This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100823

Started by Coach Sommer, August 23, 2010 · 40 Replies · 3,769 Views

Coach Sommer
I do stairway runs in our apartment building instead of sled runs.

Excellent choice.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
Jumping deck squats!

No. Instead of substituting for the sled sprints, with this choice you have simply duplicated the killers.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

I know, they are very similarin ROM and muscle emphasis. The biggest difference I see between the sled sprints and the deck squats is the ROM, as the sprinting done right should be very glute-ham oriented, which is pretty similar at the bottom of the ROM. I know it's not perfect, but I really don't have any ideas beyond that or a band-resisted sprint done for reps. Of course they are more quad and glute dominant once you get up towards parallel and beyond, and are certainly quite difficult so they certainly wouldn't be my FIRST choice.

LOL!!!!! I didn't even THINK of stair sprints. That's definitely better.

Coach Sommer
I know, they are very similarin ROM and muscle emphasis. The biggest difference I see between the sled sprints and the deck squats is the ROM, as the sprinting done right should be very glute-ham oriented, which is pretty similar at the bottom of the ROM.

I originally thought so as well.

However sled sprints, at least when I am overseeing them 8), crush my older athletes in a manner that double bodyweight squats (done gymnastics style with two teammates sitting on one athlete's shoulders in front of the stall bars) and all other manner of maximal leg work have never even come close to.

You may also find it interesting to note that the primary leg conditioning of the top vaulter in China is hill runs with a weighted vest.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

I absolutely agree!!!!!

It is actually really funny to me that most of my increases in leg strength are coming with practically no squatting. The sled sprints are great. I suppose it's also a bit sad that the killers make me more tired than the sled sprints! :lol: Of course, I'm doing them immediately afterward so it's almost like continuing the sprint, but that set is pretty tough. I needed about 5 good breaths before I was ready to mount my now perfect GHR set up! My sled sprints are up a slight hill, it's not too steep. In a month or two I'll move them to a steeper hill in the neighborhood, but for right now they're still doing what they need to.

HAHAHA!!!! Great creativity with the squats! That's classic. Literally! I'm not surprised the sprints are tougher, and they probably contribute more to your athletes' actual performance as well. The squats are good for increasing what they can put into those sprints and how well they absorb their landings, I think, but are certainly nowhere near as specific!

The weighted vest is something that, since I have one now, I should experiment with for some of my warm ups. I've found that light sled sprints are the single best generalized warm up I have ever done, but I have never done weight vest sprints. More ideas for more fun! :D

Wheelson

Apparently my post from yesterday decided to disappear on me ?

well I did 3 rounds of

-100-200m sprints with a 40 lb weight vest (not terribly taxing, but I made due)

-14 killers with said 40 lb weight vest (the third set I also added 20 lbs of dumbbells)

-5 slow controlled GHR negatives with lightly assisted positives

after this was all done I still had some work left in me, so I continued with

2 sets of 5 pistols each leg

then 2 sets of GHR Halfs.

finished up with 60 seconds of PB low straddle l-sit holds 4x15

and today, my posterior chain... is sore.

Max Johnson

Third WOD.

Workout:

Warmup:

Jump rope

Wrists prehab - palm down leans, palm up leans, mostly knee pushups of: (10x fingertips, 10x first knuckle, 10x wrists, 10x last knuckle, 10x fingertip flying)

FSP warmup:

2 x (15s low L hang)

2 x (15s planche lean + 15s reverse pushup)

2 x (15s bent l-sit + 15s german hang)

WOD:

3 rounds, each with 5 mins rest of:

Running up stairs with 20 lbs backpack

14 unweighted killers

5 natural leg curls

3 x 20s bent straddle L

Notes:

  • [*:1za81mvx]I'm glad running up stairs was a favoured substitution for shuttle runs. I didn't find this too taxing, but the 20 lbs of hardback books in my pack were proving themselves to be uncomfortably pointy...
    [*:1za81mvx]I haven't done any lunges in ages, so even unweighted killers were quite difficult - I can definitely feel them in my thighs today.
    [*:1za81mvx]My NLC form isn't particularly great. My hips stay straight, but the movement isn't very controlled and my fingers touch a bit early.

Coach Sommer
... I'm glad running up stairs was a favoured substitution for shuttle runs. I didn't find this too taxing ...

If the bookbag alone is insufficient, consider carrying dumbbells as well. Remember that this is a maximal leg day.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Max Johnson
Coach Sommer said:
If the bookbag alone is insufficient, consider carrying dumbbells as well. Remember that this is a maximal leg day.
I'll load it a bit heavier next time; I'd never done any weighted sprints and so I didn't really know what I could cope with. I don't have any dumbbells, but I'm sure I could improvise - thanks for the tip. Might not need them for a while though, as I've managed to stuff 45 lbs of books in that bag for pullups in the past. And I have a bigger bag with math/physics textbooks to spare... 8)

The killers and NLC were definitely maximal, at least.

Gavin Strelitz

Nice workout. Straddle l isn't an option for me at this stage with my hand being the way it is, so I did a PB support for 60s.

3 rounds of:

30m sprint with weighted backpack (two telephone directories, not sure what that weighs)

14 weighted killer

5 natural leg curls. These have got alot better.

1 min PB support

Stretching routine

Razz

Gavin you couldn't do straddle-l on p bars?

Saber2

Ok this might not be the best place for this post, but I have a question regarding weight vest vs sled. Which is safer? I imagine if you have access to the sled you should use it because you will avoid putting that extra impact on your joints when using the vest. Also the sled would be more tiring since it is something that is tethering you back where as the weight vest is just holding you down. I don't know the physics behind both methods but I imagine there has to be a difference. Its kind of like the Army days of marching with the ruck sack. You could have two rucks filled with the same stuff but in a different order. If the heavy stuff was at the bottom it felt heavier than if it was at the top near the shoulders. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Stewart Whaley

On Tuesday 8/24

3 rounds

100 lb Farmer's walks on treadmilll for 1.5 mins on 15 degree incline (elk hunting trip coming up so did these versus sled)

14 killers (body weight, 20 pound dbs, bodyweight)

5 GHRs: band assisted all 3 sets

60 secs straddle L total - definitely getting better at these

Gavin Strelitz
Razz said:
Gavin you couldn't do straddle-l on p bars?

My straddle-l isn't great at all as I haven't really practiced it much. When I do try it I have to grip the bars (paralletes/pb-bars) quite hard with my hands. I have a fractured finger so I can't grip the bar fully with my left hand. That's why I haven't worked it for this WOD. I can do l-sit and PL work on the PB because I can take the weight on my palms without needing to grip the bars hard.

Razz

Ooh okay I see, hope it heals fast! ;)

Gavin Strelitz

Cheers.