This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 100629

Started by Coach Sommer, June 29, 2010 · 21 Replies · 2,591 Views

Coach Sommer

YS8ol0rx1m8

Complete four rounds:

20’ L-sit Walk

5 Russian Dips

10 PB Dips

15 Swinging Dips

Finish with 2x10 Wrist Pushups

notes:

1) The L-sit Walks should be performed with an all out effort. As such, do your very best to not pause during the 20’ of L-sit Walks.

2) Move immediately from the L-sit Walks to the Russian Dips.

3) After the Russian Dips move immediately to the PB Dips.

4) After the PB Dips move immediately to the Swinging Dips.

5) Rest 2-3 minutes between rounds.

6) Scale the movements as necessary to allow the correct repetition range to be performed for a given movement.

Nic Scheelings

Coach,

I can't do l-sit walking particularly well on the floor (I can move a bit but not very far as i do my floor l-sit on finger tips) so I was going to do them on parallettes instead is this the best option to substitute?

Cheers

Coach Sommer
I can't do l-sit walking particularly well on the floor (I can move a bit but not very far as i do my floor l-sit on finger tips) so I was going to do them on parallettes instead is this the best option to substitute?

L-sit Walks on the PBs are a very good scaled down substitution.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

MarineMotivatedMe

what can i substitute in for the russian dips? i cannot do them as shown in the video

gymgreg

For a Russian Dip I would substitute Tiger Bend Style Pushups adjusted to your abilities (like feet on the floor or even elevated).

0aHfnM51KHk

But I am also interested in what others have to say about this.

Coach Sommer
For a Russian Dip I would substitute Tiger Bend Style Pushups adjusted to your abilities (like feet on the floor or even elevated).

Tiger bend pushup variations would target the incorrect musculature. While not as effective as Russian Dips, a better substitution would be upper-arm shrugs. To perform these hang by the upper-arms and then, staying on the upper-arms only, shrug the torso up and down.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gymgreg

Thanks Coach, that makes sense.

MarineMotivatedMe

turns out my form was just wrong on the russian dips. lol my bad...man the l-sit walks kicked my butt. i love it. your the best coach!

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer,

What is your prescribed time domain per round for this WOD and others like it?

I understand it's not a chipper or grinder, but I am curious as to your suggestions of upper limit of time per round. Two minutes, 5 minutes?

Or, do you suggest that if we are unable to complete 4 rounds unbroken (without dropping from bar), that we scale rep scheme to one we can complete unbroken?

What is the emphasis, completing all reps within a window of time (however brief), or maintaining intensity?

Thanks,

jason

Kenneth Manning

Well, that was interesting...

The only one of those movements that I've done before was PB dips.

1) L sit walk 20' : this one was not happening. So, I did a floor L sit and just lifted each hand off the floor (alternating) for 20 "lifts." Initially, when I tried to move forward, my feet kept dropping. This was a disappointment.

1B) Russian dips: Again, never did these before, so sets looked like this:

1) jumping russian dips x 5

2) regular russian dips, 5x1 (reset feet after each rep)

3) same as #2

4) Finally started to feel the movement and the correct form, did 3 in a row, reset feet, then 2 in a row

1C) PB dips: 10, 8, 6+4, 5+3+2 (can't believe how fried my triceps were by the time I got to these)

1D) Swinging dips: I'm sure these looked ugly, 12, 8, 6, 6 (arms fried)

2) wrist pushups on knees, 2x10

*ok, I'm out of shape. With no rest between sets my arms were not cooperating

*once I got the hang of russian dips, they felt really good. I'm actually anxious to give them another go..

*need much more L sit work. just attempting to walk in an L sit was quite humbling

One quick question -- are the WOD's done every Mon/tues/thurs/fri? I just was wondering about the specific setup so i can manage a bit (really, just a bit) of extra work around the WODs.

Neal Winkler

I don't have parallel bars. Even if I did, my feet would probably hit the ceiling on the upswing of swinging dips.

Jason Stein
killroy70 said:
Well, that was interesting...

Way to gut it out, man!

Josh Schmitter

Second WOD...kinda weak due to a bad schedule on my part but completed...

4 rounds of

15s PB low hold on parallettes

4 neg chair dips

12s XR support hold(as I don't have access to PB bars or dipping station and am so weak in dips to begin with I felt trying it on chairs might end very badly)

Almost forgot the wrist pushups but got them in, again with almost no weight on wrists, but they are feeling much better.

Took 2minutes and change in between sets.

The neg dips are still rough, but feeling better. I was trying them on my ring like homemade substitute(have rings coming) and that was just a mess as my XR support hold is still very shaky.

Also, this forum is killer.

-josh-

Coach Sommer
What is your prescribed time domain per round for this WOD and others like it?

I understand it's not a chipper or grinder, but I am curious as to your suggestions of upper limit of time per round. Two minutes, 5 minutes?

