This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Re-building Shoes Magoo's Body

Started by Michael Jordan, May 13, 2008 · 47 Replies · 5,369 Views

Michael Jordan

Hello, all. Although I have kept a workout log on the ringtraining site for almost two years now which I will continue to keep, I like this site too much to not record my progress here. Find the logic in that wherever you can.

Anywho, I am 6'1", 170lbs, 25 years old, and male. I have a background in bboying and martial arts and have been completely enthusiastic (obsessed) with gymnastics training and conditioning for a couple of years. This enthusiasm seems to increase with the more I learn. I suffered a knee injury almost a year ago, so I haven't been able to do any kind of leg conditioning, tumbling, dancing, running, or jumping for a very long time. A nagging elbow injury has kept me back from upper body work for about 6 months now, and I have finally come to the point that I can work my upper half again. In fact, today was my first rings/pull up bar workout since November. My immediate goal is to increase my level of fitness to what it was a year ago, and continue to develop my body toward athletic perfection afterward. I am particularly interested in developing strength and power as it relates to performing bboying, martial arts, and of course gymnastics. I'd like to also learn to swing pommel horse and high bar, but they will have to wait until I can find access to those pieces of equipment.

My workout from today was:

-Joint prep and stretchband work.

-Ring dips: 3x4.

-Bar pullups: 3x4.

-V ups: 3x10.

And that's the whole of it. I will gradually increase my workload until I regain my previous strength, focusing intensely on not injuring myself.

Michael Jordan

Wednesday

Joint prep and stretchband work.

-Ring dips: 3x4.

-Pullups: 3x4.

-Ring pushups with feet on floor: 3x4.

-Ring rows: 3x4.

-V ups: 1x10, 2x15.

Michael Jordan

Friday

Joint prep/stretchband work.

-Ring dips: 3x4.

-Pullups: 3x4.

-HS holds on parallettes: Spent maybe 12 or so minutes working them off and on.

-Inv pullups: 3x4.

-V ups: 2x10, 2x15.

Michael Jordan

Monday

Joint prep/stretchband work.

-Ring dips: 3x5.

-Pullups: 3x5.

-Parallette series 5s at each hold: 3x1 tuck sit~tuck planche~l sit~tuck planche.

-Ring rows: 3x5.

Michael Jordan

Thursday

Joint prep/stretchband work.

-Ring dips: 3x5.

-Pullups: 3x5.

-HS on parallettes: on and off for several minutes.

-Inv pullups: 3x5.

-Max v ups.

Michael Jordan

Saturday

Lawn mowing warm up.

-Ring dips: 3x5.

-Pullups: 3x5.

-Parallette set L sit~Tuck planche~Tuck sit~ Tuck planche, 5s each hold: 3x1.

Monday

Joint prep

-Ring dips: 1x5, 2x3, 1x4, 1x3.

-Pullups: 6x3.

-Ring Pushups, feet on mushroom: 2x3, 2x6.

-Ring rows: 2x3, 2x6.

-Parallette L sit and tucked sit: played around in the holds on and off for a few minutes.

Michael Jordan

Wednesday

Joint prep/stretchband work.

-Ring dips: 6x3.

-Pullups: 6x3.

-HS on parallettes: a few minutes off and on.

-Inv pullups: 6x3.

-L sits: 6x10s.

Michael Jordan

Friday

Joint prep/sband work

-Ring Dips: 6x3. Been turning the rings out as I push up.

-Pullups: 6x3. Been doing these with a narrow grip, trying to keep my right shoulder from flaring up.

-Ring pushups, feet on mushroom: 6x3.

-Ring rows, feet on mushroom: 6x3.

-Parallette tuck sit: 6x10s.

Michael Jordan

Monday

Joitn prep and stretchband work.

-Ring dips: 5x4.

-Pullups: 5x4.

-Ring pushups feet on mushroom: 5x4. Pointed the rings forward here.

-Ring rows: 5x4.

-L sits: 6x12s.

Michael Jordan

Wednesday

Joint prep/band work.

-Ring Dips: 5x4.

-Pullups: 5x4.

-HS on parallettes: several holds for time.

-Inv pullups: 4x4.

