Hello everyone.

Started by James Portillo, June 25, 2010 · 6 Replies · 3,011 Views

James Portillo

Hey there, as you can see I'm new to the forums, although I have been lurking for a little while reading the various stickies and non-stickies. Just wanted to give a little background on myself as well as put up my GB workout routine for tips/critiques/additions/etc.

First of all, I'm 19, 127lbs, 5'3". I'm not a gymnast by any means, but I have been b-boying for a little over four years and I am very passionate about what I do as well as the whole hip hop culture (I also Rap). That being said, I am also a fitness enthusiast who is very interested in pursuing a healthy lifestyle/body and training in a way that compliments what I do physically--what better way to supplement my b-boying than with gymnastic conditioning? I find that it is the only way to "workout" that directly correlates and transfers over to certain skills in b-boying.. sadly many other b-boys don't seem to realize this and waste countless hours at the gym or at home doing high rep exercises. But I digress; I, like many others, had first read about gymnastic conditioning through Coach Sommer's article on dragondoor on the planche and front lever progressions. This was a couple years ago, when I had thought I knew "enough" about exercising and had actually not done enough research on the subject as I should've (I feel I know a GREAT deal more now than before, but of course there's always more to know and I don't consider my self an expert by any means). Any way, now that I understand the concepts of gymnastic conditioning much more, I have recently been trying to integrate the training into my schedule of practicing using a SSC approach.. and my main reason for making this thread is so that I can get feedback on how I should either change my routine, add something to it, if it's balanced/reasonable/etc.

To be honest, I'm really not into the whole idea of being flashy or having insanely drawn out powermove combos.. I feel like although I'm young, I have an old school b-boy mindset yet not stuck in the past about how it might've been "Better" back then. I love the culture itself too much and have done my share of research.. but of course always remaining a student and always participating actively in the culture such as going to jams and teaching others. To give an example of the style I lean towards to more, I'll give you a video.. which ironically doesn't show the more familiar side of b-boying that incorporates a bit of gymnastics.

My goals are to have a full planche, full back lever, full front lever, and better handstand abilities (I'm pretty average, but of course being a b-boy I have practiced freestanding handstands, as of now I can hold about 30s freestanding), 60s perfect L-Sit, and a perfect straddle L (of which I'm having the hardest time.. have horrible active flexibility in my hip flexors), and overall better flexibility.

Here's my current routine I want to implement starting this coming sunday.. any help is much appreciated and I look forward to posting more.

5 min. warm up before workouts

10 Wrist Push Ups (On knees, full is too hard as of right now)

Monday:

-10-20min. Handstand work/3x5 wall handstand push ups

-6x10sec. Tuck Planche, 90sec. rest

-6x10sec. Tuck Back Lever, 90s rest

-3x20sec. L-Sit, w/ 2Min. rest

-10x6sec. Straddle L-Sit, 45 sec. rest

-Body Lever Progressions

Tuesday:

-6x10sec. Tuck Front Lever, 90sec. rest

-5x5 L-Sit Pull Ups

-5x10 sec. 90-90 Iso Chin Up Hang, 60 sec. rest

-3x3 Shrimps, 5Min. rest

-3x3 GHR, 5Min. rest

Thursday:

-10-20min. Handstand work/3x5 wall handstand push ups

-6x10sec. Tuck Planche, 90sec. rest

-6x10sec. Tuck Back Lever, 90s rest

-3x20sec. L-Sit, 2Min. rest

-10x6sec. Straddle L-Sit, 45 sec. rest

-Body Lever Progressions

Friday:

-6x10sec. Tuck Front Lever, 90s rest

-5x10 sec. 90-90 Iso Chin Up Hang, 60 sec. rest

-5x5 L-Sit Pull ups

-3x3 SLS, 5Min. rest

-3x3 GHR, 5Min. rest

3-5min. rest between statics

:shock: didn't realize how much of a monster post this was.. hopefully it doesn't intimidate anyone and it gets overlooked.. like some topics do.

edit - I also want to generally maintain my weight (within a couple pounds), but also shed a little bit of body fat and have a better composition.. I'm not sure if it's accurate or up to date but I believe I'm around 10% body fat. I know that's already relatively low but I know that I could still afford to lose maybe about 2% or a little more.. any tips on the best body fat burning activity (besides building muscle and watching diet)--I've read tons of threads and posts on this forum about cardio and gymnastics and have gathered mixed views and ideas/suggestions/tips but I just want to have one more direct opinion to solidify my own choice.

Neal Winkler

Since you have the time to follow a 4 day per week program, I would suggest that you follow the Coach Sommer's WOD. It's the same program that his athletes follow, and if your program was better, that's what he would have figured out already and be using for them. Since it's difficult to discern someones tone over the web, I'm not saying that with a snooty tone or anything. I'm just stating the obvious, ya know? :D

I also say this because all the things your program shows you want to achieve, will be covered by the WOD.

James Portillo

..Well I never suggest my "program" for anyone, hence the reason why I was asking for tips/suggestions on it. I just planned on making my own schedule in the form of SSC so that I can progress in all of the statics. And no explanation is needed; I'm well aware of sarcasm on other things on the net being not so easily conveyed.. I tend to do the same thing anyway.

I was looking at the WOD's and I believe I might start them.. but before that I just want to get a solid foundation down first--I have limited equipment just using a pull up bar/paralette and a couple of weights. Thanks for the suggestion.

Neal Winkler

Ah, my bad, if you don't have the rings yet then the WOD's won't be much use to you.

Alvaro

I think that with your numbers you can follow WOD, no further base strength is needed as you can perform 10 seg tuck back lever or 5 Lsit pull ups(just to name a few) . I´m following the Wod from just 3 weeks ago and I can say that you will really notice the difference even if you have to scale them down quite a bit. They are very well engineered, to increase strength, flexibility, improve all the connective tissue ( ligaments, tendons, fascia), and they will give you Power or dynamic days, witch is hardly found in normal workout and must be adapted slowly. That is a lot of bang for the buck for a 40 min average work out.

If you really are for fitness an Bboyness ( I don´t know how you call it sorry :) ) Xtrem rings are a must, they are not expensive (not even for a 19 years old) and will last forever! really buy them as soon as you can. The book is a great tool also, ask for a present or something.

Really after training 2 years with my own or some one else work out , now I really feel the difference of training with a much much much better work out as the WOD is. Improvements will come steadily but faster than you made them before for sure.

James Portillo

I understand the importance of the rings.. but I'm really low on money right now so those and the book are out of the question for now.. though I plan on getting them in the near future.

All I wanted was to get tips on my own SSC routine.. was trying to make it similar to the killroy template, but just wasn't sure on the construction of it.

Seiji

Not trying to kill coach's business, but I made my rings for $21 at the hardware store. Plenty of guides on how to do it. Of course real rings are nicer, but they do the same thing. Plus, I have 2 extra cargo straps for whatever I want them for.