This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Incline Push up

Started by Vanessa Hunt, August 12, 2022 · 27 Replies · 196 Views

Vanessa Hunt

Hello coaches,

I've regressed back to incline pu's to work on maintaining shoulder depression, slowly worked back up to 5x15. How is my form looking?

 Co

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/12/2022 at 8:31 AM, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hello coaches,

I've regressed back to incline pu's to work on maintaining shoulder depression, slowly worked back up to 5x15. How is my form looking?

 Co

Perfectly done.

Vanessa Hunt

Hi coaches

Given my difficulty with ensuring depression of shoulders during this movement I've decided to just reduce the incline slightly and build back up to 5x15.  

Im working to retain the feeling of shoulder depression attained at previous incline level.  Feedback on form please before i progress any further. Many thanks.

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 9/4/2022 at 8:16 AM, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi coaches

Given my difficulty with ensuring depression of shoulders during this movement I've decided to just reduce the incline slightly and build back up to 5x15.  

Im working to retain the feeling of shoulder depression attained at previous incline level.  Feedback on form please before i progress any further. Many thanks.

 

Hey Vanessa, my impression is that when you reach the bottom you have the hands too close to your hips...the best configuration is to have them approximately to the sternum level.

Vanessa Hunt

Great thanks. I think I just need to move my feet back a tad. Will post next session for update on form.

Vanessa Hunt

Hello Ive moved my feet back a bit. How is this form looking now? 

 

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hello Ive moved my feet back a bit. How is this form looking now? 

 

try to force the shoulder down....specifically at 8''...

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro to be clear do you mean ensure shoulders are depressed?  Is this the same thing as force the shoulder down?

 

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi Alessandro to be clear do you mean ensure shoulders are depressed?  Is this the same thing as force the shoulder down?

 

distance between the upper part of the shoulder and the ear. this is one of my students....please stop the video whenever you want...take note to the distance from upper shoulder (i would say acromion prominence and ear. it is always the same. look at the pic below (also the video). 

the red line has the same length rep over rep. simply on the last one you do not have enough strength to leave the floor!

image.png image.png

 

 

image.png

image.png

image.png

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro thank you so much....I think these pics/ videos would have been really usual during my previous 3 years of my p/u training with this program.

Images are always much better understood than words.

I'm going to increase the incline. As you say I simply don't have the strength to leave the floor....I will continue with this strategy.  

I cant help but think being female and 45yrs old this may be against me to ever achieve this element!??  It hasnt gone unnoticed that within the private GB forums I appear to be the only female posting.  The videos ive seen you post also are of men.  im keen to know of your experience training women of my age??. I simply ask out of curiosity and to glean some inspiration.  

I will continue to try with this element and the others im currently working on.....my aim is to remain fit, well and mobile as I age.  GB training will at least if anything help me achieve this I think......perfect pu or not.

Thanks as always

 

 

 

 

 

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro the vid and pics were great to guide me. I've just had a play with increasing incline and taking video from side and back. The back view really helps to see what my shoulders are doing.

Can you let me know your thoughts? They don't to me appear to move throughout movement towards ears from side or back view. But I know you have a keen eye for this so will always check in. 

 

Thanks

 

Alessandro Mainente
5 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi Alessandro the vid and pics were great to guide me. I've just had a play with increasing incline and taking video from side and back. The back view really helps to see what my shoulders are doing.

Can you let me know your thoughts? They don't to me appear to move throughout movement towards ears from side or back view. But I know you have a keen eye for this so will always check in. 

 

Thanks

 

first video is perfect...my suggestion in this case is to insert some anterior deltoid raised with a pair of dumbel while stading with upper back on the wall and feet in front of you about 50 cm from the wall and hips flat...this emulate very good the shoulder movement.

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro 

From my training today....any feedback?

I've included anterior deltoid raise in warm up now. Thank tou for adding this exercise. I can see why you added it.  I'm trying to emulate the same feeling through pu.

I've posted side and back...and a previous vid (there are many :eek:) where your reminding me to depress shoulder. I'm adding it as a comparison for myself...I see the kick upward of the the shoulder as I push up. That is what I'm working to eliminate.  Thanks as always...

 

Alessandro Mainente
12 minutes ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi Alessandro 

From my training today....any feedback?

I've included anterior deltoid raise in warm up now. Thank tou for adding this exercise. I can see why you added it.  I'm trying to emulate the same feeling through pu.

I've posted side and back...and a previous vid (there are many :eek:) where your reminding me to depress shoulder. I'm adding it as a comparison for myself...I see the kick upward of the the shoulder as I push up. That is what I'm working to eliminate.  Thanks as always...

 

hey Vanessa, the side view with the white T-shirt has very nice execution...

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro 

Vid from today's session for feedback.

Thanks

 

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro 

Vid from today's training session attached.

If your happy with my form I will stay at this incline for a few more sessions and then will decrease incline a bit more and build back up to 5x15, ensuring I maintain good form.

 

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi Alessandro 

Vid from today's training session attached.

If your happy with my form I will stay at this incline for a few more sessions and then will decrease incline a bit more and build back up to 5x15, ensuring I maintain good form.

 

they are ok....i still think that you can reach higher on the upper body....sternum height...

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro 

Vid from today's session. I focussed on your feedback  Eg height through sternum as I push through to end rom....and as always keeping those damn shoulders down! I hope that's right anyway...?

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 11/2/2022 at 12:40 AM, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi Alessandro 

Vid from today's session. I focussed on your feedback  Eg height through sternum as I push through to end rom....and as always keeping those damn shoulders down! I hope that's right anyway...?

 

exactly ike that!

Vanessa Hunt

Hi Alessandro 

Here is the last set of 5x15 at this incline level.

If your happy with form will decrease incline.

Thanks

 

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hi Alessandro 

Here is the last set of 5x15 at this incline level.

If your happy with form will decrease incline.

Thanks

 

perfect!

Vanessa Hunt

Hello

I've decreased incline. Just checking form before progressing in reps. Thanks

 

Alessandro Mainente
9 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:

Hello

I've decreased incline. Just checking form before progressing in reps. Thanks

 

Hey Vanessa, ou do not need to reach so low on the upper body (i mean whi hans so close to the belly button) so move the feet backward 10 cm...

Vanessa Hunt

Got it thanks Alessandro

Vanessa Hunt

Hello

Just checking in on form as I progress with reps?