This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE15 - Negative front pull

Started by Awais Muzaffar, February 6, 2022 · 30 Replies · 411 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hi coaches, 

Here are a couple of attempts, just singles for now, holding a front lever even for a fraction of second feels very tough currently :

set 1

set 2

set 3

The height of the bar is limited, but I think the main thing is to be able to control till horiziontal.

PS: Sorry for the awkward camera angle.

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi coaches, 

Here are a couple of attempts, just singles for now, holding a front lever even for a fraction of second feels very tough currently :

set 1

set 2

set 3

The height of the bar is limited, but I think the main thing is to be able to control till horiziontal.

PS: Sorry for the awkward camera angle.

Probably you should redistribute the speed on the medium-lowest part. do you mind if i ask you why are you wearing forearm support?

Awais Muzaffar

Hey Alessandro, for last 10 days I’ve been experiencing bicep tendonitis like pain. Maybe from TOPS pull/ring muscle up OR also got punched repeatedly in that arm (boxing session) which cause some damage.

Past few days it felt better after ice packs  and taking ibuprofen, so I decided to resume training today with some support.

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey Alessandro, for last 10 days I’ve been experiencing bicep tendonitis like pain. Maybe from TOPS pull/ring muscle up OR also got punched repeatedly in that arm (boxing session) which cause some damage.

Past few days it felt better after ice packs  and taking ibuprofen, so I decided to resume training today with some support.

 

My suggestion is to stop with everything that can cause pain. the box is a sport with a generic plyometric movement where the biceps is strongly involved, and you must add the load of the GST. ALso, i noticed that you tend to bend the elbows in the second part of the movement while the elbow should stay locked out. ibuprofen will make the pain even harder...

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks. The boxing was a one-off session, but it looks like it may have caused some damage while I had the load of GST too.

I will need to take it easy with bent arm pulling for now, but thank God, straight arm, front lever work did not cause any issues.

Finally I'll ease off the ibuprofen...

Awais Muzaffar

Hey... so, reduced leverage (half lay) with rings, as it gives me some height to work from:

side-view

angled-view

I'm focusing to keep my elbows locked, and hips extended. Not sure about my rate of descent.

Thanks,
 

Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey... so, reduced leverage (half lay) with rings, as it gives me some height to work from:

side-view

angled-view

I'm focusing to keep my elbows locked, and hips extended. Not sure about my rate of descent.

Thanks,
 

Hey Awais... the second one has a lovely form!

Awais Muzaffar

Hey coaches, 

Here are two sets with 2 reps each, do I have the right movement pattern?

video 1 / more controlled descent
video 2 / Tired after few sets, so descent becomes faster

Sometimes I feel thre is a micro-bend in my elbows.

5x5 feels like a dream, it's very fatiguing on triceps, lats, scaps. Front pull - I can't even think about that!

Thanks :)

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey coaches, 

Here are two sets with 2 reps each, do I have the right movement pattern?

video 1 / more controlled descent
video 2 / Tired after few sets, so descent becomes faster

Sometimes I feel thre is a micro-bend in my elbows.

5x5 feels like a dream, it's very fatiguing on triceps, lats, scaps. Front pull - I can't even think about that!

Thanks :)

It is ok....at the point where no bend is presented....is straight arms work.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey coaches - so I can now slow my descent to about 10 seconds as demonstrated on 1st rep here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPemEN5R-w

However, I'm finding a 10 second descent unsustainale for multiple reps and sets. 

Is there a minimum recommended rate of descent for 5x5 mastery?

Thank you,

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey coaches - so I can now slow my descent to about 10 seconds as demonstrated on 1st rep here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwPemEN5R-w

However, I'm finding a 10 second descent unsustainale for multiple reps and sets. 

Is there a minimum recommended rate of descent for 5x5 mastery?

Thank you,

Hey Awais, well you can use an intermediate step....i mean complete the 5x5 with 5'' negative.....then build it up to 8, then 10...

Awais Muzaffar

I tried this on a bar today (with legs extended) - The straight bar is making the starting position much harder!
 

Do you get the impression my arms bend? Mentally I’m squeezing my triceps hard and trying to pull the bar to the hips.

Thanks!

PS: I realised my wrists were in too much flexion too.

Alessandro Mainente
On 4/17/2022 at 12:56 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

I tried this on a bar today (with legs extended) - The straight bar is making the starting position much harder!
 

Do you get the impression my arms bend? Mentally I’m squeezing my triceps hard and trying to pull the bar to the hips.

Thanks!

PS: I realised my wrists were in too much flexion too.

Hey Awais yes they re bent also, you should not ude wrists flexion.

Awais Muzaffar

One more try: 

if it’s still not good enough, I might need to scale back.

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

One more try: 

if it’s still not good enough, I might need to scale back.

Thanks!

 

 

 

 

 

 

you do not have tiny legs, for you working on leverage especially with a variation where you can perform at least 6 reps in a row can be very benficial, then begin with 2 reps..

Awais Muzaffar

Just one quick question about any FL variation. Should I focus on adduction of shoulder blades and press the shoulders back, to fight against the affect of gravity and go from fully protracted to some protracted (closer to neutral)?

If that is the case, for me personally the adduction of shoulder blades in the horziontal position feels really hard with locked elbows. So perhaps there is a strength defecit in that area.

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Just one quick question about any FL variation. Should I focus on adduction of shoulder blades and press the shoulders back, to fight against the affect of gravity and go from fully protracted to some protracted (closer to neutral)?

If that is the case, for me personally the adduction of shoulder blades in the horziontal position feels really hard with locked elbows. So perhaps there is a strength defecit in that area.

 

Hi Awais..it is the opposite of planche. in planche do not le yourself fall in between your arms, this can lead to a full bodyweigth supported by connective tissute of the joint capsule. on the opposite on front lever strive to adduct the necessary to hold the upper arm in the neutral position.

Awais Muzaffar

For the benefit of anybody reading; I think my biggest mistake was not using the right amount of adduction (sometimes not at all). This is also what probably led to my subscapularis become irritated. 

Now that I hold the adduction better than before, I can keep arms locked and feel it in my elbows more than tricep/rotator cuff area.
 

 

Alessandro Mainente
On 5/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Awais Muzaffar said:

For the benefit of anybody reading; I think my biggest mistake was not using the right amount of adduction (sometimes not at all). This is also what probably led to my subscapularis become irritated. 

Now that I hold the adduction better than before, I can keep arms locked and feel it in my elbows more than tricep/rotator cuff area.
 

 

correct.....one mistake of front lever is "to let your body drop in between your arms".

Awais Muzaffar

I feel like I've finally resolved the issue with locked elbows AND no more flexed wrists; I guess for me the next step will now be to focus on building volume.
 

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

I feel like I've finally resolved the issue with locked elbows AND no more flexed wrists; I guess for me the next step will now be to focus on building volume.
 

 

good news-..for the rest i suggest to perform the full negative and in order to reach back the top position using a jump so that you do not waste energy.

Awais Muzaffar

And I finally got a nicely controlled eccentric in the full position :)

 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

And I finally got a nicely controlled eccentric in the full position :)

 

probably you already have full front lever if you speed up a bit the negatie in the first part...

Awais Muzaffar

Thanks! Will defenitly try for sure :)