This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100817

Started by Coach Sommer, August 17, 2010 · 45 Replies · 4,735 Views

Stewart Whaley

2 mins on treadmill

FSP warmup - FL adv tuck, L-sit , german hang, PL leans, beginning MSH on dip bars

3 sets of: 3 jumping MU with 3 ring dips at the top, XR L-sit, 3 press to shoulder stand, press out to XR Support, Negative MU to hang, lift legs to hanging L-sit, Crank, Half Reverse Crank

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

5x15 seconds German Hang

2x10 Wall Extensions

Used wrist straps on the ring series so my grip would still exist when I got to the hangs (barely made it ).

Between the 2 WODs and wrestling last night my arms are toast!

Cole Dano
Steve Sisk said:
Mr Brady said:
Seeing as the MU is far away and the SS is a something i'm getting comfortable with i decided to split the ring seq. into 3 parts:

Mu work-

3 pb dips + 3 pull ups

playing with Russian dips

SS work-

3 x 3 imbedded pb SS

Rings:

3x Crank + 1/2 Rev Crank

So this is how WOD scaling is done. I get the idea, but when it comes to the actual substitutions I'm not sure what to do. I think we might be at about the same level; I appreciate your templates as a reference!

That's the reason we post here, so we can all learn from each other. I'm not 100% sure that what i did was right, but i've tried playing with the MU in similar WOD's and found it pointless because i have to scale it down so much that i don't get the benefit of the PU or Dip, both of which i need work on. Doing it this way felt effective, but not particularly time efficient.

Hopefully after going to the seminar in a couple of weeks i'll have more insight into the fine art of scaling to share.

Joshua Naterman

My video is uploading now. You'll see how I work this, it's easy and doesn't waste any time.

It would be a very good idea to work 2 sets of Russian dip holds after the WOD is over, just so that you can get used to it, and preferably to do one set each WOD until your muscle ups are mega solid.

Joshua Naterman

SaP71gXs3-s

There we go!

SorenPA

Late post, but I did the workout yesterday (morning in Denmark atm)

I scaled the WOD down, and did my best to modify it to a single over head bar.

I warmed up with FSP:

-2x 20 sec tuck planche

-2x 30 sec adv. Tuck FL

-2x 15 sec full lay BL

My WOD did as follows:

3 sets of:

- 1x false grip pull-ups on bar (wrists resting on bar). I did 2 positives at first to get used to this exercise as I had never done it before.

- 3x jumping MUs, with a slow negative component. (need to do just deep dips next time)

- I tried to see if I could do the SS on the bar, but I did not feel I was ready for such a feat just yet, so I decided to look at it after the WOD.

- Tuck crank

- Full lay reverse crank attempt.

I had rests between exercises, but strived to keep them as short as I could while still being able to perform the next exercise. The slow negative component of the MU went better than expected. In the first two sets I could actually lower my self at a pretty steady pace all to the ground 8) I had never done the crank or reverse crank before. The tucked crank went well. The full lay reverse crank I failed to hold the BL position on the two first sets, as I had to get the inverted pike -> BL down. On the last set I succeeded in holding the BL for a second or two, but the inverted pike – BL transition still needs work.

Then I did 5 sets of:

15 sec Inverted Hang (bar)

15 sec Support Hold (bar)

15 sec German Hang (bar)

Between the Support Hold and German Hang I had to change the height of the bar. I did this as fast as I could. So as close to no rest as possible on the 5 sets. I had a bit of struggle with my grip strength at the end of the sets.

As the last part of the WOD I took a look at the SS.

3 single repetitions of the following:

I did a head stand, and then lowered with a straight body into a 45 degree angle, while lifting the head from the floor and pushing slightly with the arms. Then I tried to hold the position for as long as I could. It was quite tough on the triceps, which was pretty smashed from yesterdays WOD.

Finished of with the 2x10 wall extensions.

Calder Photography

Here's my attempt at the WOD:

JJuK9uOH96k

I know I'm probably going completely wrong so I'm looking for any advice you can offer on what to improve!

Thanks so much,

Tom.

Alexander Moreen

Muscle ups are both arms at once, not one then the other and if you can't do both at once I would be willing to bet you'd get better results doing some of the earlier progressions rather than continuing that way(at the very least, switch which arm goes up first). Hanging L's are with straight arms unless you have severe shoulder issues(if you do, then work on rehab/prehab stuff rather than continuing to work Ls). If you don't have access to rings(or parallel bars), then I would just go down to the ground to do L-sits and presses to headstand and then go back up to the bar for the cranks.

Saber2

This was fun

first set I forgot to do the shoulder stands in the proper sequence so I did them after.

Next two sets on the ring strength I copied Slizzardman's advice with the MU. I was only able to safely do 2 SS. On the second set I almost fell and the rings are high enough over a concrete floor :shock: The SS were in a tuck position. The last set honestly felt more like bent arm tuck planches rather than SS. Oh well give it time and I will progress.

Rested 4 mins between each ring set.

Then did the statics exactly as prescribed. I set the gymboss timer to 5s and 15s. The 5s is for transition to the next hold. The german hangs gave me no problem whatsoever today. That was because I was using my rings with chalk instead of the strap or bar where I slip. So I am happy about that.

The Wall extensions felt good. I feel my lowerback arching which I am trying to rectify. I still feel the cramping near the shoulderblades so I think I am doing it right.

Other than the near do-it-yourself facial reconstruction, this was a good workout. :mrgreen:

Guest

I am far away from achieving muscle ups, cranks w/full FL etcetera but I pleasantly surprised myself today :D

Last week I have done only one WOD due to illness and this week I have only managed to do one so far due to a very hectic schedule. Luckily, today I found the time to do one :( set of the ring strength series of this WOD in between arranging stuff/packing/preparing for a work-related trip to Berlin.

