This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100715

Started by Coach Sommer, July 15, 2010 · 13 Replies · 1,841 Views

Coach Sommer

8oiXVBXUMG4

Complete four rounds of:

60 sec Shuttle Run

5+ Kipping HeSPUs/Gatherings Advanced

10 Swinging Dips

40’

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Kipping HeSPUs. Please note that Ido refers to these as Advanced Gatherings.

4) After the Kipping HeSPUs move immediately to the Swinging Dips.

5) After the Swinging Dips move immediately to the Ag Walks.

6) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

7) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement.

Cole Dano

In a much earlier post Coach is quoted saying

...agricultural or "ag" walks. Picture seal walks across the floor done in four different positions and with a flat back and extended chest. If time permits today, I will film agricultural walks and post a video.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=555&p=1670&hilit=ag+walks#p1670

However the posted video shows only 'the most difficult variation'

1) is there an ag walk progression?

2) What are the other 3 positions (i guess 1 is stomach face down?)

3)Do we do all 4 positions in the WOD?

In any case in the limited space i have its hard to really get going, but this is a fantastic workout! I will definitely get some of my ladies doing the ag walk shown.

Due to limited space, i did KB swings in place of Shuttle Runs, and as this was my first attempt at any kind of support swing i just did support swings on a couple of high backed chairs weighted with kettlebells. Even that was entertaining and i'm sure would have made many here laugh as well.

Erik Sjolin

What's a scaled down version of the swinging dips? The only thing I could do them on is a dip station, and it's shaky enough as it is.

Neal Winkler
Mr Brady said:
In a much earlier post Coach is quoted saying
...agricultural or "ag" walks. Picture seal walks across the floor done in four different positions and with a flat back and extended chest. If time permits today, I will film agricultural walks and post a video.

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=555&p=1670&hilit=ag+walks#p1670

However the posted video shows only 'the most difficult variation'

1) is there an ag walk progression?

I've seen Coach refer to planks as a substitute for ag walks. If I had to guess, I seems crab walks might also be a good sub.

Alvaro

I performed today this:

4X

-60 secs Kb swings

-5 HeSPU (Kipping are out of reach yet)

-10 swinging dips in a dip station, all in a row (first time I achieve this!) with limited rom (30-40 degrees)

-40´ agwalk . I have to find something that slides properly as I had to use a paper to be able to slide.

2x 10 wrist pushups

Steen Millinder

I only have XR, anything I can substitute swinging dips with? I can't do them balance wise...

no room for shuttle runs, can I do jumps if I jump as high as I can instead?

Alvaro

You can perform swinging dips with the XR only they will be harder and the swing smaller than in a parallel bar (dip station). Not that I have tried but I think Coach posted it some weeks ago. For increasing heart rate try Kettle-bell swings (I tried today for first time) they are hard and your HR will skyrocket! :D

Saber2

Four rounds

1 Min Jump Roping. (I could not run three days in a row)

5 HeSPU (Horrible Form)

10 Ring Dips

40' Ag Walks

2x10 Wrist Pushups

My shoulders were killing me, I feel I am regressing in my shoulders. All in all not a bad workout. The last set I started to attempt the swinging dips. They were feeling a little more comfortable. I really wish I had some parallel bars, but I bet my gains will be better through the rings.

Neal Winkler

WHEW! I'm dripping with sweat!

I can almost do this as RX'd but I don't have parallel bars so I did ring swings instead.

Josh Schmitter

I hear that x2 triangle.

Did 4 rounds

1 min shuttle run(although by the end of the second one it was more like shuttle jogs...legs burning)

5 pike push ups, 5 HeS straddle presses almost to floor

15s XR support hold(tried even partial dips here and they felt like 'no way today' so just switched to the hold)

40' Ag walk.

I was feeling not too good going into this...bad allergies which is suppressing my appetite amongst other things, and I don't think I fully recovered from the rough leg day on MON and HS wall runs on TUES. I just felt completely drained, but pushed on through.

Couple of things.

1) I still am not sure about HeS presses as pertaining to leaning the back/weight more onto the head as you descend with the legs. If I try to keep my back completely perpendicular to the ground while going down, it's just too much for my arms. I'm just wondering if leaning back is the RX'd way to do it anyway as it looks that way in BtGB in the HeS RLL depiction.

2) The Ag walks were killer, I tried a large rubbermaid container lid in my backyard on grass. It is a slight decline and I was still struggling having to push it. The frisbee idea sounded good, but for grass I think these might work best

http://www.amazon.com/Simtec-Fun-Slides ... B000MN8DT0 Unfortunately I gave mine away to someone who used them more a while back, but I would think these would work killer and they are pretty cheap as well...But anything beats a paper bag omegant :)

robotstrong

Feeling a little spent. Cut volume by 25% and only did 3 rounds. Should have cut it by 50% though.

The technique for the Gatherings is weird at first, but once you get the hang of it it really makes the HeSPU's easier. I found that if I start pressing when the legs are at about 45 degrees it works best.

Kenneth Manning

Today's WOD:

4 rounds

60 second stationary bike (raining outside) - definitely achieved >170 bpm

HeSPU, head lowered to 4 inch block (partials) x 5

Swinging dips x 10 - all sets unbroken, felt much better than last time

AG walk 40' - socks on rubber weightlifting mats don't slide very well, so sort of an awkward looking crab walk where I tried to keep my chest up and legs as straight as possible. Need to find something to assist in the sliding of the feet.

Solid workout.

Saber2
TANSTAAFL said:
Couple of things.

1) I still am not sure about HeS presses as pertaining to leaning the back/weight more onto the head as you descend with the legs. If I try to keep my back completely perpendicular to the ground while going down, it's just too much for my arms. I'm just wondering if leaning back is the RX'd way to do it anyway as it looks that way in BtGB in the HeS RLL depiction.

2) The Ag walks were killer, I tried a large rubbermaid container lid in my backyard on grass. It is a slight decline and I was still struggling having to push it. The frisbee idea sounded good, but for grass I think these might work best

http://www.amazon.com/Simtec-Fun-Slides ... B000MN8DT0 Unfortunately I gave mine away to someone who used them more a while back, but I would think these would work killer and they are pretty cheap as well...But anything beats a paper bag omegant :)

First those carpet sliders would seem to be awesome for this.

Second for the HeS presses, I am no expert so take this with a grain of salt, but I figure I might try to help. I think you have to put more weight on the head for a couple of reasons one. It will act as a counter weight and third point of contact when you bring the legs down. I know if I did not put the weigth there I would fall or some how go into a planche (since I can't do that yet, I would just fall). I am not sure if this is exact reason behind the methodology, but it is something I feel when performing them. I hope this helps, and please for anybody who does know the reason please tell us.

Josh Schmitter

Thanks saber...ya, if I don't lean back, I can barely make it 1/2 way down and my arms are spent in no time. I guess I'm also just curious to if, when strong enough, you should be able to do this with a straight, perpendicular back, or if the physics will just not allow it physically. guess I'll have to wait 20 years til' I'm strong enough to test it out :)