This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on Pushups 5x15r. Please help!

Started by Arif Vakil, June 1, 2023 · 11 Replies · 131 Views

Arif Vakil

Hi wonderful Gymnastic Bodies Coaches,

I seem to be stuck on pushups 5x15 r for about 2 months now!  Please help me.

The only way I am able to complete 5 sets is if I take a little longer rest in between the sets.  If I don't rest, I fail in one of the sets.  I'm personally okay with the longer rest. It seems I need it. 

Can I progress to the next exercise?  Below are two videos. First one is me doing a complete set of 15 pushups.  The other of me failing in the last rep or so.

Complete set:

 

Failure:

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Arif Vakil said:

Hi wonderful Gymnastic Bodies Coaches,

I seem to be stuck on pushups 5x15 r for about 2 months now!  Please help me.

The only way I am able to complete 5 sets is if I take a little longer rest in between the sets.  If I don't rest, I fail in one of the sets.  I'm personally okay with the longer rest. It seems I need it. 

Can I progress to the next exercise?  Below are two videos. First one is me doing a complete set of 15 pushups.  The other of me failing in the last rep or so.

Complete set:

 

Failure:

 

 

 

Hi Arif, i think that the main problem is not the failure for now but the technique. I mean that you are breaking the bodyline. if you notice the shoulders move up first and then the hips follow. this is a basic technique mistake and not a fatigue problem because it appears from the very first rep until the last repetitions.

I remember that i have commented on your pseduo planche pushup some months ago but i've never had the possibility to check for the pushup.

the course section it is very important and useful because it allows to check for the form before to begin to add reps and sets.

Arif Vakil

Dear @Alessandro Mainente,

Thank you so much for the prompt replies.  Really appreciate them!  

I did share my pushup form with you earlier.  It's in the same thread as Pseudo-Planche pushup thread here.  Earlier your feedback was that I need to focus on my ROM first.  

Now I'll work on my bodyline.  I guess the best way to do that is to restart pushups and focus on
1. Engaging my Core
2. Squeezing Glutes. 
Anything else?

Warmly,
Arif

Arif Vakil
14 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

the course section it is very important and useful because it allows to check for the form before to begin to add reps and sets.

 

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

I'm not clear what do you mean by "the course section".  Where can I access this?

Thanks so much again!

Alessandro Mainente
56 minutes ago, Arif Vakil said:

Dear @Alessandro Mainente,

Thank you so much for the prompt replies.  Really appreciate them!  

I did share my pushup form with you earlier.  It's in the same thread as Pseudo-Planche pushup thread here.  Earlier your feedback was that I need to focus on my ROM first.  

Now I'll work on my bodyline.  I guess the best way to do that is to restart pushups and focus on
1. Engaging my Core
2. Squeezing Glutes. 
Anything else?

Warmly,
Arif

this is the forum course section...so use it if you can...it helps...

i took a video of your pushup and yes....they were better than now...probably with the time you've shifted the focus from technique to ONLY  range of motion and effort. this is not wrong itself but it should be contextualized. i mean that everything it is important but effort it is the last of parameters. if technique is not enough clean you simply finish to build up effort on bad execution. the main thing that you have to do now is to reduce the rep and focus on moving the upper bopy like a woodbar. if you hips move then shouldes move etc...if you cannot from the first rep maybe the habit you gained it too strong and you need to slow down the movement.

a nice tip igive to my students is to think to push away from the floor the sternum during the pushup...if core is engaged then the lower body will follow the upper body.

Arif Vakil

Brilliant as always @Alessandro Mainente!

Got it. I'm going to reduce the reps and focus on clean execution.  Slowing down the movement is a great idea, will try that.  As well as pushing away the floor from the sternum.

Arif Vakil
On 6/2/2023 at 12:32 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

this is the forum course section...so use it if you can...it helps...

 

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

I really could use all the help I can get.  I looked at the Forums. The only ones I came across with the word "course" is the "Restore Courses" in the Beginners Forum.  I don't think you're referring to that.   Would be grateful if you (or anyone else reading this message) could help me with the link to the right section.

Looking forward to your response and many thanks in advance.

Warmly,

Arif

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Arif Vakil said:

 

Hi @Alessandro Mainente,

I really could use all the help I can get.  I looked at the Forums. The only ones I came across with the word "course" is the "Restore Courses" in the Beginners Forum.  I don't think you're referring to that.   Would be grateful if you (or anyone else reading this message) could help me with the link to the right section.

Looking forward to your response and many thanks in advance.

Warmly,

Arif

Private course section is the section you are useing to write right now....the GST Course Section.

Arif Vakil
17 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Private course section is the section you are useing to write right now....the GST Course Section.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification @Alessandro Mainente.

Arif Vakil

HI Coach @Alessandro Mainente,

I'm working hard towards my pushup form to maintain a straight body line.  How am I doing below?

 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Arif Vakil said:

HI Coach @Alessandro Mainente,

I'm working hard towards my pushup form to maintain a straight body line.  How am I doing below?

 

hey Arif....you did it!!!!the first rep is awesome..compare it with the previous video!!

Arif Vakil

Oh Gosh!  Thank you so very much @Alessandro Mainente!

Thank you for your coaching.
Thank you for your patience.
Thank you for your guidance!
 

Even though it's the humble pushup, at times I really thought it was impossible and I'll never get it.  I'm so glad I'm close now.  Now to double down and get 15 x 5 reps of these bad boys.   Will keep working on this Alessandro.  And I'll post here if I get stuck.

Really appreciate the help.

Love & warm wishes,
Arif