I did the following:

1 set of: 3x(false grip PU from seated + XR Dip), 3x XR L-sit press out to tuck SS, press out to XR support, hang, Crank (through tuck FL), Half Reverse Crank (through tuck BL)

Notes:

1) arms not yet completely straight during seated false grip pullup

2) XR L-sit press out to tucked SS was a huge surprise for me. At first I was afraid to overrotate but it went very nicely and slowly (no swinging/jumping/kipping) :D

3) I had to readjust the height of the rings somewhere in between movements so I couldn't do a continuous series.

Next week, back to a normal schedule which means: full-out WOD training!

Joshua Naterman
Redlac said:
Here's my attempt at the WOD:

JJuK9uOH96k

I know I'm probably going completely wrong so I'm looking for any advice you can offer on what to improve!

Thanks so much,

Tom.

An excellent first attempt!

My suggestions would be to do 3 false grip pull ups and 3 straight bar dips, going as low as you can on the dips. You want to try to do the L hang with straight arms. Your shoulders will be a little bit behind your hands, so don't worry about that! Try your best to hold your legs parallel with the ground. If you can't right now, that's ok, just hold them where you did. You were very close.

If all you have is a straight bar, then after moving from L hang to front lever what I would do is just roll backwards and dismount, then immediately get a CHIN UP grip and roll back into a back lever. You want to practice them with palms down, and do the same for German hangs! That will prepare your shoulders, chest and biceps for the harder stuff like real back levers, planche, and so on. Until you can do a 30s German hang easily, just work on that and don't actually try a tuck back lever or anything.

Great work!

You may want to look for my videos on the WOD threads as I will be trying to get them up a few times a week at least, so that if you see it before you work out you can have a better idea of what to do and if you see it afterwards you'll be able to make mental notes for next time!

Sternford

I did the first ring series and then after that the rings were too slippery for me to do any more muscle ups :I The rings are right in my living room too so chalk is not an option. I substituted pull ups instead for the rest

gymgreg
Sternford said:
The rings are right in my living room too so chalk is not an option.

I can recommend "Liquid Chalk".

Sometimes I use it myself (though not the brand in the clip, but Beal - "Pure Grip").

Any brand will do, just pick the cheapest. It is just alcohol, magnesium carbonate and thickener.

Here is this stuff in action:

KX7S2e-4Xn4

I think every climbing/outdoor shop will carries that stuff.

Cost: ~ $10 US for 250ml (which will last you some time)

Calder Photography

Thanks so much for your responses guys!

you've been a huge help and I'll definitely be taking what you said into account.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Slizzardman, Defintely something i needed.

Tom.

Calder Photography

I'd also love any advice people have on how they implement these WOD'S.

For instance, I live in Australia, and am planning on working the m/t/th/f schedule mentioned in coach sommers book, but I don't think the posting of the Wod's will correspond properly. I started 2 days ago and it's now thursday here, but there's no new WOD so would i just pick one of the older ones? I want to make sure all forms of strength are addressed throughout the week.

I know this might be a stupid question but I'd really love some input.

Tom.

Graham Smith

Hi Redlac, Welcome.

I also live in Australia (Perth) My workout schedule is Sunday, Tuesday after work, Thursday before work, Friday after work. This gives me generally at least 36 hours between workouts which I need for recovery.

So as far as the WOD's go, I do Monday's WOD on Tuesday, Tuesday's WOD on Thursday, Thursday's WOD on Friday, and Friday's WOD on Sunday. This way I am doing the WOD's pretty much as they are posted, it also gives me the advantage of seeing how some other people have scaled the WODs prior to me doing them. for example the other day Killroy70 suggested doing HeS presses with the head elevated on a box, which really helped me out.

If you're really keen to stick to the M,T,T,F schedule, then I would just start out one WOD behind. The important thing is to do every WOD to ensure that you are adequately training all your muscle groups.

Joshua Naterman

That liquid chalk stuff is awesome. Very good for people who go to gyms that frown on chalk!

Cole Dano
slizzardman said:
That liquid chalk stuff is awesome. Very good for people who go to gyms that frown on chalk!

And don't mind the lingering scent of alcohol! I use'd to use it in a studio (before i had my own) to do those holding the big toe backbends, i'd have to sneak into the dressing room wait a minute and sneak back in hoping no one notice the white stains on my hands and toes, only to find i was leaving a white trail behind me on the floor!

Lately i've found this and its even better with little if any mess, i keep a couple of bags around at all times.

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/eco_ball.html

Eco-Ball.jpg

Climbers use it because it doesn't leave a white spot on the rocks, but the same applies to any indoor situation. IMHO feels better and w/o the drying time and 1/2 the price.

Google eco ball chalk and you can find plenty of sources to get it from.

Ryan Libke

My attempt at the crank ended up in a clunk.

Razz
Wolf with one Ear said:
My attempt at the crank ended up in a clunk.

HAHA cracked me up!

certaintragedy

My second WOD:

This workout was discouraging.

I followed Slizz's advice on the muscle up progression:

1. Three false grip pulls then jump to muscle up position and press out 3 dips.

2. Jumped back up to l-sits then would have to jump down then back up to get into any kind of SS which looked like saber2 described as a bent arm tuck planche.

3. then did my support hold then dropped to l-sit. (cherry bombed it down, no control)

rested 4 min

repeated 2 more times. the ss got dangerous as i got more tired. (I scared some old men watching me in the park)

The static holds were ok. This is my first time doing the inverted hang. That put some strain on my grip.

I did 10 seconds of each 15 was too much for 3 rounds and called it a day.

The morning after my my forearm is pretty sore. I can't wait to do WOD 17 then 18!

Joshua Naterman

Great work scaling this WOD!