Hey!
I've been reading a lot on this forum for 6 months and it's all great. I understand that most members do not care for optimal hypertrophy, as they train focused on gymnastic performance, but some members, I believe (my case at least) really do want to get big muscles, the own name of the site is building the gymnastic BODY.
Anyway, the point is, my goal (and the goal of at least some members I hope) is to get the benefits of the gymnastic training, flexibility, agility, mobility, and of course, strength, training as not professional gymnastic alied with exercises based on coach sommers book, doing all those cool skills AND to get a cool looking body. I understand that gymnastic strength does give you hypertrophy, but I think everybody agrees that not like bodybuilding. I noticed that on myself for the past 6 months.
I have tried before to train the two together, in the same week, but I wasn't successful. You inevitable get sore and stiff in the muscle you work and that lasts for more than one day. That being one upperbody muscle, like pecs, back or shoulder completely crashes your possibility to do, even one day after, ring training, bar or parallels training. You definitely need to rest that muscular group and that is hard in gymnastics because almost everything works almost everything.
So, the idea that came to my mind is to train one week of full bodybuilding, one muscle per day, plus abs and some stretch to minimize losing flexibility, rest the weekend, and one week of full gymnastic training, perhaps 3 or 4 days of gymnastic training combined with prehab and heavy flexibility work and strength based on the book of coach sommer. Keep alternating the weeks.
I'm starting this next week. Does this has any chance of working? Is a good idea? Will they complement each other?