Question about T.U.T.

Started by Enchiridion, August 3, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,216 Views

Enchiridion

I just had this question about TUT...I have a good idea of what it is and all but, when they say that you should take e.g. 40 seconds in each set or 1 set, does that include the time you are at the bottom or the top of the exercise, i.e., "doing nothing" or resting? Or is time counted only when you are moving?

I ask because I don't know how that is. I could take more time at the bottom of the e.g. chin-up rather than going up, moving.

Joshua Naterman

IT is the time the muscle is under constant tension. So, if you're doing plyometric push ups, the time you are in the air going up or going down does not count, because the muscles are not under tension. If you are pushing up so fast on a push up that momentum takes over, or you drop so fast that momentum takes over, that time doesn't count. This is why you can do so many more push ups when you bang them out as fast as you can. There is a lot of 'dead time' where your muscles are expending little or no energy.

Enchiridion
slizzardman said:
IT is the time the muscle is under constant tension. So, if you're doing plyometric push ups, the time you are in the air going up or going down does not count, because the muscles are not under tension. If you are pushing up so fast on a push up that momentum takes over, or you drop so fast that momentum takes over, that time doesn't count. This is why you can do so many more push ups when you bang them out as fast as you can. There is a lot of 'dead time' where your muscles are expending little or no energy.

Ok. So "dead time" doesn't count then.