This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100817

Started by Coach Sommer, August 17, 2010 · 45 Replies · 4,735 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform the following:

3 sets of: 3 MU, XR L-sit, 3 press to shoulder stand, press out to XR Support, Negative MU to hang, lift legs to hanging L-sit, Crank, Half Reverse Crank

5x15 seconds Inverted Hang

5x15 seconds XR Support Hold

5x15 seconds German Hang

Finish the workout with 2x10 Wall Extensions.

notes:

1) Do not rest during the Ring strength series. As much as possible, the ring strength series should be performed as a single set, uninterrupted by stops or rests.

2) Perform the most difficult MU variation that you are capable of performing without kipping or swinging.

3) Progressions for developing the XR shoulder stand are found in the Basic Rings Strength 3 essay.

4) Rest at least 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets.

5) Complete all 3 sets of the ring strength series prior to beginning the static hold position sets.

6) Perform the static hold sets as a single giant set; perform a set of Inverted Hang, then move immediately to the XR Support Hold and then move immediately to the German Hang.

7) A short rest (30-60 sec) is allowed during the static hold positions work only after a single giant set has been completed.

gymgreg

My take on today's ring sets.

8123e_8qyZI

Cole Dano

Nice as always GG!

Alexander Moreen

Does 3 press to shoulderstand mean to do it like Greg is doing it in his video with just the leg lifting portion? I've always done it from support for each repetition.

gymgreg
Lavastine said:
Does 3 press to shoulderstand mean to do it like Greg is doing it in his video with just the leg lifting portion? I've always done it from support for each repetition.

You are right.

I don't know why I only did the leg lifts today. Usually I do the L-Sit to Shoulder Stand.

Meh... it was early in the morning.

Cole Dano
gymgreg said:
Lavastine said:
Does 3 press to shoulderstand mean to do it like Greg is doing it in his video with just the leg lifting portion? I've always done it from support for each repetition.

You are right.

I don't know why I only did the leg lifts today. Usually I do the L-Sit to Shoulder Stand.

Meh... it was early in the morning.

I'm not so sure that was 'wrong' why else would it say after that 'press out to XR support'?

Alexander Moreen

Thats what I was wondering, I was thinking it might mean try to press out of the shoulderstand as you come back down to support(as a progression to someday do a full HSPU on rings).

Thats not to say gregs video was bad, it was still great, very smooth and strong.

Cole Dano

Seeing as the MU is far away and the SS is a something i'm getting comfortable with i decided to split the ring seq. into 3 parts:

Mu work-

3 pb dips + 3 pull ups

playing with Russian dips

SS work-

3 x 3 imbedded pb SS

Rings:

3x Crank + 1/2 Rev Crank

i miss-read the static holds and did them as individual sets

however, i might have done it that way anyhow as at least for me i want the rings to be at different heights for each of the holds. How do others deal with this?

(as a side note, i am using the UltraTimer app for iPhone and it is perfect for the work we do here, i highly recommend it to any iPhone users out there)

Coach Sommer
Lavastine said:
Does 3 press to shoulderstand mean to do it like Greg is doing it in his video with just the leg lifting portion? I've always done it from support for each repetition

The XR Shoulder Press entails moving from the L-sit to the shoulder stand. Performed for reps would then require pressing back out of the shoulder stand back to the L-sit; except for the 3rd rep in this series which was specified to press back out to a XR Support Position, rather than the L-sit, to faciliate the negative MU.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Newguy

Coach,

I do believe that you are sitting in a nice comfy office chair, laughing at poor suckers like me who tried to complete Yesterdays & Today's workout. Just imagining the sheer amounts of pain you are putting us through :shock:

Yours sincerely,

That new guy who is writhing in PAIN!!!!

Nah Just kidding great workouts coach, if the pain (The good kind of course) is any indication of how much these WOD's will help my Gymnastic abilities I am going to be a Pro :P

Coach Sommer
I do believe that you are sitting in a nice comfy office chair, laughing at poor suckers like me who tried to complete Yesterdays & Today's workout. Just imagining the sheer amounts of pain you are putting us through

The GB WODs must be scaled just about right then. I get the same reaction from my own athletes! 8)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

OOOH yea. I am very surprised that I could perform as well as I did today, considering what we did yesterday. I totally got smoked yesterday, and ring strength is never easy but with a little scaling I did great!

3 rounds:

3 foot-supported false grip pull ups, 3 full ROM dips, 3x XR L-sit to tucked shoulder stand, negative MU to hanging L, pull to adv tuck FL, inverted pike, tuck BL.

I'm feeling good! This is exciting!

I finished with 2 rounds of XR support -> inverted hang -> German hang. I did 3 more rounds of inverted hang -> German hang, I'm a bit leery of doing too much support work with my shoulders just yet.

I am LOVING the WODs!I just keep getting stronger!

Tarun Suri

First time doing shoulderstands today. During my warmup, I was able to get in that position in a tuck position, but I couldn't do that from an Lsit position during the WoD. I took many intraset breaks, but I'm sure I'll become better with these movements. I'm happy that I was slowly able to drop from my jumping muscleups to hanging while keeping the false grip a few times. But my left wrist is a limiting my false grip by quite a bit. Wall bridges are beyond me.

Newguy
Coach Sommer said:
I do believe that you are sitting in a nice comfy office chair, laughing at poor suckers like me who tried to complete Yesterdays & Today's workout. Just imagining the sheer amounts of pain you are putting us through

The GB WODs must be scaled just about right then. I get the same reaction from my own athletes! 8)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

:lol: Even with the some scaling down they were still quite brutal :shock:

Cody Clark

Would jumping Muscle Ups be okay for the 3 Muscle Ups. Also how can I do a press to shoulder stand to make it easier without doing a 360 degree roll all the way around when I get up there. I can't do it right I fall almost off the rings when I do it what are some varations for this.

