This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100702

Started by Coach Sommer, July 1, 2010 · 31 Replies · 3,520 Views

Richard Duelley

I subbed elbow lever :arrow: headstand :arrow: HeSPU for the PL Box Presses.

I did the pike box press as prescribed and then only made it through 5 box straddle presses. I had to listen to my wrists and forego the last 5 reps.

The XR handstands were torture by the end but in a good way :mrgreen: The first 3-4 were rings turned out and then the rings turned in a little more with each hold :wink:

Erik Sjolin

Well, now I'm kinda bummed out. I started doing the WODs in the last couple of days, and this last one made me realize just how weak I am (despite over a year of training by myself). I had to scale everything back, could only get three chest rolls with the HeSPU, and even though the HeS presses were easy (I have a feeling if I found a high enough box I could have done the HS presses), I didn't much like it.

As far as the cycles went...for the most part I did freestanding ones, since I was pretty much terrified of faceplanting onto my concrete driveway if I missed the straps or wasn't strong enough to hold it.

Just wondering if I'm right to feel bummed, or inspired to follow the WODs religiously to get stronger...also, I guess the SSC needs to be worked in so it's constantly getting harder, right?

Blairbob

I've been thinking about getting into a stomach to wall HS with socks on my feet and sliding my feet down as I planche my shoulders, perhaps even using a straddle. I will have to adjust my hands to the wall accordingly though.

For my guys, I just spot the planche presses and I spotted the pike and straddle presses as they were from L and straddle-L. It was a good opportunity to do so for some of my guys and then the rest just use the wall. I've gotten away from spotting as much as I have to for stuff they can do on their own correctly. This is a damned if I do, damned if I don't scenario that you can go any way on.

I'm feeling a little better right now so I may do the HS WOD on my own but I was dying when I was shift tonight. In fact, I noticed my hands twitching awhile ago and that means my CNS is fried right now (pretty sure I've been dehydrated as I have just been tired and out of sorts lately).

Saber2

7/3/2010

Today I performed WOD 7/2

Skipped PL Press and did all other presses to HeS

Attempted to do XR HS and now have serious rope burn on the back of knee lol. The rest went to Wall HS.

2x10 Wrist pushups on the wall. I feel this is good for me to build up my wrists.

Awesome workout. Ironically the Pike Presses were easier than the straddle IMO. I guess on here I am a mere mortal amongst gods :D these workouts are really challenging. I look forward to the day I am able to do these.

Erik,

Don't get bummed out unless it fuels you to drive on, there are several of us here who are trying to improve. Also remember these guys all started out in our shoes at one point too. Keep driving on with the training, and train within your means. Only you know if you can't do a certain move, these are just templates to help guide us on the path to success.

Jason Stein
Erik said:
This last one made me realize just how weak I am...

Erik,

Sometimes the WODs can be pretty humbling, but persistence and patience and a little intelligence go a long way.

My experience has been (not that I can rack 'em out easily all the time either) to find what variation you CAN do for the suggested reps, and then do that.

Even if you end up going too easy, it's better to do that than one perfect rep, two floundering reps, and then failing on three reps.

Some days it's a bigger slice of humble pie than you expected. But it's not the work you think you can do, or that you think you should be doing. Do the work that you CAN do and it'll pay off.

best,

jason

yuri marmerstein

The first WOD I tried. It was pretty rough; I did it after a hand balancing session.

I was able to do a couple straddle planche presses with decent form from a knee-high "box". After that my shoulders got tired and my form got sloppy

Pike presses I failed pretty bad at

Straddle presses I managed

Was able to keep the rings turned out on all 12 rounds of handstand, but I did not have a timer and most likely took longer than 45 seconds rest.

I'll probably start following these now, should get some benefit out of it.

Coach, approximately how long does it take to complete a cycle of WODs?

Coach Sommer
jasonmstein said:
My experience has been (not that I can rack 'em out easily all the time either) to find what variation you CAN do for the suggested reps, and then do that.

Exactly right.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer