Hi coaches
Form check on push ups thanks
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Vanessa Hunt, October 18, 2020 · 30 Replies · 348 Views
Hi coaches
Form check on push ups thanks
19 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Hi coaches
Form check on push ups thanks
Hey Vanessa, notice that exactly when you begin to reverse the movement from the bottom to the top shoulders moves closer to the ears, this means a lack of depression. you must avoid it, in the long terns, the rotator cuff can begin to suffer.
Ok yep see it thank you will focus on keeping them depressed.
Hello with keeping shoulders depressed in mind, is this looking better? Sorry about the lighting...
You're headed in the right direction. You are still shrugging your shoulders a little bit at the bottom of your reps, but it is better than your last set that you posted. Keep up the good work!
17 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Hello with keeping shoulders depressed in mind, is this looking better? Sorry about the lighting...
Jeffrey noticed is also. a good solution is having one day of the week where you stay on 4-5 set x 2 reps and you make slow concentric in the portion where shoulders are normally shrugged. this is a solution because slow movements lead to real-time correction opportunity.
Thanks Jeffrey and Alessandro I will try your suggestion. Cheers
Hi coaches
I've been working on trying to maintain shoulder depression throughout pu by adding in concentric reps as suggested and have built up to x15.
How does it look?
3 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Hi coaches
I've been working on trying to maintain shoulder depression throughout pu by adding in concentric reps as suggested and have built up to x15.
How does it look?
Hey Vanessa, the first reps are good...as you progress through the set you tend to lose depression. my suggestion is adding 3-4 sets on 2-3 reps where you focus on slow ascent movement and using the slow tempo to feel the shoulder depressed. it is more technical work.
Hi coaches
I've been adding in 3-4 sets of 2 reps of slow ascents to better get the feel of and maintain shoulder depression.
Can I please have feedback on form? Thanks
47 minutes ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Hi coaches
I've been adding in 3-4 sets of 2 reps of slow ascents to better get the feel of and maintain shoulder depression.
Can I please have feedback on form? Thanks
hey Vanessa, i think that during the descent part there are no problems..while when beginning the ascent the shoulders move closer to the ears to soon...you should work this way: if you depress the shoulder at the bottom what are you feeling? try to feel this sensation always during the ascent part....if you cannot feel it..shoulder depression is gone.
Ok I will keep working on it. I think I'm going to approach each rep more carefully. I will set and depress shoulders before ascending.
Hello
I just did a session of trying to work on ascending carefully with setting depression of shoulders.
Can I have feedback please.
1 hour ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Hello
I just did a session of trying to work on ascending carefully with setting depression of shoulders.
Can I have feedback please.
First 2 reps are better...still a bit of it like at 29 seconds. you must link yourself to sensations...what do you feel when you move down into the bottom position? it's like hearing a song in the background when someone talks to you....the song is the depression, the talk is the pushup.
Honestly I feel like I'm working so hard to keep shoulders depressed....I've got someone screaming it in my ears on the down and the up!
Am I destined to ever get it? Should I regress to previous level and reassess?
23 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Honestly I feel like I'm working so hard to keep shoulders depressed....I've got someone screaming it in my ears on the down and the up!
Am I destined to ever get it? Should I regress to previous level and reassess?
I know that it is hard, but it is definitely possible. You can try to reduce the range of movement to half rom...and see how it goes...try it and post some reps here...then i'll give you a strategy!
Hi Alessandro
I worked P/U at 1/2 rom today keeping depression of shoulders front of mind.
When we talk about connecting with sensation of depressing of shoulders to be clear I'm focusing on connecting with muscles at bottom of scap pulling it down eg lats, serratus.
1 hour ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Hi Alessandro
I worked P/U at 1/2 rom today keeping depression of shoulders front of mind.
When we talk about connecting with sensation of depressing of shoulders to be clear I'm focusing on connecting with muscles at bottom of scap pulling it down eg lats, serratus.
perfect..this rom is for you. a good way to build up more rom is using something under the chest that you can touch...so that you have a clear reference.
Thanks so much Alessandro I will work with this
Hello coaches
I've been doing 1/2 rom p/u as suggested by Alessandro to work on strengthening depression and maintaining sensation on ascent. Ive slowly built back up to 15 reps.
How am I going?