-Tuck sits: 6x12s.

Michael Jordan

Friday

Joint prep/band work.

-Ring Dips: 5x4.

-Pullups: 5x4.

-Ring pushups feet on mushroom: 5x4.

-Ring rows feet on mushroom: 5x4.

-L sits: 6x12s.

Michael Jordan

Tuesday

-joint prep/band work.

-Ring dips: 5x5.

-Pullups: 5x5.

-Ring pushups feet on mushroom: 5x5.

-Ring rows feet on mushroom: 5x5.

-L sits: 6x15s.

Michael Jordan

Thursday

Joint prep/band work.

-Ring dips: 5x5.

-Pullups: 5x5.

-HS on parallettes for time.

-Inv pullups: 4x5.

-Tuck sits: 6x15s.

Michael Jordan

Saturday

Joint prep.

-Ring dips: 5x5.

-Pullups: 5x5.

-Ring pushups feet on mushroom: 5x5.

-Ring rows: 5x5.

-L sit holds: 6x15s.

Michael Jordan

Monday

Joint prep.

-Ring dips: 3x5.

-Pullups: 3x5.

-Ring pushups feet on mushroom: 3x5.

-Ring rows feet on mushroom: 3x5.

-L sit: 1x15s.

Michael Jordan

Wednesday

Joint prep

-Ring dips: 3x5.

-Pullups: 3x5.

-HS on parallettes for time.

-Inv pullups: 3x3.

-Tuck sit: 1x15s.

StevenJ

Just curious, I've noticed you always do joint prep before your workouts, what does that usually consist of for you?

Michael Jordan

It consists of the movements in the book Super Joints. Basically moving all of your joints through their full circular ranges of motion in both directions 20 or more times. Usually I do all of my joints, but as I have only been working my upper body due to my knee injury, I have been excluding my legs.

Michael Jordan

Friday

Joint prep.

-Ring dips: 3x5.

-Pullups: 3x5.

-Ring pushups feet on mushroom: 3x5.

-Ring rows feet on mushroom: 3x5.

-L st on parallettes: 1x15s.

Michael Jordan

Tuesday

-Joint prep.

-Bulgarian dips: 4x5.

-Pullups: 4x5. I had been doing these with a narrower grip in order to keep from aggravating my shoulder. I should be good to do them with my grip one and one half hand space farther apart at this point, and will be doing them until otherwise noted.

-Ring PPP: 4x5. These will be with feet on mushroom until otherwise noted. At this point the rings are halfway to hip level and pointed forward. I have some catching up to do.

-FG Ring Rows: 4x5. We shall see how my elbows fare with these.

-L sits: 4x20s. These will be on parallettes until I can comfortably hold a full 60s.

Michael Jordan

Thursday

-Joint prep. This now includes dynamic active flexibility for my legs and inner/outer wrist pushup variations.

-BG dips: 4x5.

-Pullups: 4x5.

-HS on parallettes for time.

-Inv Pullups: 4x5.

-Tuck sits: 4x20s.

Michael Jordan

Saturday

Joint prep.

-BG Dips: 4x5.

-Pullups: 4x5.

-Ring PPP: 4x5.

-FG Rows: 4x5.

-L sits: 4x20s.

Michael Jordan

Tuesday

-Joint prep.

-BG Dips: 5x5.

-Pullups: 5x5.

Michael Jordan

Friday

Joit prep.

-BG Dips: 5x5.

-Pullups: 5x5.

-L sits: 4x20s.

My buddie has been in town and I haven't seen him in over a year and a half. Got cut short this week on the first workout, was going to do the second half the next day but after festivities I was wiped out until Friday. Decided to just do two short workouts this week at roughly half the anticipated volume. Will do a full week of full volume next week as originaly planned. I suppose the extra rest probably benefits me since I am on a come-back. It's not always easy to tell when I need to hold off on adding volume and solidify gains.

Michael Jordan

Monday

Back on track.

-Joint prep/sb work.

-BG Dips: 5x5.

-Pullups: 5x5.

-Hs on pllts for time.

-Inv Pullups: 5x5.

-Tuck sits: 4x25s.

Contrast showers have now regained their previous level of usefulness.