Alex Dienaar

Warmed up;

Wind sprints

Random movement and playing at a playground (jumping through swings, climbing, swinging, jumping, monkey "walks")

4x

15 sec Adv Tuck Front Lever

15 sec Tuck Planche (PB)

Then;

3x 3x False grip pullup (getting really solid) + 2x full ROM ring Dip + 2 x MU transition negative -> 5 sec L-sit -> Press to tuck Shoulder stand -> Push to Support -> Negative MU -> 5 sec L-Hang -> Pull to inverted hang -> 6 sec Straddle Front Lever -> Reverse 1/2 Crank (to adv tuck back lever).

5x the static giant set

God that 5x static giant set felt abnormally killer after the ring series. Loved this WoD!

Joshua Naterman

Cody: Jumping MU are fine, but I would suggest doing 3 false grip pull ups and 3 full ROM XR dips instead. That will build the strength you need more directly and faster. The jumping MU will help you get used to how your body needs to move, but that's probably better for a warm up.

For the shoulder stand, read the rings strength 3 essay, it's linked in the WOD. You won't be doing it at first, so don't feel bad! It's tough. I don't even have a good one yet.

Kenneth Manning

Slizz - I had the same reaction today - once I saw the WOD posted I wasn't sure how well I'd do considering yesterday's really smoked me. However, today's workout went really well, felt surprisingly strong.

Also, first workout (of any kind) where I've been able to do consecutive MU's without releasing the rings to reset my false grip. I've been doing the WODs (after coming off multiple SS cycles) for close to 2 months consistently and have seen some tremendous gains.

Set 1: 3 MU (personal record!!)--XR L sit-- 3 tuck "forward lean"** shoulder stand -- press to support -- negative MU -- hanging L crank to adv tuck FL -- half reverse crank

Set 2: same as above except 2 MU, failed on 3rd, took 20 sec rest, then 3rd MU and continued...

Set 3: same as #1-- took the full 5 min rest and really geared up for the MU's and nailed another 3 in a row

After watching greg's video, I decided to concentrate on slowly lowering after each MU; this really helped me to maintain my false grip, just by intentionally lowering slowly through the transition. It also helped pretty much eliminated any swinging.

Then I did the statics and inserted a few holds. I did them in this method:

pull from hang to adv tuck FL (3 sec hold) -- invert (15 sec hold) -- BL (3 sec hold) -- german hang (15 sec hold), drop from rings and then immediately XR support (15 sec hold) all x 5 sets

-this was the first workout where I really felt taxed on the XR support holds, definitely a result of really putting out a max effort on the MU's

wall extensions: (7+3), (7+3) [took 10 second breather after 7th rep in both sets)

I put ** after my "tuck forward lean shoulder stand" because I was only bringing my hips to around a 45 degree angle. Last time I did these I had a hard time keeping from rolling forward and I didn't want to break up the ring series. I have to really work on these separately, don't really have a good feel for them yet.

Great workout today!

Wheelson

Today is my first time actually replying to the workout of the day, but I've been at em about two weeks.

I did

4 rounds:

-3 false grip pull ups, 3 full ROM dips, 3x XR L-sit to tucked shoulder stand, negative MU to hanging L, hanging l raise to adv tuck front lever (held 5 seconds), pull to inverted hang, lower to advanced tuck back lever (held 5 seconds)

-the 4th round I did each exercise as a separate entity just to gain dexterity in all the positions and for the extra masochistic value

I then did

-5x15 inverted hangs and xr support holds as prescribed, but for some reason I kept getting a shooting pain in my right forearm when I did the german hangs. After the other static holds I tried the german hangs again and it felt fine, so I did 4x15 seconds of german hangs. Can anyone tell me what may have been going on in my forearm and any way to prevent it? admittedly they felt quite tight after the ring series.

-finished with 2x10 wall extensions

I'll be posting more regularly from now on I'm really looking forward to it

-will

Joshua Naterman

I think your forearms were just ttoo pumped with blood. I tore my wrist fascia in my left wrist years ago after doing something like 120 pull ups in 10 minutes and then immediately maxing out on push ups. At #77 it just all of a sudden felt like a book of matches lit inside my wrist near my pinkie. It was awful.

It will help to make sure you stretch your forearms really, really well during your WOD warm ups, and also do a lot of soft tissue massage from your shoulder down to your fingers. It will hurt but you will break up a lot of scar tissue that is limiting flexibility and that can make a HUGE difference.

Wheelson

Thanks Slizz you're always a huge help around here and I'll definitely start trying some of the tissues massages in conjunction with a thorough wrist/forearm warm up.

Just a quick question how long did that take to heal? sounds painful :?

Joshua Naterman

Almost 2 years. It was awful! I got yelled at every morning at specwar PT during Gunner's Mate school because I brought push up bars with me lol! I couldn't do push ups any other way for over a year without serious pain. I started getting kicked out of PT so I just did everything on my fists. There wasn't anything they could say about that, apparently!

Wheelson

:shock: OY! I think I'll do some stretching, massaging, and rolling and spare myself that pain and frustration

Sven Ravnstag
Mr Brady said:
Seeing as the MU is far away and the SS is a something i'm getting comfortable with i decided to split the ring seq. into 3 parts:

Mu work-

3 pb dips + 3 pull ups

playing with Russian dips

SS work-

3 x 3 imbedded pb SS

Rings:

3x Crank + 1/2 Rev Crank

So this is how WOD scaling is done. I get the idea, but when it comes to the actual substitutions I'm not sure what to do. I think we might be at about the same level; I appreciate your templates as a reference!

Calder Photography

How would you guys perform this without rings?