This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100722

Started by Coach Sommer, July 22, 2010 · 15 Replies · 2,724 Views

Coach Sommer

Complete 3 rounds of the following:

5 Weighted Deck Squats

6 Single Leg Arch-ups (each leg)

20m sled/tire sprint

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) Perform today's workout as 3 giant sets. This means perform a set of the weighted deck squats, rest approx 30 sec, perform two sets of the single leg arch-ups (the second leg immediately after the first), rest approx 30 sec and then the sled sprint. These three movements performed in sequence constitute one giant set. Rest 3-5 minutes between giant sets.

2) Perform the weighted deck squats by holding the weight out in front of you during the entire movement. The plate should vary in weight from 25-45lbs. Use the same weight for all three sets.

3) Add weight as necessary to make the single leg arch-ups challenging for the 6 reps.

4) Weight the sled sprints so that they are very challenging; but not so heavy that you are reduced to walking.

5) If you do not have access to a tire or sled for sprints, then possible sled/tire substitutions include: perform the sprints with a weight vest, drag a kettlebell on the ground behind you while sprinting or have a partner pulling backward on you during the sprint with a long strap.

6) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

Erik Sjolin

The only piece of equipment my gym has for the single leg archups is a Roman Chair, angled about fourty degrees from the floor. Would this work?

Usually I just wrap my legs around a bench with a weighted barbell locked onto the other side for these variations (not much for ROM and kinda precarious at times, but it works...sort of), but that doesn't seem to be an option in this case.

Kenneth Manning

Felt like a great workout today.

First, thank you Blairbob for the deck squat video you posted on the july 9th WOD. By beginning in a candlestick I was really able to get the feel for the movement. I did the workout performing 5 reps of BW candlestick deck squats, and when I finished, I did 3 sets of regular deck squats with a 25 lb plate held out in front of me. Felt fantastic. Also, the hip extensions, for whatever reason, felt much better today vs the last time we performed them. Though by the 3rd set (circles), I was beginning to cramp up...

Today's WOD

A1) candlestick deck squats BW x 5,5,5

A2) single leg arch ups (had to "rig" something up here, made it a bit awkward) BW x 6,6,6/leg

A3) (no sled/no partner/no strap) 55 lb DB swings x 20, 20, 20

B) Hip extensions 3 x 10 (tough!)

C) regular deck squats 25 lbs x 5, 5, 5

Saber2

This was an enjoyable workout, considering I missed the beginning of the week due to an injury in my knee from a tackle in soccer. The pain seems to occur in the side to side movement of the knee now, where Monday I was not comfortable bending the knee which is where I am currently at strength wise for the gymnastic holds.. So I have been doing leg rehab for a majority of the week. Last night I played soccer again (no injuries, thank God :D) I figure today I would be good to go for doing some WOD's again.

The Deck Squats felt great, started 1st round with medball, next 2 rounds used 40lb sandbag.

Single Leg Archups were changed to single leg curls. I put one foot on the stair and arched up. I did these in a 313 tempo.

20m Sprints were Band Runs for me. I anchored my self down and used a speed harness. I am sure what I was doing was far from sprints but it did aggrevate the knee a little bit.

Hip Extensions: front, side, and rotations

I did everything as a giant round. Next time when there are no injuries I might attempt Assisted Single Leg GHR and Deck Squats with 80lb Sandbag. Great workout, and probably just what I needed for rehab.

Guest

I'm a bit ambiguous about today's WOD because I don't really have the equipment to make it all work. I performed three rounds of the following:

5 Weighted Deck Squats (with a 14 kg dumbell, which wasn't nearly enough weight to make it hard - I should probably get some kettlebells anyway)

6 Single leg Arch-ups (each leg) from lying prone on the floor with my foot under a couch - in other words, with severely limited ROM. I'm going to get a removable door pull-up bar which I can mount at different heights and do these on a box from now on.

Zero tire/sled sprints :( as I have no possible means of replicating this at all... I'll have to think hard about this one for next time!

Finished off with 3x10 Hip Extensions at waist height.

Re: the hip extensions... does the 10 stand for seconds (i.e. one 10s hold) or for 10 tempo reps (i.e. 10 reps lifting - extending - retracting at a certain tempo)? I couldn't really discern that from the essay.

Cole Dano

If you have a hill or stairs then running up them could be a decent sub.

Today was one of the few where massive downgrading wasn't req'd-

4 rounds:

1) Kettlebell Deck Squats- 4/8/12/16kg (took easy first time with weights) (One thing very that's very important with these, if you don't already know. NEVER pick up the bell with one hand while lying on your back. Always roll over and use BOTH hands.)

1) Single leg arch up with Pelvic Swing. (I have a series of eye bolts in the wall for use with bands, belts, dowels etc, works well and inexpensive.) (The pelvic swing is an awesome tool used mostly in yoga therapeutics, but also great for doing arch ups)

2) 5 Band runs. Using two bands hooked in the eyebolts, and a dowel between them to push against. My room was just long enough to match the resistance of my heavier bands.)

