This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100812

Started by Coach Sommer, August 12, 2010 · 9 Replies · 1,896 Views

Coach Sommer

trvd6vsIE2o

Perform the following:

3x10 Weighted Killers

3x5 Tempo GHR

3x5 Tempo Body Levers

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) Rest 3-5 minutes between sets

2) Killers.are essentially a jumping lunge. To perform Killers, first assume a right kneeling lunge position where the right foot is in front and flat on the ground with the right knee bent at approx. a 90-degree angle. The left leg will be behind with the left knee on the ground approximately 14-16†behind the heel of the right foot and the toes of the left leg curled under to aid in the coming jump. From this position, explode upward into the air as high as possible. At the top of the jump, switch the right leg backward and the left leg forward landing in the opposite lunge position. This constitutes one repetition. Continue for the prescribed number of repetitions.

3) Be careful to only allow the knee of the back leg to only lightly touch the ground. DO NOT bounce off of the ground with this knee or injury will result.

4) Killers should be performed weighted by holding dumbbells at your sides. 20-40lb dumbbells should be sufficient for most people; although you should feel free to go heavier if possible.

5) Use the minimum momentum necessary to complete the GHR.

6) Perform the GHR and Body Levers with a tempo of 313. This is read as a 3 second descent, a 1 second pause and then a 3 second ascent.

7) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

Gavin Strelitz

Nice WOD for me as I can't really use my left hand all that much.

Completed:

3x10 Killers

3x5 Tempo Natural Leg Curls. These are brutal and I need to put in a lot of work to strengthen this up.

3x5 Tempo Body Levers. I did the variation moving from a vertical candlestick to 45 degrees and back up to vertical.

3x10 Hip Extensions

Stretching routine.

Thanks Coach, nice workout.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

Killers 20 lb DB's 3x10

Tempo band assisted natural leg curl 3x5 ("monster mini" jumpstretch band)

Tempo body levers 3x5 (first 2 sets were done full lay down to horizontal, last set did final 3 reps in a straddle)

Hip extensions 3x10 - it takes a lot of concentration for me to keep my support leg locked and straight, these are tough

Saber2

I am not looking forward to this one. This week my legs are gonna get smoked. Killroy nice work with the body levers. I am still struggling in that department. Hopefully tomorrow I can push past the sticking point.

Joshua Naterman

This was fun!

After warm up I did 3 rounds of:

10 killers, unweighted. I haven't done these before, so I decided to go light. THe emphasis is on a solid landing with minimal drop anyways so I will master that before I add weight.

5 Tempo GHR: I need to make a cut-out for my body on my GRH/Body lever machine, my board is just a bit too long. I can't go all the way vertical on the way down... Still, these were very tough. Pretty good work, though, especially considering I haven't worked these OR any deadlifting in a long time. Go sled sprints, shuttle runs and depth jumps!

5 Tempo Body lever. These were slightly inclined, so I couldn't go to horizontal. The drawbacks of my current situation... :P Next time I"ll brace my set-up with some wood or something to flatten it out.

This went quite well. I made a video of my first and second round. It will be here and my training log tonight or tomorrow.

Stewart Whaley

Perform the following:

3x10 Weighted Killers - 1 set bodyweight, 2 sets with 20lb dumbells

3x5 Tempo GHR - not a good GHR option at work so 1 set Hip Extension Leg Curl, 2 sets HELC holding 30lb dbs

3x5 Tempo Body Levers - full lay with some piking on the way down, lot of piking and flat tucks on the way up.

1x10 Hip Extensions front and side - ran out of time (lunch).

Finished remainder at home - 2x10 front/side and 3x10 circles.

Tough leg week - ran laps and sprints at the start of boxing last night, too.

Graham Smith

Silly me, thinking that those hip extensions would be a cooldown to the workout rather than the rest of the workout just being a warmup for the hip extensions. Ouch!

3 x 10 killers, no weight but great skiing prehab

3 x 5 GHR with assistance at the extreme ROM

3 x 5 tempo body levers, some pike up, straight lever down

3 x 10 hip extensions, front, side and circle.

I feel like jelly.

Saber2

This felt really good minus the GHR/Natural Leg Curls due to pain in the knee.

3 rounds of:

10 Weighted killers (50lb vest x1, 45lb Sandbag x2sets)

5 GHR x1, Leg Curls x2

5 Tempo Body levers

Rest 4 min between rounds

Finisher with 3x10 hip extensions (Front, Side, and Circles)

Overall good workout. I enjoyed the killers, I would like to get quicker at them to help improve speed. GHR and the leg curls really hurts my knee. This is the same knee that has been causing problems that I injured during soccer. I have a large range of motion now with it and doesn't really bother me during many activities. However the pain is on the inside of the knee and If I had to suggest how it feels I would guess a bruised bone, because there is not much meat where it hurts. So I guess when it comes to the GHR I am going to have to go light. Again the pain mostly comes with resistance against the Hamstring muscles and the occassional deep squat. Front curls on the other hand don't seem to bother it.

Josh Schmitter

This was a pretty good one. Did

3x10 killers holding small cinder block in front/supersetted with pull up top position holds of 20s

The pull holds felt so good I banged out a set of 5 after the 3 iso holds :).

3x5ish Tempo GHR...I really need to get the video camera out here because I think I am having trouble keeping my legs static and just moving at the waist. I feel like when I bend I'm also going lower as in a NLC as well.

3x5ish Body Levers...I experimented a lot with these as far as tucking and adv. tuck position. I still have a hard time getting the movement and a video of myself might greatly help this as well. These killed my back and arms.

Supersetted static dip holds at 90 and bottom.

Finished up the Hip Extentions at the hospital as my wife is having a baby :).

Guest

Congratulations with the baby!! :D

I haven't done the last couple of WODs due to a bout of the flu but I hope to get back on track tomorrow! Especially with the prospect of a GB European Seminar in the works, can't afford to slack ;)