This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE1>iM

Started by Awais Muzaffar, November 29, 2020 · 25 Replies · 297 Views

Awais Muzaffar

Hey coaches, so the good thing is I feel like I've got the upper body strength to hold this mobility exercise. 

I'm not 100% there yet, but I can hold myself in a forward lean with hips open and extended. Still need practice in pushing the legs out and up.

Video from my first set of attempts

- Looking back; hips are higher than shoulders. Do I extend the legs and then start leveling up the hips and shoulders?
- And anything else I should fix up now?

Thanks as always.

PS: Just started working on the PPPU from the hbp series (aiming to keep forward lean at all times)

Alessandro Mainente
40 minutes ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey coaches, so the good thing is I feel like I've got the upper body strength to hold this mobility exercise. 

I'm not 100% there yet, but I can hold myself in a forward lean with hips open and extended. Still need practice in pushing the legs out and up.

Video from my first set of attempts

- Looking back; hips are higher than shoulders. Do I extend the legs and then start leveling up the hips and shoulders?
- And anything else you I should fix up now?

Thanks as always.

PS: Just started working on the PPPU from the hbp series (aiming to keep forward lean at all times)

hey Awais, the video is set on "private".

Awais Muzaffar

Apologies Alessandro - This is now set to "unlisted".

Awais Muzaffar

Also I just saw your really good video on how to set up the legs to get into the required half straddle position easier. I must try that as the way I currently do it (similar to your first example can get a little bit confusing!)

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Also I just saw your really good video on how to set up the legs to get into the required half straddle position easier. I must try that as the way I currently do it (similar to your first example can get a little bit confusing!)

hI Awais, the current mistake in your attempt is that you are tyring to increase the leverage and pretending ti to do it without increasing the amount of lean. In the case of bent arm straddle planche we do not have too much difference with normal planche the lower body moves off from the floor because you increase the lean.

Awais Muzaffar

Oh wow I see what you mean. I played the video again and I can see what you are seeing, I created some height and then tipped forward (leverage as you say) rather than me leaning really forward.

Awais Muzaffar

So this video is my best effort currently. I'm now making the effort to lean more and also extended to the half straddle position.

I still need to place my hips lower on the initial entry.

This also feels like a balancing act!

Awais Muzaffar

A few videos from today's session:

video 1
video 2
video 3

Staying in the hold for a few seconds is challenging (probably a balance, weight shift issue too). Do I just keep doing this and will build up the strength gradually (along with the PPPU)? I guess this strategy will only work if my positioning is correct in the first place, which I'm still unsure about.

Is the lean better?
 

Alessandro Mainente
19 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

A few videos from today's session:

video 1
video 2
video 3

Staying in the hold for a few seconds is challenging (probably a balance, weight shift issue too). Do I just keep doing this and will build up the strength gradually (along with the PPPU)? I guess this strategy will only work if my positioning is correct in the first place, which I'm still unsure about.

Is the lean better?
 

Yes, but it can be improved..i had in the past a bad idea with my gymnasts...i was used to putting a mat which has the same height as the bar exactly under the place where my chin will move after the lean...what is this purpose? you cannot move the head lower and lower in order to lift the body ..you have then only one choice...LEAN.

Awais Muzaffar

Ok got it. I need to lean more. It seems the bottom of the PPPU will defenitly help in this area. 
 

Awais Muzaffar

Okay, so this was from my recent session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVv3CLDFxoU

I'm aiming to get my forearms at an inclined angle (they were more straight before) - this is the most lean I can do! 

I think I over extended my hips a little too much half way through.

If this is good, I'll start aiming to hold this shape for longer periods of time.

Thank you

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Okay, so this was from my recent session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVv3CLDFxoU

I'm aiming to get my forearms at an inclined angle (they were more straight before) - this is the most lean I can do! 

I think I over extended my hips a little too much half way through.

If this is good, I'll start aiming to hold this shape for longer periods of time.

Thank you

Yes and again YES. nicely done.

