Split static workout

Started by junior, June 21, 2010 · 9 Replies · 3,891 Views

junior

I wonder if its better to split the static workout. Like doing FL/BL and other exercises on M/T T/F, and then do HS, planche and Pseudo planche pushups on Wed/Sat/Sun.

It´s very hard to do all statics with full effort on the same day. Especially the planche work. I progress at FL and BL but stay stuck on tuck planche.

Thanks for help.

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is to wait until you have achieved 3x30 sec L-sit on the floor before beginning PL work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Libke

In progressing to the 3X30 L sits on the floor, would it be better to hold a tuck for 30 seconds, then progress to the full L-sit in stages, or to hold an L-sit for as long as possible, and progress by increasing the time?

Coach Sommer

You should work thru the various progressions until you finally arrive at a 3x30sec L-sit on the floor.

Performed correctly, the L-sit on the PB should be no different than one performed on the floor. However performing them on the floor eliminates the possibility of the L-sit being below horizontal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

junior

Thanks, i´ll try them out today. I have had a rupture in m. iliopsoas, but will see if this exercise will work.

Cole Dano

If you have a ruptured Iliopsoas be VERY careful with L sits!!!!

Coach Sommer

With a previous history of Iliopsoas rupture, my recommendation is that you first receive medical clearance and then complete a prescribed physical therapy regimen before inserting any type of demanding core strength work into your training.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

junior

Thanks, i am doing physical therapy now, and its getting better. Static workouts work, but dynamic work as well but not to heavy and to many repetitions. Especially running is no good. But i´ll guess i´ll wait. But tuck planche workes fine, can hold a 12sec max tuck planche. Is it recommended to continue planche work?

Since i ask about training, is there an appropriate number of dynamic exercises to couple with static work? Is 1 for every day enough?

Joshua Naterman

For your planche you will probably benefit the most from long advanced frog holds. I am not sure what coach says about people who have a borderline time like that, but to me I would prefer that you work multiple sets of 45s+ advanced frog for a while just to make sure your bicep tendon is conditioned thoroughly. I'd probably put in 1 max tuck PL hold per week or every other week, just to gauge progress. Does that make sense? What is your current PL training regimen?

If you're curious about pairing dynamic work with the statics, I'd suggest checking out the WODS and performing what you can each day without aggravating your injury. That may mean heavy modification, but within reason I would try to stick to the format. For example, for a dynamic upper body day I'd still do upper body work, with an explosive concentric, since you won't be doing swinging dips.

Does that help at all or is that off topic to you?

Julekman
For your planche you will probably benefit the most from long advanced frog holds

I agree with that. People often pushing too quick in progression, and jump over frog stand direct to tuck planche (me too). But then I was stuck on 15 sec tuck planche (not so good form) and I feel tired. Than I go back, leave planch for future time and focus on Handstand, BL l sit and frog (advanced) stand, and guess what, after a while, just for curiosity I try tuck planche and hold 15 sec with good form and no problem (I can do more). But my focus is still the same because I am satisfied with results of slowly and steady training progress.