This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100720

Started by Coach Sommer, July 20, 2010 · 13 Replies · 2,013 Views

Coach Sommer

vTIfss5oF8w

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5 Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch

10 FL Pulls

15’ Cirque

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch. Perform these by performing a hopping pull-up and leg lift simultaneously. At the top of the movement when exploding upward, reach over the bar to touch the toes at the top of the leg lift.

4) If the Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch are too challenging, substitute Clapping Pull-ups.

5) Move immediately from the Hopping Pull-ups with Toe Touch to the FL Pulls.

6) Move immediately from the FL Pulls to the Cirques. If you do not have a rope, substitute 10 Towel Pull-ups for the Cirque.

7) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Julekman

I cant imagine what the hopping pull ups with toe touch is ? :? If someone have more detailed explanation for this exercises, then please turn the lights on :) !

David Picó García

I haven't tried yet but you have to explosively pull up (like a clapping pull up) and with your hands over the bar touch the toes that are coming from under (like if you were in a L pull up)

Mats Trane

Sounds VERY interesting

Julekman
serotonin

I haven't tried yet but you have to explosively pull up (like a clapping pull up) and with your hands over the bar touch the toes that are coming from under (like if you were in a L pull up)

I agree, sounds very interesting, I havent tried also, I presume that we need good flexibility and explosive strenght in core for that, but also technical aspect of the exercise need to be establish with some easy modification of that.

There is something similiar with pushup version

, but pull up version is harder
Alvaro

Sounds very very very down scalable :D !

Joshua Naterman

If you can't do the toe touch, touch whatever part of your legs you can. If you can't touch your legs, just do clapping pull ups. If you can't do clapping pull ups, pull as hard as you can so you can lift your hands above the bar for a second at the top. If you can't pull that hard, do the fastest pull that you can with good form on pull ups!

Dynamic strength gets built just like all the other types: slowly lol! Master one step before you move to the next!

Erik Sjolin

For the "cirque" (in my case it would be the towel pull) should I use a staggered grip and just switch my hands at the top of every rep?

Guest

Hahaha, this WOD was INSANE (for me at least). A definite reminder of my inferior pulling abilities (or rather, work capacity). This goes to show that a number of years of capoeira is good for bodyweight core, leg and pushing strength but that additional pulling work is a necessity. I am able to do 3x5 L-pullups with several minutes rest in between but the supersets in this WOD literally fried my arms.

I scaled down as follows:

Three rounds of:

60s fast ginga (basic capoeira movement)

5 explosive pullups

5 FL pulls (half/tuck)

5 towel pull-ups

I even had to jump into the towel pull-ups in rounds two and three. I then descended in a slow negative. Grip was no problem, but my biceps were.... ouch!@

Kenneth Manning

I also really need to increase my work capacity. My first round felt great, but arms started petering out from there on. My scaled WOD for today:

A1) 60 sec shuttle run x 4

A2) clapping pullups x 5,5,5 last set was 5 pull release and catch with barely a clap (more like hands just touching each other)

A3) Advanced tuck FL pulls x 10,(7+3),(4+3+2+1),(4+3+2+1)

A4) rope pullups (used triceps extension rope draped over my chinning bar) x (7+3),(4+3+3),(4+3+2+1),(4+3+3)

Very tough workout today. Like I said, my first round felt strong and then my biceps died on me throughout the latter rounds.

Alvaro

Today I´m very happy as I improved a lot from last dynamic pull day!

4x:

-1 min rope skipping

-3x Hopping pull ups with separation of hands at the end (like 1/4 of clapping). More solid and more jump here!.

-3 Fl Pulls (tuck) at the rings(is easier for me than the bar) Last time I couldn´t perform this after the pull ups.

-15´ Cirque with feet grip to help up and down (which was slow for negative work).Easier also this time, the negatives are much more controlled!:

I was tired at the end but could finish all the WOD and I´m not fried now . GREAT! :D

Joshua Naterman

This was tough! I listened to my body and didn't try to push too hard, but I was still plenty fried. Great workout!

4x5 clapping pull ups. I did L clapping pull ups for my last set just to try, and these aren't bad. My power isn't very good, but that's exactly what I expect... I haven't done anything like this in a looooong time.

FL Pulls: I am embarrassed to say that I didn't get 10 reps on any set, AND the sets were all flat tuck. I was doing these full lay a while back, with some weight on my ankles. I am humbled lol! 9,7,5,4.

Towel pull ups: Again, mega weak. 5+2, 5+1, 5, 4.

I'm just glad I can trust my body enough to do this workout!

I need to eat more now that I'm back into the swing of things... bye bye moneys!

Edit: I did the shuttle runs in the local church parking lot, using every other parking space as a marker. They happen to have a convenient pull up bar too! It was quite fortunate.

robotstrong

Wow, what a humbling workout. Haven't done power work so it's nothing to write home about.

Clapping Pull Ups, No Leg Lift: 4X5

Front Lever Pulls, Tuck: 10, 8, 7, 7

15' Rope Climb, then 10', 10', 10'

6 X 50 meter hill sprints

Lats fried. This pulling circuit really wiped out my lat strength by the 4th round.

Cole Dano

Week three of what i hope to be a long term cycle of following the WOD's

I don't have any illusions about these pull oriented work outs. 25 years of yoga with almost no pulling means start happily from the bottom.

My set up doesn't allow me to have the rope and pull up bar at the same time. So i split the super sets.

4 cycles:

1minute KB swing, 2hand 30sec one hand 15sec/hand

Rope Hang-

Since this was my first time using the rope since PE class over 30 years ago, no expectations. Hanging there was already a challenge, i did eventually manage one one over the other. Still even that felt positive.

4 cycles:

1minute KB swing, 2hand 30sec one hand 15sec/hand

I did jump assisted clapping pull ups

Worked on pullovers after two sets got the knees over the bar but couldn't get over to support yet.