Haven't bought book yet, have questions

Started by shalak1989, July 16, 2010 · 4 Replies · 2,386 Views

shalak1989

I stumbled across Coach Sommer's article, I think it is titled here the article that started it all, awhile ago and it intrigued me. I was considering doing pavel's greasing the groove method on push-ups,pull-ups, and squats (all bodyweight), plus doing running for strength/cardio/conditioning. After GtG had gotten me to a certain point I would back off of GtG and start training in sets etc partly due to not wanting to do push-ups throughout the day 5 days a week for the rest of my life.

Anyway, my goal is to build strength and muscle however I am not looking for a body-builder physique. I am interested in pure functionality much more than aesthetics.

I have an Iron Gym Door Pull-up bar that I can some of the exercises on that are in the gymnastic bodies program but I would like to avoid ring work mostly due to the idea of convenience. I understand that I am foregoing potential strength gains here but I am not shooting for gymnastic excellence either. My biggest concern again is functionality but also with a practical time table.

So I was wondering if it was possible for me to get much better results from the gymnastic bodies program using just my body/floor/walls/pull up bar as my tools than I would get by simply doing a GtG to set progression?

Blairbob

Haven't ever done GTG by itself. However, there would be a lot more variety even without the rings.

Cole Dano

The GtG work can be a nice foundation for the work found in the book.

There's allot in there, but you don't have to do it all, and it can be layered on top of what you already do as well.

If you are looking to progress there isn't a better system than this and you will find tons of info and support right here on the forum.

The Gymnastics Bodies program does take some amount of mental effort as well to learn as its not a cookie cutter program at all. But if you are moderately creative you can find ways to do pretty much everything with common household objects and a pull up bar at first. Maybe latter if you get into the rings would be nice.

Start by just playing with the WOD's, all the info about them is either in the book or here on the forum. Remember don't be ashamed to SCALE everything down at first, i.e. doing easier versions of the exercises for the Rx'd number of reps. Progressions for the exercises are delineated in the book.

shalak1989

ok thanks for the info

whitemonkey

Get the book. Even without the rings there is a lot that you can do and benefit from.