The Quad Blaster

Started by rubadub, August 5, 2010 · 6 Replies · 4,225 Views

rubadub

CbhOySHmPsg

Should be easy to make it with some adjustable webbing straps like for rings and some pipe with a towel or pipe insulation on it. Holes could be cut in the wood and webbing looped through them for the feet straps.

More info here http://www.carlosdejesustotalfitness.co ... aster.html

Joshua Naterman

Look! A new way to become quad-dependant. Too bad that in the real world you want to be glute-ham dependant lol!

It's a cool device. Seems like a decent way for bodybuilders to build up their quads, but there's no reason for an athlete to ever use this, I don't think. MAYBE kickers, sparingly, but then most of the kicking power comes from the hips and core, not the quads.

rubadub
slizzardman said:
but there's no reason for an athlete to ever use this, I don't think.
If you only did BW training what would you recommend, i.e. if you were doing ham-glute raises would this be beneficial or would quads be worked enough with the HG raises or some other exercise. If you were building a ham-glute raise device it would be quite easy to have this device incorporated into the same unit.
Joshua Naterman

Yea, maybe. You'd want to extend the board back a few feet and re-inforce it. That way you could do full layout quad extensions. But then, you're something of a fool if you're a competitive athlete AND you refuse to work with weights AT ALL. They have their place.

You'd be better off making something a glute-ham/BW leg extention attachment for parallel bars. Just as easy and much more versatile and effective, at least I think it would be. I'll have to play with this temporarily to really feel what the deal is.

Shaf

I know a number of olympic lifters, strongman competitors and highland games throwers whom have found that years of working their posterior chain has made their quads weak and given them nagging knee pain. Many of them are successfully reversing this trend with isolated quad work, in many cases, the often maligned and neglected leg extension.

It seems to be a major issue, though, with those primarily concerned with appearance over performance, and ignorant of the proper programming and balancing of their physical capabilities.

Joshua Naterman

I wasn't aware there was any particular population that suffered from an imbalance of that nature, that's good to know!

Obviously, if there is an imbalance that should be handled, and this would certainly be an interesting way to do so! Sprinters have been known to tear quads, after all, due to overpowering hams and glutes, but even that is pretty rare from what I understand.

I would have thought that all the squatting would have kept the quads strong enough to balance the posterior chain. Crazy.

Razz

Yeah posterior chain dominant people do exist :P although quad dependent may be more 'normal'...wow this was a useless post :lol: