Hello coaches,
For now just a few seconds, until I adjust to the load. At this point 30 second hold feels like a dream ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Awais Muzaffar, November 21, 2022 · 31 Replies · 306 Views
Hello coaches,
For now just a few seconds, until I adjust to the load. At this point 30 second hold feels like a dream ![]()
18 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Hello coaches,
For now just a few seconds, until I adjust to the load. At this point 30 second hold feels like a dream
Hey Awais, well for sure your legs do not help but.....i have a student who can do a full planche with hands below hips level (this reflects where his center of gravity is located. the more legs you have the more you have to lean). of course it is harder than front lever because you have little muscles supporting heavy leverage.
Thanks Alessandro, always interesting to hear your experiences.
So should I lean more until my hands are my more underneath my hips
On 11/21/2022 at 7:25 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:Hello coaches,
For now just a few seconds, until I adjust to the load. At this point 30 second hold feels like a dream
Woohoo! Way to go, Awais!
On 11/22/2022 at 9:48 AM, Awais Muzaffar said:Thanks Alessandro, always interesting to hear your experiences.
So should I lean more until my hands are my more underneath my hips
mmmm no. the important factor is to have the knees that should not pass the elbows level.
On 11/23/2022 at 6:49 AM, Arif Vakil said:Woohoo! Way to go, Awais!
Thanks Arif - Just trying to keep consistent and making that small extra step each session
Hey! Apologies I need some more clarification.
1. Is my knees position correct? Or should it be more up, down etc...
2. When I try to keep knees behind the elbows, I get into a flat back, as below:
2 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Hey! Apologies I need some more clarification.
1. Is my knees position correct? Or should it be more up, down etc...
2. When I try to keep knees behind the elbows, I get into a flat back, as below:
Hey Awais, the position of the knee is correct. now the facct that you tend to move into a flat back is because what makes the upper back rounded is weak...for istance..serratus anterior. the more it get stronger the easier it is to hold the planche with rounded upper back.
Thanks. It looks like HBP (foundation 3) will eventually give some good exercise like planche dips, and tuck planche to bent arm to provide extra stimulation for those muscles. But I certainly don't want to rush my HBP progress yet!
2 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Thanks. It looks like HBP (foundation 3) will eventually give some good exercise like planche dips, and tuck planche to bent arm to provide extra stimulation for those muscles. But I certainly don't want to rush my HBP progress yet!
For now run HBP and planche in parallel , adding more is not necessary always especially now that in planche you are working at high intensity.
Protraction is better than before, and I've got a 16 second max hold. Currently I am trying to break this into 4x10 seconds, (2 sessions per week).
I've been at it for 3 months nearly, but the goal of 5x30 seconds still seems so far away...
6 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Protraction is better than before, and I've got a 16 second max hold. Currently I am trying to break this into 4x10 seconds, (2 sessions per week).
I've been at it for 3 months nearly, but the goal of 5x30 seconds still seems so far away...
Hi Awais, \6'' is NOT your max hold. probably 20'' maybe 22''...after many years coaching skills i can see when someone is holding to failure.
Thanks Alessandro, that's an interesting observation. I'll keep pushing through!
Awais,
I've had a lot of trouble progressing on this element as well. I even commented on a thread of yours I believe. I couldn't get past 5x18. In fact, I'd fail there and then fail again on the progression before it. But last week I passed 4x24. I certainly forsee more stalled progress now that I'm up to 4x30, in the "one step forward, two steps back" kind of way. But I hope this gives you some kind of hope.
My most successful sets have come with a limited warmup. I've only been doing 30 sec plank and 30 sec planche lean (feet on floor). I used to do 4 different exercises in my warmup.
Have you experimented much with what kind of warmup gives you the best results on your training set?
13 hours ago, David Hurwitz said:Awais,
I've had a lot of trouble progressing on this element as well. I even commented on a thread of yours I believe. I couldn't get past 5x18. In fact, I'd fail there and then fail again on the progression before it. But last week I passed 4x24. I certainly forsee more stalled progress now that I'm up to 4x30, in the "one step forward, two steps back" kind of way. But I hope this gives you some kind of hope.
My most successful sets have come with a limited warmup. I've only been doing 30 sec plank and 30 sec planche lean (feet on floor). I used to do 4 different exercises in my warmup.
Have you experimented much with what kind of warmup gives you the best results on your training set?
are you still doing the IM right after the planche hold?
Me personally, I've stopped doing IMs with these, until I can break past my plateues.
8 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Me personally, I've stopped doing IMs with these, until I can break past my plateues.
For some people this is a solution.
Okay, I'll have play around with that. Also should I add tuck planche as additional sets after?
1 hour ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Okay, I'll have play around with that. Also should I add tuck planche as additional sets after?
I do not have an answer for you sincerely because there are many variables that play a role here. if you do planche and push work twice a week it shuld be enough.
Hmm, actually I’m only doing planche and push 1 day per week currently.
Thanks
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Okay, I'll have play around with that. Also should I add tuck planche as additional sets after?
can you tell e a bit more? i mean exercise and set x rep you're doing? at your level only twice a week begins to be too less...
Sure...
So for SPL, I'm doing one day, in this order:
For a brief period, I was also doing a push weightlifting session (9-12 reps range); that consisted of DB incline press, Seated DB press, lat raises, and some accessory tricep work.
Thanks!
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Sure...
So for SPL, I'm doing one day, in this order:
- Open planche - 4 sets of around 15 seconds (more or less) without iM in between
- iM, bent arm planche work (optional, after open planche completed) - 2 sets of 12 seconds
- Planche lean - 30 seconds
- Plank - 60 seconds
And then there is one day of HBP, in this order:- Pushups - 20 reps
- PB dips - 10 reps
- Bar muscle ups (false grip) - 4 reps (because they are a combo of straight bar dips and russian dips)
- Bulgarian rings dips - 5 reps
- Pike push ups - 3 sets, 4 reps
For a brief period, I was also doing a push weightlifting session (9-12 reps range); that consisted of DB incline press, Seated DB press, lat raises, and some accessory tricep work.
Thanks!
if for the planche progression you are training for the open tuck planche...what about the HBP? what is the main movement?
Sorry by pike pushups I mean Box Headstand Pushup for HBP. Which I do after the the other exercises.
4 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:Sorry by pike pushups I mean Box Headstand Pushup for HBP. Which I do after the the other exercises.
ok...from my perspective the routine should change a bit as follow:
day one push
Open planche - main sets presscribed for the day
pike pushup - 2/3 of the sets of the day 3 with one rep less
Plank - 60 seconds
day 2 pull
day 3 push
And then there is one day of HBP, in this order:
Pushups - 20 reps
PB dips - 5 reps
Pike hs box push ups - at least 4 sets, 4 reps
planche lean half sets of day 1 with 2/3 of the seconds of the day 1.
day 4 pull