting for your box press video Slizz.