This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE15 - Box headstand pushup

Started by Awais Muzaffar, January 12, 2023 · 30 Replies · 276 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hi coaches, here is one of my first attemts with this; Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 1/12/2023 at 10:49 AM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi coaches, here is one of my first attemts with this; Thanks!

 

Hey Awais, don't you have an higher surface for the legs? ideally you should begin in a L-shape handstand...so...hips above the wrists...

Awais Muzaffar

Hmm okay ... the PB bar is quite below my hips... I will try to make a higher surface.

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi coaches,

I've got a higher surface;

Set 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_In-_DWR5jU

Set 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpfSqutGhs8

Thanks,
 

Hi Awais, there is a lot of work to do on the starting position. as you can see below the 3 dots should e always aligned over the wrists.

the proper sequence in order to achieve a good alignment is:

- first reach with the feet;

-then move the wrist UNDER THE HIPS

- then finally open the shoulder in the L- handstand position.

 

image.png

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks - that diagram is very helpful.

In this case I am struggling to open my shoulders fully - I need to go back and do more shoulder mobility work it seems.

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks - that diagram is very helpful.

In this case I am struggling to open my shoulders fully - I need to go back and do more shoulder mobility work it seems.

 

For sure you are gifted for the pulling work but this one in the long terms creates more tensione against the shoulder flexion. how is your handstand development? and what about the bridge course?

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks! Sorry was on holiday, and then the site had issues so didn't reply.

While I've made good steady progress in bridge and handstand course, my shoulder mobility seems to be stuck in the 170' range not the full 180+ or more. Also the more fatigue I get, the more my shoulders close. 

Perhaps I need to be a bit more aggressive with my shoulder moblity work.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks! Sorry was on holiday, and then the site had issues so didn't reply.

While I've made good steady progress in bridge and handstand course, my shoulder mobility seems to be stuck in the 170' range not the full 180+ or more. Also the more fatigue I get, the more my shoulders close. 

Perhaps I need to be a bit more aggressive with my shoulder moblity work.

just for my curiosity can you show to me your standing pike?

Awais Muzaffar

Sure, here is my standing pike: 

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Sure, here is my standing pike: 

 

Ok your upper back is not rounded so your shoulder flexion is probably limited by your posterior capsule joint...i suggest a daily work on the capsule stretch from thoracic bridge series...focusing on having the stretched shoulder depressed. i'm pretty sure that here there is a good restriction.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks Alessandro, for the really valuable insight in where my restriction could be. I'll focus on it.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey, can you have a look at my alignment only please; With the right height of the legs and shoulder mobility work, it looks better than before:

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey, can you have a look at my alignment only please; With the right height of the legs and shoulder mobility work, it looks better than before:

 

Hi Awais, you lack of shulder flexion. it can also be due to the excessive hips flexion.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks for the feedback. Should my elbow, wrist etc.. be more in line with the green line below? I am trying to understand the mastery requirement.

 1736183001_Screenshot2023-06-22at18_07_20.thumb.png.717c5fe1f583a167f228ea7ab6094102.png

Alessandro Mainente
On 6/22/2023 at 7:12 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

Thanks for the feedback. Should my elbow, wrist etc.. be more in line with the green line below? I am trying to understand the mastery requirement.

 1736183001_Screenshot2023-06-22at18_07_20.thumb.png.717c5fe1f583a167f228ea7ab6094102.png

no. shoulders and wrists should be aligned with hips.

Awais Muzaffar

While I continue with shoulder mobility work; Is the below form okay to continue with the exercise (I'm trying to keep hips more over):

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

While I continue with shoulder mobility work; Is the below form okay to continue with the exercise (I'm trying to keep hips more over):

 

If you llok to the position of the hips, the fall forward compared to the wrists...so you must move the wrists a bit forward..

Awais Muzaffar

Okay thanks, I will try to attempt to move them a bit forward.
 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay I got a little bit more flexion in some more attempts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKd63QnjvWI

...and then on final attempt, I got little bit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HyaCQvPVVY

1426862531_Screenshot2023-07-02at10_28_00.thumb.png.ebd3c5ddc4616c3c1bcc3f46b3acc477.png

For now this is the most I can physically do...

You should increase it even more. notice also that you are doing a common mistake..instead of pushing upward and also on the right (is a combination of both) you tend to push only upward resulting in a top position with a lack of shoulder flexion.

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks. I'll continue making the suggested improvements.

 

Awais Muzaffar

Is this better? I'm really trying to push tall and feel the stretch in the traps area.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Is this better? I'm really trying to push tall and feel the stretch in the traps area.

 

 

now the hips position is correct!

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks! Now I'll stay here until I can do 5x5 with the same position always.