Guest

I might give running up the stairs of our five-story building a try. Great suggestion! I was looking for something in-house but for this specific workout it doesn't matter if it takes me outside for a couple of minutes, since I can rest in between giant sets while walking back to our apartment.

Josh Schmitter

Missed the last couple of WODs due to playing laser tag from 6pm-12am on Monday night. Yes, I know what you're thinking...and yes....it was awesome.

I agree with most others that this one felt really good.

Used a 2 gallon paint container(about 20lbs) for the deck squats as it was the only thing that I could find with some weight that wasn't huge. Going to have to find some nice rocks at my second workout site as I'm not going to be home for workouts for a while.

The arch ups were rough, but good. I struggle with regular tempo archups so, this not only killed my legs, but also my back. Had to put my arms down at my sides toward the end. These were in no way tempo, though I tried to hold for a one count at the top and slowly lower.

I replaced the sled sprint with about 30s hill sprints. I have to stash my backpack sled in the car.

The Hip ext. were still very hard. I enjoyed killing myself with them though :). Had to rest after 5 for the last few sets.

Saber2

What are you guys using for the archups if you are doing these at home? I am not sure what to use or how to make a substitute device.

Cole Dano
Saber2 said:
What are you guys using for the archups if you are doing these at home? I am not sure what to use or how to make a substitute device.

You could take about 3 meters of nylon webbing and make a pelvic swing. You can roll the ends and sew them, then if you put the ends over the top of a door and close it you will have something that will work. Put a towel on the strap to make it more comfortable.

The picture below is of a fancier system, but what i describe above will do just fine. This is what i've been using to do arch ups for years and it works fine, even one footed.

Yoga+Wall+stretch.jpg

Josh Schmitter

that nylon webbing idea seems killer. Saber2, right now I just use a small dresser with a nylon strap around it. You can use a table, bed...anything high enough so you can bend 90 deg. Or even something less if it's your only option. I've also heard using a doorway pullup bar(the one that goes in between the door frame and tightens) set about waist high, then just finding a box or something to lay on...but again, if you have the box, a strap is easiest for me.

p.s. I also use this for body levers, GHR, NLC, etc. I used slizzardman's idea and made it even more bootleg by just getting a thick board about 2ftx5ft and putting a strap around it. His is much better though...check out his youtube page(most info) or in the equipment section here.

Neal Winkler

I use a homemade plyo box, with a old 40lbs. heavy bag laid on top. I then stick my feet in my homemade stall bars.

The heavy bag acts like a pad (its full of foam and is pretty soft).

Basically, this unit acts as a homemade GHR.

delux-GHR-400.jpg

Just imagine that the foot placement is my stall bars. The pad is my heavy bag. Underneath that would be the plyo box.

Incredibly useful!

Guest

Yes, and like I said: I'm going to get a door pull-up bar that doesn't require screws so I can easily place it at different heights and use that to secure my feet while kneeling on a box. This should also allow me to do body levers at home.

Julekman

Good and simple solution is with pull up bar (put it lower between door frame), and lay down on swiss ball or something similiar, change the height till you satisfied. The same method with or without swiss ball, etc, is for leg curls, GHR, bodylevers ...

Joshua Naterman

Hahaha! You guys are so sophisticated!!!

My set up for single leg arch ups was really, really low-tech lol! I put my homemade body lever/NLC/GHR device, which is a plywood board with two foot anchors, outside on the retaining wall. Then I took my barbell and put 135 lbs between the foot anchors so that the board wouldn't flip up and plant my face in the street! Then it was time for arch ups!

My WOD:

3 rounds:

40lb weighted vest deck squats. I quickly discovered that A) I think Coach is secretly laughing at us bigger folk(just a friendly joke!)! I couldn't even roll onto my butt when the weight was split between front and back of the vest!!!!! :lol: ! I looked like a complete idiot! That leads to B), which is that my center of gravity is really, really far behind my feet with a weight vest! I put all 40 lbs on the front and it was cool, I could do it! VERY easy though. Next time I'll start having 20-30 lbs in my hands as well.

6x per leg single leg arch ups. I thought these would be harder. the 6th rep was challenging, but to be honest I didn't know if I could do them until I tried.

40m Uphill sprints! I TOTALLY FORGOT MY SLED!!!! Crap! I have a big tire at my girlfriend's house and 12 feet of heavy duty chain to attach it to a soft velcro weightlifting belt which I use to anchor the tire to my hips for pulling sled sprints. I'll make a Prowler somewhere down the line for pushing sprints. My body is still not used to sprinting! No surprise there, though.

Alvaro

I'm still with my knee not fully recovered so I didn't perform the sprints but I did 3 rounds of this:

-deck squats with 10 kilos plate grabed at my front( first time with weight I feel I can do it with more but only like 15 kilos)

-one leg RLL harder than it seems but not impossible

-10 leg arch ups

I have to finda way to practice the sled sprints inside a standard gym. I'll weld my own sled in some months from now