Hello all-
I just got my rings and BtGB today, and after a read through and some messing around with ring set-up I got started. Although I've got quite a few questions, the workout I had today has convinced me that this is it when it comes to upper body training.
Based on my understanding of Coach Sommer's programming guidelines, here was today's workout:
3 sets of 5 reps XR PPP
alternated with...
3 sets of 5 reps of XR rows with feet about level with rings.
Then I did 3 sets 5 reps of the V-Up Tuck
alternated with...
3 sets 5 reps Deck Squats for Height
I followed this (what I understand to be work on FBE "basic strength") with some FSP. Today I worked with L-Sits and Front Lever Tuck (approaching flat at times). I finished off with 10 minutes rope skipping.
Here are the questions I can think of at the moment:
Coach says to work a push, a pull, a core, and a leg movement each session. You work a different variation each of the four sessions, starting over with the first variation the next week. Correct? If so...
1) I assume I should work on one of each per session, and that things like upper body pulling, multiple-plane pulling/pressing, and curls would count as one of these once I'm able to to them. So a multiple-plane pull would count as a pull, a curl would be a pull, etc?
2) On the issue of set reps, at this point I needn't shoot for more than 5 reps per set, and when I feel that that's easy I move to the next progression for the movement? I did read about PTTP and Steady State, but within the context of these movements should I quit at 5 even if I can do more? Despite my desire to go harder, I'm thinking the patience and dedication of steady state is the way to go at least at the onset.
3) Fundamental Static Position work. I like this at the end of the strength training session, like Coach Sommers suggested. I know to work up to a comminlative minute with sets of 1/2 my maximum ability, but how many positions should I aim to work per session? Should I cycle the positions in a manner similar to the cycle of strength moves (here, cycling through a series every four session)?
Thanks to everyone for your patience and assistance. I'm excited to continue on with this training and am ready to put in some serious effort.