Do not be concerned with time of sets during this WOD. If you are unable to complete the prescribed number of reps for an exercise than the exercise variation you are attempting is too difficult for you. If you are unable to perform even the easiest dip variations as RX'd, then I would prefer that you substitute suitable pushup variations.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Josh Schmitter

Good to hear from the coach about substitution ideas when the easiest version of an exercise. I was thinking of doing partials, but will def. follow coaches advice. I will hopefully be able to crank out 5 neg. dips soon(maybe even next workout) so it will no longer be a problem.

again, this forum rocks the socks...to get almost instant feedback from tons of people more experienced than myself...granted that's not a hard place to be :), but thanks again.

Kenneth Manning

jasonmstein - appreciate the encouragement! Prior to starting the WODs, for my strength work, I generally waited until I was ready from set to set and also alternated antagonistic muscle groups. Just 2 weeks ago, I was taking back-off week (no low rep strength stuff) and decided to test my bodyweight chins and BW PB dips. I repped 22 chins and 33 dips (personal best). So in today's workout, the first round of PB dips felt pretty easy.... and then after that second set of russian dips, going right to PB dips with no rest... I felt like I just crashed. I'm disappointed I let my conditioning slip so badly. Though despite it all, I really looking forward to the next WOD.

Oh, and my "substitute" for parallel bars? 2 barbells running width-wise across the supports inside a power rack. I have a dip station, but had to figure something out for russian dips. It actually worked out ok, though I'm going to have to look into building something a little more adaptive to other PB exercises.

Good training.

Jason Stein

Coach,

Thanks much for clarifying! I was worried that dropping off the bar to shake out was at odds with your intentions.

Killroy,

This stuff is fun and very rewarding. Also, it will flatten you (in a good way, hopefully), so keep it up ... my experience has been PRs in BW and weighted pull-ups WITHOUT DOING HIGH VOLUME PULL-UPS, which is pretty great.

best,

jason

Blairbob

This WOD was a beast. It took me just under 30m to complete with the rests of 5m. I'm pretty sure I did 4 rounds but thinking back maybe I did only 3. I rested from 630-1130 and 18ish to 23. Sounds like 3 rounds, dang it. Worked out as I made it to Walmart just in time (1m left) to buy a protein shot since I'm out of whey protein currently.

Round 1

-PB L-sit walk across PB two laps (roughly 10'). Brutal and my L-sit fell apart to the point it was a tuck and even that failed.

-Russian Dips in a bicycle tube. It's been awhile and it felt like it but doable. However, I wondered what it would do to rest of the WOD.

-10 dips in a front support on the PH. Sort of in a way assisted since my legs and torso sort of rest on the PH. Fairly doable.

-15 swinging dips, dipping in the front. 3x5

Round 2&3

-Did butt scoots for 20' instead. Noticed some cramping in lower back, I think. It's been awhile. 3rd round was much easier doing these.

-Russian dips in bike tube were easier.

-Became sets of 2 and 3 as did the swinging dips. Generally 2-3 with a 10-15 count of rest. Managed to hit 4 assisted dips in the 3rd round but dip swings became laughable.

Yes, it was a suckfest.

To note WU included 40' of planche lean>pushup pike-ups across floor (which I didn't think would be taxing [it's something I like doing in my WU]), 5 wall presses in straddle, 3 in pike, 2 pike press from prone off a swiss ball and 5 jump presses from kneeling and 5 from a lunge besides 3 HS 1/2 pirouettes. Maybe last night's WOD still limiting me, dunno.

Saber2

WOW!!!

This was rough. I usually never struggle when it comes to dips using bodyweight. Today humbled me. I have no access to Parallel bars so attempted all the dips on rings. The russian dips are harder than hell on the rings. So I was only getting partial movement. I hope over time these will progress, so I just wanted to know if doing them on rings are acceptable? I was unable to do the swinging dips, mainly from soreness so I substituted tricep extensions in for those. I figure it was something that would finish me off and still be able to do 15 reps. Wrist pushups were extremely difficult for me to do. I would just flop and fall when my wrist turned over, and this was on my knees.

Today opened up my eyes to how ill prepared I was. It also showed that my routine I was following was severely flawed. So again thanks Coach for these WOD's. I look forward to seeing my progress over the coming months.

Coach Sommer
The russian dips are harder than hell on the rings. So I was only getting partial movement. I hope over time these will progress, so I just wanted to know if doing them on rings are acceptable?

It is not possible to perform actual Russian Dips on the rings; however performing the top half of a muscle-up, only going down to slightly past the transition, would actually be more difficult.

Today opened up my eyes to how ill prepared I was. It also showed that my routine I was following was severely flawed. So again thanks Coach for these WOD's.

You're welcome.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jason Stein

Coach Sommer,

I'm hoping for just a little bit more clarification on this WOD.

I am hearing you as saying that if you are unable (or estimate you are unable) to complete all 4 rounds unbroken, scale down to variations that allow you to complete them each un-fractioned.

Does this sounds accurate?

thanks much,

jason

Coach Sommer
I am hearing you as saying that if you are unable (or estimate you are unable) to complete all 4 rounds unbroken, scale down to variations that allow you to complete them each un-fractioned.

Essentially that is correct. Although some fractioning is acceptable, especially in the later sets, as long as it is not excessive. For example, if you are reduced to performing sets of 1 or 2 reps, you have chosen a variation which is far too demanding for you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer