This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100702

Started by Coach Sommer, July 1, 2010 · 31 Replies · 3,520 Views

Coach Sommer

Perform:

1x5 PL Box Press HS

1x5 Pike Box Press HS

1x10 Straddle Box Press HS

rest 3-5 minutes

12 cycles of XR Strap HS

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) Rest 1-2 minutes between Press HS sets.

2) You may substitute a Chest roll to HeS + press up to HS for the PL.

3) Remember to adjust the height as necessary during the Box Press HS variations to ensure that the presses are sufficiently challenging.

4) If you cannot press to HS, then press to HeS.

5) If you are strong enough, replace the Box Press HS variations with Press HS from an L-sit on parallets or PBs.

6) If you exceptionally strong, perform the Press HS variations on the XR.

7) Rest 3-5 minutes

8 ) Each XR Strap HS cycle consists of 30 work followed by 45 seconds of rest. Go directly from one cycle to the next with no additional rest.

9) DO NOT come down during the 30 seconds of XR Strap HS. If you do come down, that cycle does not count towards your total of 12 cycles.

10) To perform XR Strap HS drop your Xtreme Rings down to 6â€-8†from the ground. Now kick up into a handstand widely straddling your legs so that they wrap around the straps. Straighten and lock your arms as much as possible and begin timing your HS.

11) The XR Strap HS can be made much more physically demanding by placing your feet along the inside of the straps rather than wrapping your legs around the straps. The intensity can be further increased by ensuring that your elbows are completely locked and straight.

12) If XR Strap HSs are currently too demanding, perform Wall HS instead; although every effort should be made to complete the workout with XR Strap HS.

Dillon Castro

coach, are there supposed to be two w.o.d. today or is one a mistake?

MarineMotivatedMe

which one you want us to do? this WOD? or the one posted this morning? is this for tomorrow?

Jason Stein

Facepalm.

Alvaro

The number of the wod is the date on which is supposed to be done.

Josh Schmitter

Coach(or anyone that has an answer), i'm just clarifying the substitute press to HeS for those of us weaklings. Would this be the equivalent of a HeS RLL if doing them from the floor and not a box?

Cody Clark

How can I scale this down to my level I am not strong enough yet to do even a freestanding handstand. Also can't really do any of the other moves either I'm probable at a grandma strength with this type of strength. So what can I do. Thanks.

jpshepard

Hi Coach,

if anyone else can answer please do so. is the PL P2HS (press 2 handstand) like a Bower? how would you use the box for the planche portion of this workout? On another note, coach I have had my guys doing this program for the past 3 weeks and am getting great results. I have to scale things down and use bands for assistance on some movements, but the results are there! thanks so much. See you in September.

JP

Neal Winkler
jpshepard said:
Hi Coach,

if anyone else can answer please do so. is the PL P2HS (press 2 handstand) like a Bower? how would you use the box for the planche portion of this workout? On another note, coach I have had my guys doing this program for the past 3 weeks and am getting great results. I have to scale things down and use bands for assistance on some movements, but the results are there! thanks so much. See you in September.

JP

PL to HS means keeping the body straight with no pike in the hips.

So, with feet on a box and hips extended (like a feet elevated pushup), press to HS while keeping the hips extended.

jpshepard
trianglechoke7 said:

PL to HS means keeping the body straight with no pike in the hips.

So, with feet on a box and hips extended (like a feet elevated pushup), press to HS while keeping the hips extended.

Thanks! that makes so much more sense. I cant wait to do this workout!

Richard Duelley

I predict that this is going to be a brutal workout tomorrow! I think I am going to forgo my usual 1+ hour handstand session and just do a few holds, a small amount of airbaby work and some elbowlevers and then just hit this up ASAP. I need to work my presses more anyways.

MarineMotivatedMe

could someone explain the 12 cycles of XR strap Hs a little better for me?

Alvaro

Take the rings close to the ground and then perform a handstand on them for 30 sec rest 45 sec and again go up for 30 sec. Like that 10 times. :D

Nic Scheelings

I've been wondering should the planch press hs be done with straight arms or is it acceptable to bend them? I find it really hard to planche press with straight arms, bending is ok tho.

Saber2

Here is a noobish question can somebody please explain the differences between all these presses. This workout will destroy me lol but I am totally looking forward to giving it a shot. I think I get the straddle press not so sure about the PL or Pike though. This is gonna be so tough even when I scale it down lol!!! :D :cry: hahahaha

Thanks in advance

Josh Schmitter

Hey, I was a little confused as well, but I think I figured it out for the most part. So it would be just like doing a HS press from the floor, except you put your feet on a box to start...the higher the box, the less space you have to lift your legs, the easier it is. The PL is straight body(i.e. planche), the Pike is legs straight/but bend at the waist when lifting, and the straddle is a straddle:). I am a weakling so I can't even do a HS pushup much less press to handstand even on a box...tried it and my legs just stayed put unless I pushed off with momentum...I just don't have any concept of the muscles to use I think...or I just can't hold my legs up while in that position. Anyways, coach says that is you can't press to HS you can to HE, so I just wanted to make sure this was the same as doing He RLL but with your feet on a box.

-josh-

Saber2

Thanks Josh,

So the RLL is from a Headstand position? I saw that on yesterdays WOD but was unsure. I went downstairs today before my run to attempt the Pike Press But I guess I did the RLL because I was on my head. The muscles I felt were my stomach and neck (since I was on my head) I imagine the shoulders are easily targeted when doing a HS press. I think I can only do the straddle and pike. I am not even sure I can do the chest roll variation because just practicing the technique, I see myself faceplanting when performing the roll :mrgreen: Anyway I will definitely be reposting on this link tomorrow when I perform the WOD, today was just trying to see whats what before I went running.

Josh Schmitter

saber2

You can do the RLL from the He position, but it'scommonly done holding onto a P. Horse, countertop, anything that's high enough. I tried He RLL since I don't have weights for my ankles, but realized I should be doing unweighted coutertop hold RLL's. (This was for yesterdays WOD)

As for todays, Ya. I hear ya about the rolling press too, it's not happening. I'm going to try doing all the variations(except planche obviously) from a headstand as it's only one set for each variation. Then doing HS against the wall as I don't have proper rings or a way to straddle handstand the way I have them set up now.

-josh-

Jason Stein

Demus, Saber2

Hey man, have you guys followed each of the links above to the descriptions and discussions of the presses?

Your questions have both been addressed.

best of luck with this one,

jason

Josh Schmitter

This one was somewhere on the line between humbling and discouraging.

substituted 1x5 PPPu for PL Box Press HS as I can't even remotely do Chest Roll even to HeS...there's just something about that movement that I'm not getting

1x5 Pike Box HeS Press...this killed me, I think from doing much of the same movement in my sub. yesterday of He RLL

1x10 Straddle Box Hes Press...I had to up the box a little here as I was struggling...I was also struggling for a few to find something the right height for me...thinking back I suppose I could just use/face the wall next time and back away as far as I need to.

I did 12 cycles of HS against the wall. I was shaking by the very end, but these felt in the 'just right' category of difficulty...the static handstand position is very easy for me to hold comparably.

Reflecting on this workout is daunting as I want to be able to do a handstand press, but I can barely do 5 HeRLL/pike press to headstand. I know these days are part of it, and getting past them is also part of it...just stating where I am.

Alvaro

Today back to training as yesterday was legs (today I tried some squats and it seems next week I´ll start slowly again).

I performed this:

1X5 Planche box PtHS

1X5 pike box PTHS

1X10 straddle PThS

12 X 30 seg handstand with back to the wall. I finished quite tired this ones so ring are not an option in the near future.

I felt better than the last time we did this WOD. More solid , better equilibrium and more controlled negatives, so there is definitely an small improvement in this WOD, small but an improvement non the less! :D .

MarineMotivatedMe

man this workoput killed my shoulders.!!!!! it was amazing. those 12 sets of 30 sec freestanding handstand were great...although i dont think ill be handbalancing for another week lol

Neal Winkler

I did better on this workout last time. This time I kept getting acid reflux every time I went into the handstand and it really bothered me. I couldn't breath well and wasn't able to hold for the full 30 seconds. Still having trouble getting that last little bit of elbow extension.

Jason Stein

Triangle,

How are you handling the Box Planche Press?

Curious as to how people are running this one (chest rolls to HeSPU?).

best,

jason

Neal Winkler

I do chest roll to HS.

If I did the box planche press, I would start so high there would be no point!