I have been practising head springs, but when I do it with low forward momentum going with it seems much faster and smoother to not really touch the head on the mat. Is this acceptable? When I try it from a standstill, in a headstand, I can sometimes make it, sometimes not. I have not found much reference material anywhere on this skill, yet it is listed as a progression to the handspring, following a neckspring (kip up). Other sources show it after. Any advice on this skill?
Head springs and head on the mat
Started by Ryan Libke, July 27, 2010 · 2 Replies · 3,866 Views
Wolf with one Ear said:I have been practising head springs, but when I do it with low forward momentum going with it seems much faster and smoother to not really touch the head on the mat. Is this acceptable? When I try it from a standstill, in a headstand, I can sometimes make it, sometimes not. I have not found much reference material anywhere on this skill, yet it is listed as a progression to the handspring, following a neckspring (kip up). Other sources show it after. Any advice on this skill?
When you say head spring, I don't think you're talking about a true front head spring, which doesn't use the hands at all. I think you're probably talking about a kip up from a forward roll. You probably need to stall right before the "spring" part, if you don't stall you'll probably end up missing your head and doing all the work with your arms which sounds like what's happening to you.
Maybe this video will help you:
A5VdJumA9jk
Kip up and front hand spring compliment each other, so neither is really a prerequisite to the other.
When I taught a front headspring (with hands) for the compulsory L5 a few years ago, I don't think I ever saw one competed where the top of the head would actually touch the floor. Years ago, they used to do a headspring on the vault though I'm not sure if they touched the head as well.
Front headspring and kip up and neckspring (very similar or the same to floor kip up) can all be taught around the same time. I prefer gymnasts to be able to go from a headstand to bridge as a prerequisite. Before that is headstand to handstand like Ido does ("Gatherings").