This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100823

Started by Coach Sommer, August 23, 2010 · 40 Replies · 3,769 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform 3 rounds of:

30m Sled Sprint

14 Weighted Killers

5 Natural GHR

Finish the workout with 60 seconds total aggregate work of a straddle L variation.

notes:

1) Add sufficient weight to the sled/tire sprints to make the sprints quite challenging; the running should be very strenuous.

2) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting, have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap. The best substitute, and possibly even better then the sled sprints, is to run up a very steep hill with a weighted vest.

3) Killers are essentially a jumping lunge.

4) To perform Killers, first assume a right kneeling lunge position where the right foot is in front and flat on the ground with the right knee bent at approx. a 90-degree angle. The left leg will be behind with the left knee on the ground approximately 14-16†behind the heel of the right foot and the toes of the left leg curled under to aid in the coming jump. From this position, explode upward into the air as high as possible. At the top of the jump, switch the right leg backward and the left leg forward landing in the opposite lunge position. This constitutes one repetition. Continue for the prescribed number of repetitions.

5) Be careful to only allow the knee of the back leg to only lightly touch the ground. DO NOT bounce off of the ground with this knee or injury will result.

6) If possible, the Killers should be performed weighted by holding dumbbells at your sides. 20-40lb dumbbells should be sufficient for most people.

7) Use the minimum momentum necessary to complete the Natural GHR.

8 ) Rest 5 minutes between sets.

Joshua Naterman

Coach: To answer questions I know will be coming, do you recommend that Straddle L work be left out of the FSP warm up for this WOD and simply performed at the end or is this meant to give us two sessions of Straddle L work?

certaintragedy

Slizz,

Are you insinuating that we are to be doing FSPs before the WOD? So before two of the 4 WOD per week you reccomend working FSPs? Sorry if this is a stupid question, im new ;)

SorenPA

Yes, the FSPs should be done as a warm up for the WOD. You can also choose to do them after the WOD, however it is recommended that you do them as warm up. Remember to do the FSP holds as 50% of maximum, so you do not spend all your energy on the warm up :)

Joshua Naterman

You can watch my video " My FSP Warm Up" to see how I do this. It is very time efficient and is a great warm up!

Coach Sommer
slizzardman said:
Coach: To answer questions I know will be coming, do you recommend that Straddle L work be left out of the FSP warm up for this WOD and simply performed at the end or is this meant to give us two sessions of Straddle L work?

In this instance it is fine to separate the Straddle-L from the rest of the FSP work till after the main body of the workout is completed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

nf46

Just wondering, would today be a good time to include ankle prehab? If not, then when would?

Thanks for any answers in advance

Nick F

Joshua Naterman

It is a fine time, but you'll get the most out of putting your joint prehab into two categories: Things that should be done every single day either pre-workout or post, like stretches and some lightweight strengthening, and things that should be done once or twice a week like more heavy-duty joint strength. There are components of the Liquid Steel™ system that seem to work just fine with once a week. If you've been to the seminars you'll know what some of that is. If not, I suppose you should follow the best joint prehab you can think of. Just remember that a lot of joint prehab is really tendon and ligament conditioning! There is an aspect of balanced muscular strength in joint prehab as well. You really have to look at what is vulnerable in each joint and think of ways to protect against those aspects of the joint while not having a negative impact on your overall training program.

For the moment it sounds like you've got a plan, so I would do that, and perhaps do a light version during your warm up and the real deal after your last work set.

Cody Clark

Would pushing a wheel Barrow be just as good as sled sprints.

Coach Sommer
Cody Clark said:
Would pushing a wheel Barrow be just as good as sled sprints?

Yes, if performed with a heavy load and running, they are essentially the same thing.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Josh Schmitter

Good to be back after a week of revamping my warm-up routine/getting my schedule back in order with a kid in the house(thanks for all the kind words). I did some iso pull up/dip work before the WOD today too after my warm-up:supersetting top of pull up(20s)/bottom of chin(30s) with 3 dipping positions(20-30s). Rested by feel, no strict time. Did my holds An-1.

3 rounds of:

Hill sprints(working on sans heel running these days...all ball)

14 Killers with 15lbs in each hand

5 GHR halves...took a short video today to check my nasty form which helped a lot. I realize now I should just be staying almost completely upright at start and finish as I don't have the strength to hold myself at an angle for all the reps.

Did this in the rain. It's been a while since a good rain workout so this felt really good. Skipped the straddle L due to some acid reflux-like issues as well as having to jog over and pick up my new glasses.

also..just a little something I came across to share for some inspiration and/or humbling:

(not sure how you embed the video...tried the youtube button?)

The jump into planche is pretty damn killer.

Tarun Suri

Looks like I got the leg workout I was looking for. Man that hit the spot.

3 rounds of:

- sled sprints (bench around 50lbs + 4x45lbs plates). Was difficult but not overly challenging. Also not sure I got 30 meters, probably more like 20m, but I didn't want to piss off people at the gym with 3-4 runs through the weight room.

-14 killers (unweighted). I can do these with weights next time. But it was my metcon that made these harder than they probably should be.

-5 natural leg curls (negatives to 1-2 inch parallel, and a push back to top). I was confused with these. In the book there are natural leg curls and GHR (half would be my progression). I wasn't sure what a natural GHR was so I did natural leg curls.

Finished with Straddle L bent on bench (4x15s). I have trouble doing these with hands facing backwards. Sure its hard on the elbows but the balance was really hard also.

