First off I know I have a post right beneath this and I hope thats not a problem as it was an equipment question.... anyway
I have seen some stuff about the isometrics and the time under contraction idea as well. I read Coach Sommers beginning article a little bit ago which is what got me to this forum in the first place.
My question is are static holds on a pull up bar, I.E. holding yourself at the top for a period of time much superior to working on pull up reps themselves? Or is it that you really need to do both because both work different muscle ranges/tissues etc?
Same question with a squat vs. a wall-sit for example
and the same question with a push-up vs, holding the position midway or maybe even holding a handstand.... I've read elsewhere that isometrics only train a limited range of motion but if im not mistaken Coach Sommer would disagree and if I am remembering correctly he had an athlete of his who didn't really do pull ups just randomly bust out some 18 or more reps without it even bothering him one time....
The entire reason im asking this is because if its a waste of time for me to train one or the other id rather not waste the time, and im talking about basic push ups not the planche/pike etc.... until I get a hold of the book ill be training without it so trying to figure out an effective and efficient set of exercises to use.