This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100705

Started by Coach Sommer, July 5, 2010 · 14 Replies · 1,689 Views

Coach Sommer

pwCv1Yjb8MI

Complete four rounds:

60 sec Shuttle Run

3 – Front Pulls

5 – TOPs Pulls

10 – FL Pulls

notes:

1) The Shuttle Run should be performed with an all out effort. The primary focus of the Shuttle Run is to elevate the heart rate over 170 BPM.

2) Perform your shuttle runs in the following fashion; sprint out 5yds & return, sprint out 10 yds & return, sprint out 15 yds & return. Continue in this fashion non-stop for 60 seconds.

3) Move immediately from the Shuttle Runs to the Front Pulls.

4) Move immediately from the Front Pulls to the TOPs Pulls.

5) Move immediately from the TOPs Pulls to the FL Pulls.

6) You may rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

Julekman

I understand what the FL pulls is, but what is then front pulls ? Is it a front lever rows or not ?

Thank you

Rafael David
Julekman

Excellent, now it `s clear. Thank you !

Coach Sommer
Mikael said:

Nearly correct. The Front Pulls should not end in a front lever, but should continue on to an inverted hang.

Lekman said:
I understand what the FL pulls is, but what is then front pulls ? Is it a front lever rows or not?

All of these movement are detailed in BtGB.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alvaro

Today I didnt have access to internet so yesterday I tried to advance what Wod will be next for today looking back 3 weeks ago.

I failed and ended doing push day with this:

4x

10' Lsit agwalk

5 elevated feet HeSPU

5 dips at the running mill(the only thing I had to do them)

5 jumping pushups

all this was a bit better than last time, more solid over all.

I hope I didnt screw the wods too badly. Tomorrow I'll perform today's WOD ( If I can find a place to hang myself which is increasingly dificult in hotel gyms :(. )

Kenneth Manning

Haven't run in a while so for each round I did a 400 m run (keeping all under 1 min 25 sec).

Front pulls

Straddle x 3, advanced tuck x 3, 3, 3 (some slight arm bend)

TOP pulls advanced tuck x 5, 5, 5, 5

Front lever pulls advanced tuck x 7, (6+2+2), (4+2+2), (3+2+2)

Really worked hard on FL pulls to maintain straight arms throughout the rom, getting my chin over the bar from set to set got really tough... workouts like this make me feel like I'm doing crossfit again!!

Josh Schmitter

Looking for a little advice here. I attempted this WOD and right off the bat realized that even the easiest versions of these exercises I would not be able to keep up for 4 rounds, barely making it through some the 1st set. Granted I was out late last night and I'm not my freshest, but my concern is: should I just focus more on basic pulling/pushing strength until I can do 5 pulls with consistency(can only do sets of 3 now, without the 3-1-2 count). Pushing is slightly better, but still struggle with 3x5 pike pushups(feet on the ground). I'm just thinking is a more basic steady routine would be better for me for a while, or just subbing in basic pull ups paired with tuck FL static holds for WOD's like today? I know I won't be getting the benefit of the WOD, but i'm not sure I can get that benefit at this point in my strength levels. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

-josh-

Alvaro

Try the slowest posible negative from inverted hang to FL to Lsit hang

Neal Winkler
TANSTAAFL said:
Looking for a little advice here. I attempted this WOD and right off the bat realized that even the easiest versions of these exercises I would not be able to keep up for 4 rounds, barely making it through some the 1st set. Granted I was out late last night and I'm not my freshest, but my concern is: should I just focus more on basic pulling/pushing strength until I can do 5 pulls with consistency(can only do sets of 3 now, without the 3-1-2 count). Pushing is slightly better, but still struggle with 3x5 pike pushups(feet on the ground). I'm just thinking is a more basic steady routine would be better for me for a while, or just subbing in basic pull ups paired with tuck FL static holds for WOD's like today? I know I won't be getting the benefit of the WOD, but i'm not sure I can get that benefit at this point in my strength levels. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

-josh-

For this WOD, you can substitute rows and pullups for FL rows and TOPs pulls. Anytime even the easiest multi-planar movements are too hard, you can substitute regular pullups and rows. Also, you did not mention you tried this, but FL pulls and front pulls can be done in tuck, advanced tuck, straddle, or half lay in addition to the full lay position. Plus, you can use easier variations in the same family.

Erik Sjolin

Holy crud on a stick, this was yet another great wake-up call.

I could only manage a quick run through the shuttles, and had to do the easiest variations of each exercise (yet done on their own with a bit of rest, I can do much harder ones. Go figure). Even then, I couldn't make it through all ten of the FL pulls.

Ah well, gimme a year and I'll show these work-outs who's boss...it'll still be them, I know.

Alexander Moreen

Besides starting position, what is the difference between a tops pull and a front pull? They both have you pull and lower through a front lever position.

Alvaro

I did today ( tuesday) this WOD and planing to do tomorrow the WOD for today ( what a mess) I'll skip rest day this week as my leg days are going to be soft due to my knee rehab.

For this wod wich was pretty hard last time I tried today this:

4 X:

-60 secs eliptic machine sprint.

-3 negative lowering from inverted hang to tuck front lever down to normal hang

-5 body rows

-10 negative chins ( divided in 2 x5 with 20 sec rest)

really really hard on the last part but could maintain proper form for 90% of the workout as oposite of 30% from the last same one. I think I found the proper scaled down version for me. :D

Saber2

I am day late on performing this WOD because I didn't have my book to look up TOPs pulls and coach already responded about the variations being located in the book. I had to skip the shuttle runs because I hurt my toe on Sunday playing soccer, so I won't be running much this week. That annoys the hell out of me because I love my running.

For starters my form on everything was about garbage, but my back feels the work. Not sure if I should be happy or sad about that performance lol.

I thought the FL Pulls would have been easier since of all the exercises listed I was familiar with performing that one. These FL Pulls turned out to be the toughest part of the workout for me. Since I couldn't do the shuttle run I finished my workout with doing 2x2min of 30lb KB Swings to elevate the heart. I probably should have done that in the beginning where the shuttle run was placed but I didn't think of it until after I was done.

Coach Sommer
Saber2 said:
Since I couldn't do the shuttle run I finished my workout with doing 2x2min of 30lb KB Swings to elevate the heart. I probably should have done that in the beginning where the shuttle run was placed but I didn't think of it until after I was done.

Very good idea.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer