This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100701

Started by Coach Sommer, July 1, 2010 · 9 Replies · 1,754 Views

Coach Sommer

trvd6vsIE2o

Perform the following:

3x5 Deck Squats

3x5 GHR

3x4 Tempo RLL

Finish the workout with 3x10 Hip Extensions.

notes:

1) Perform today's workout as 3 giant sets. This means perform a set of the Deck Squats, rest approx 30 sec, a set of the GHR, rest approx 30 sec and then the RLL. These three movements performed in sequence constitute one giant set. Rest 3-5 minutes between giant sets.

2) Add as much weight as possible to the Deck Squats and the RLL to make them quite challenging for the 5 repetitions.

3) Perform the RLL with a tempo of 313. This is read as a 3 second descent, a 1 second pause and then a 3 second ascent.

4) Use just barely enough assistance from your arms to allow the reps of GHR to be completed.

5) As noted in the essay referenced above, the first set of hip extensions is forward, the second is sideward and the third is circular.

Julekman

Coach, just a little question please. Know I better organized my job, family, karate club etc, and want to start with WOD (Slizz especially convinced me in his posts, thanks man). I already train gymnastic for some time ,when I am not tired, thanks to you and this forum.

So, should I start from the first (WOD - 081222), or just jump into it ? I probably repeat a question from someone, but...

Thank you !

Coach Sommer
Lekman said:
should I start from the first (WOD - 081222), or just jump into it ?

Begin with the current GB WOD. As they follow a strict template, where you begin in the template is of little consequence.

Also remember to always scale the GB WODs appropriately to match your current strength levels.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MarineMotivatedMe

coach. is it possible to do the RLL while across PB's?that is the only thing high enough i can do them on.

Coach Sommer
MarineMotivatedMe said:
is it possible to do the RLL while across PB's?that is the only thing high enough i can do them on.

PBs are not necessary. There are several other RLL variations available to you, such as HeS RLL, as shown in BtGB.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Josh Schmitter

Still working on scaling these down properly and, at the same time, getting familiar with a lot of these exercises, so I'm still not able to focus on as much of the strength aspect as I would like.

I did 3 giant sets...

3x5 deck squats with not nearly enough weight as I don't have a vest or dumbells and haven't searched around on the forum for alternatives. Tried SLS first but realized they were much too hard for a 3X5.

3x5 NLC just barely eeeked out: I realized too late that I don't have a place to do these at home(I was working out at my second job before with a nice shelf that I could just slide my feet under) so I got a square mat and did these with my feet under the car...I do not recommend this :) but it was all I had for the time. Going to get a doorway pullup bar...have one but not the kinda you can move around/tighten and loosen. Also is NLC an appropriate substitute for GHR?

3x4 tempo RLL: started with HeRLL but again, realized this would be too much for 3 sets so i grabbed onto the back of the car and countertop inside for unweighted ones that felt just about right in the difficulty level.

The hip extensions I was struggling through...by about 5 in each set i had to lower the leg slightly. I read that the hip angle should be constant so that means that you should not lean forward at all when doing the circle version and the leg is to the back correct? If so, I should sacrifice leg height for straight back? Also are the ones to the side like a side kick/side split? And finally, is it recommended to do L.leg 1x10 then R.leg1x10 or is it ok to alternate within each set if that helps to keep the leg up higher. Just want to be sure I'm doing these right. If anyone has a video link that would be killer.

Blairbob
is it possible to do the RLL while across PB's?

It sounds like you are at a gymnastics gym possibly if you have access to PB. If clearance is an issue, try it off the vault table or raise a pommel horse. A Balance Beam will also work, typically if you lay on it long-wise. Sometimes a spotting block can work as well or stacked mats.

A swiss ball may work if you can hold on to something to brace yourself. When I used to work out at home, I would use a bench and my bend my knees so my feet would not hit the floor.

Kenneth Manning

First time trying deck squats. Ha! Just couldn't seem to get the form down. Going to have to practice these on a softer surface.

SLS bw x 5 (all three sets)

Tried half ghr but after 2 reps I needed assistance so I switched to band assisted natural leg curl 3 x 5 with mini jumpstretch band

RLL 10 lbs around ankles for 3 x 5 - these felt good, could have gone heavier but its been a while.

Hip extensions - sounded a lot easier than they were!! Pretty much had leg slightly above parallel, though for a few reps the hip angle changed.

All in all a "decent" showing, looking forward to tomorrow....

Richard Duelley

I did this as prescribed except I didnt have a spotter for the GHR so did natural leg curls instead and I added 40 pounds to my RLL, I really could of used more but that’s all the weight in our gym :wink: I also went for a short 1.5 mile run before hand.

Carmen Amara

we did three sets of the three hip extensions mistakenly but the class was able to keep up. That felt great.