Awais Muzaffar

Thank you sir! Good to know it's going in the right direction, I can now focus on this properly.

Awais Muzaffar

Hey all, so I feel like I've hit a plateau with this: 

video 1

video 2

I can do about 7-8 seconds, after that muscle and technical failure. How do you guys overcome plateau in these sorts of isometric holds?

Thanks,

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hey all, so I feel like I've hit a plateau with this: 

video 1

video 2

I can do about 7-8 seconds, after that muscle and technical failure. How do you guys overcome plateau in these sorts of isometric holds?

Thanks,

Hey Awais...first video...10 seconds mark is the goal...now try to reduce the amount of energy that you spend on reaching the position...

Awais Muzaffar

Right, so using this entry I can hold the following position for 10-15 seconds in various sets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_IcIylk40

Key points for me are:
- Strong protraction before starting
- Using triceps and lats to hold up
- Start to level the torso between arms after floating

Awais Muzaffar

Just one final question about positioning; I have noticed two distinct ways the arms are positioned, observe the diagram below:

bent-arm-half-planche-diag.png.b368f82427d4993bffd3068f91d3298f.png

For me personally, when I'm holding, most of the time my arms are more like in figure B:

476337092_Screenshot2021-02-14at20_06_39.png.31f67f73ebbdf35cbcc41b150f206798.png

Figure A, is like the bottom position of a deep push-up (note the elbows above the torso, perhaps there is even more lean) which to me is a more challenging position to hold; The athlete in the course library video holds it as per figure A.

Is figure A the perfect position to hold? Should I strive to make it more like that, or am I thinking unnecessarily?

Thanks as always.

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Just one final question about positioning; I have noticed two distinct ways the arms are positioned, observe the diagram below:

bent-arm-half-planche-diag.png.b368f82427d4993bffd3068f91d3298f.png

For me personally, when I'm holding, most of the time my arms are more like in figure B:

476337092_Screenshot2021-02-14at20_06_39.png.31f67f73ebbdf35cbcc41b150f206798.png

Figure A, is like the bottom position of a deep push-up (note the elbows above the torso, perhaps there is even more lean) which to me is a more challenging position to hold; The athlete in the course library video holds it as per figure A.

Is figure A the perfect position to hold? Should I strive to make it more like that, or am I thinking unnecessarily?

Thanks as always.

For now, we can say that A is not necessary. As you increase the leverage into straddle position since the only way is to lean more...the A will be the basic requirement.

Awais Muzaffar

Hi Coaches,

I'm going to have to scale back from SE3 my current progression. I've picked up bad habits with my hips, perhaps I rushed this:

This is my current SE1 iM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRiWxbk6thg

I am happy with the open hips here; I think I should have leaned more, as I am using a bit of leverage.

Thanks,

Awais

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi Coaches,

I'm going to have to scale back from SE3 my current progression. I've picked up bad habits with my hips, perhaps I rushed this:

This is my current SE1 iM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRiWxbk6thg

I am happy with the open hips here; I think I should have leaned more, as I am using a bit of leverage.

Thanks,

Awais

NOT bad! nice improvements on the form. now try to reach lower with hips so that you can understand WHEN shoulder hips and knees are aligned.

Awais Muzaffar

Good point; Because I only understood this after watching the video; so I need to build that awareness of shoulders/hips/knees.

Thanks again!

Awais Muzaffar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbtmE5ku50

Hips more lower; I think PPT is also better. Maybe hips tiny bit closed, because of new adjustments and straddle.

Would be good to see your feedback!
 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbtmE5ku50

Hips more lower; I think PPT is also better. Maybe hips tiny bit closed, because of new adjustments and straddle.

Would be good to see your feedback!
 

i think that you have memorized a bad habit: raising the hips rather than lean. This is a common mistake. My idea for you is not to begin with knees on the floor and open hips and lean until you can leave the knees from the floor.

Awais Muzaffar

Yes, I need to unlearn this habit.... I'll also try with your suggested method.