I was mentally drained. I forgot my rings at the gym! There my friends. Thank god one of the trainers, a friend of mine, brought it with him, so I know they are safe.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Hand is healing fine.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

3 rounds:

A1) 55 lb DB swing x 25

A2) 25 lb DB's, killers x 14

A3) band assisted natural leg curl x 5

6x10 sec of straight leg straddle L/low

--legs are well below parallel here, I'm wondering if I would be better off working bent-leg straddle L with thighs parallel to ground?

Nice workout, though the 3 sets of 25 DB swings coupled with the other exercises really did a number on my hamstrings!

Cody Clark

Heres what I did

1. 30m Wheel Barrow Push sprints

2. 14 killers with 25 pound dumbells

3. 5 Natural Glute Ham Raise

Then I did some Straddle L sits and core work with HLL and some static holds to finish off.

Joshua Naterman

Nice work! My WOD:

3 rounds of:

30-40m sled sprint, 90 lbs on the sled.

14 killers, emphasis on a rigid landing, BW only. These were pretty easy this time, next time I'll add some weight with my vest.

5 Natural GHR. These were more bent than last time, but it was the first day of the semester and I was horribly unprepared in the food and water department. So, I suffered from some undue weakness lol! Still a great workout!

Finish: 60s low straight straddle L. 4x15s, half with hands forward and half with hands backwards.

I REALLY wanted to video tape this WOD but my battery charger has mysteriously taken a vacation. I hope to have that back for tomorrow.

Tarun Suri

For future reference, I assume these sled sprints are where you are pulling weight and not pushing right? I did the pushing type.

Also, will someone be able to clear up whether it's Natural Leg Curls or GHR, because in the book there is no such thing as Natural GHR.

Coach Sommer
killroy70 said:
A1) 55 lb DB swing x 25

DB swings are not an appropriate substitute for the sled work in this maximal strength WOD. In other instances when the primary use of the sled is to simply raise the heart rate prior to dynamic work, they are fine. However when the use of the sled is to build maximal strength, the DB swings provide insufficient stimulus.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
... will someone be able to clear up whether it's Natural Leg Curls or GHR, because in the book there is no such thing as Natural GHR ...

The Natural GHR listed for this WOD are in BtGB as Half GHR. My apologies for the confusion. We use these terms interchangably in the gym.

I assume these sled sprints are where you are pulling weight and not pushing right?

Either pushing or pulling the sled is fine.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Calder Photography

Did:

Warmup: FSP'S

3 rounds of:

30m hill sprint w/10kg vest

14 killers w/10kg vest

5 Leg curls

The sprints were fine but the Killers well...KILLED my legs.

Finished w 4x15 sec straddle l holds.

Also did 2 sets 1-3 reps per arm of OAC progressions/ 5 mins handstand work/ 5 mins manna work

With manna, I can barely lift my hips with a straight back and keeping my knees from going higher than my hips. any advice?

Cole Dano
Redlac said:

With manna, I can barely lift my hips with a straight back and keeping my knees from going higher than my hips. any advice?

Stick with it, thats why Coach puts so much emphasis on the MSH, it shocking. Also if you're not already doing this, it helps to be high enough off the floor. I use a couple of chairs or a table right now.

Kenneth Manning
Coach Sommer said:
"DB swings are not an appropriate substitute for the sled work in this maximal strength WOD. In other instances when the primary use of the sled is to simply raise the heart rate prior to dynamic work, they are fine. However when the use of the sled is to build maximal strength, the DB swings provide insufficient stimulus."

Had to do this workout in the morning and it was pouring rain here in Northeast, PA. When performing the WOD in an environment where running/sprinting is not possible (bad weather conditions and small workout space), what would a good sub be? Perhaps heavy SLS? Back/Front BB squats? I definitely see that DB swings do not lend themselves to max leg strength work, but I've never done sled sprints and wasn't sure how to replicate them without...actually....sprinting... Any suggestions?

Cole Dano

I've been doing heavy band pulls. I have eye bolts in a wall, hook a couple of bands up and use a dowel to push with.

I'd use a hill, but i can't figure out how to do the GHR element outdoors with no calf support.

Guest

I do stairway runs in our apartment building instead of sled runs. Definitely heavy on the legs if you do a couple of floors (especially if you skip steps)!

Joshua Naterman
killroy70 said:
Coach Sommer said:
"DB swings are not an appropriate substitute for the sled work in this maximal strength WOD. In other instances when the primary use of the sled is to simply raise the heart rate prior to dynamic work, they are fine. However when the use of the sled is to build maximal strength, the DB swings provide insufficient stimulus."

Had to do this workout in the morning and it was pouring rain here in Northeast, PA. When performing the WOD in an environment where running/sprinting is not possible (bad weather conditions and small workout space), what would a good sub be? Perhaps heavy SLS? Back/Front BB squats? I definitely see that DB swings do not lend themselves to max leg strength work, but I've never done sled sprints and wasn't sure how to replicate them without...actually....sprinting... Any suggestions?

Jumping deck squats! I think that's most similar to the sprints in terms of muscle activation and high force, at least when you do explode up as hard as you can! I think we'll be best off hearing what Coach says.

A series of squat jumps from a half squat, kind of like senders, may also be a good sub. I don't know. I hope Coach lets us know what he would prefer.

Tarun Suri
Coach Sommer said:
... will someone be able to clear up whether it's Natural Leg Curls or GHR, because in the book there is no such thing as Natural GHR ...

The Natural GHR listed for this WOD are in BtGB as Half GHR. My apologies for the confusion. We use these terms interchangably in the gym.

I assume these sled sprints are where you are pulling weight and not pushing right?

Either pushing or pulling the sled is fine.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks coach, although I just feel like I cried wolf. I just noticed that one is a prerequisite progression of the other so I would have done NLCs anyways. Regardless, I feel more comfortable with what I did during my workout since I could only perform negatives. Half GHR would have been beyond me.