9 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Hello coaches
I've been doing 1/2 rom p/u as suggested by Alessandro to work on strengthening depression and maintaining sensation on ascent. Ive slowly built back up to 15 reps.
How am I going?
Hi Vanessa, can you notice where are still elevating? is not easy to correct it, many many many many many man and women have this deficit, the main solution is to slow down the first part of the ascent movement focusing on feeling the depression.
Sadly yes, I do notice. And it's frustrating as hell....
The frustration is so much so its turning me away from wanting to work on it....it's been a few years now I've been at this...
It's probably breaking protocol here but is it possible while continue with correcting push ups I can begin to work on A4 bench dips? (I have no desire to begin A3 planche pus for obvious reasons)
I know depression of shoulders is required here...I'd like to incorporate as I'm then working on depression of shoulders with a different exercise and just gives me another movement to focus on and not just pu ??
Thoughts?
22 hours ago, Vanessa Hunt said:Sadly yes, I do notice. And it's frustrating as hell....
The frustration is so much so its turning me away from wanting to work on it....it's been a few years now I've been at this...
It's probably breaking protocol here but is it possible while continue with correcting push ups I can begin to work on A4 bench dips? (I have no desire to begin A3 planche pus for obvious reasons)
I know depression of shoulders is required here...I'd like to incorporate as I'm then working on depression of shoulders with a different exercise and just gives me another movement to focus on and not just pu ??
Thoughts?
The main risk is that the loss of depression basically affect the amount of shoulder conditioning. if you cannot hold the depression here there is low chances of doing it properly on pseudo planche pushup. probably for you the main work should be done ONLY on the ascending phase with slow execution. keep in mind that strength is a skills, is not something that happens like magic , if you expose yourself to the correct stimuli then strength and technique improve. so i have some question for you:
1) are you trying to match external focus (depression) with internal focus (sensation that depression gives to you)?
2) are you training with mirros? if you do not get istantaneous correction the only solution is having visual feedback.
3) have you tried to work with "time method"? try this: firts set20'' of work, use a mirror, now perform the ascent part of the pushup, everytime you see that you are losing the depression then stop in the exact posittion, depress the scapulae and continue the movement...nobody here can tell you many time you need to freeze-and-correct...simply do it as many time is necessary on the ascent part of a rep until the reps is completed. time over time you will see that in the 20'' you can complete more reps and this means less correction. when you begin from the bottom position remind that intensity is the main factor affecting strength, so slow down the amount of strength you need to move off from the elvated support...it is like a starting rocked , it is not a 0 to 1000 acceleration, is gradually increased to tht as the perceived weigth increases you can have better control.
your main goal shoulde be PERFORM ONLY CORRECT REPETITIONS. there is no space for almost correct.
you must film yourself every reps, look at the mirror while you are doing your workout. there is no other solution. trust me.
this is a 58 years old student of mine. it took to me 1 year and half to rebuild completely the pushup.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cce4-cIqqUR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
As always thanks for your feedback Alessandro -
I do not train with a mirror but understand what you are saying with need to match internal and external focus and using mirror to support this.
I will begin again with p/us focusing on ascending using timed effort 20secs, correcting as I go, as you have suggested.
I will also start to post weekly training videos of p/u this might also help...
Hi Vanessa, Alex also pulled me up for the lack of shoulder depression recently. What I'm finding has helped is I've gone back from 5x15 (which I finally achieved), back to 3x6. And the first thing I do is get into a knee push-up position, depress my shoulders as hard as I can, and then protract as hard as I can, and only after I've done this do I move the rest of my body into the pushup position on my feet, ensuring I also maintain a good PPT. I haven't posted a video yet, but since doing this I have found the orientation of my upper body is significantly different to before, so you will definitely know when you're getting it exactly right.
I did also find that depressing my shoulders when as it turns out, I'm not used to it, it's quite uncomfortable to do while my body gets used to it.
You might also benefit from holding a straight-arm plank position (which is the top of the push-up) focusing on your PPT, scapular depression and protraction. Your body probably needs time to adapt to what is probably a very strange and new position for it.
I've also been working on these push ups for a few years now (along with almost everything else) so I feel your frustration for sure! I actually paid for an annual membership so I could start working on Restore and Fundamentals to really dial in on my mobility deficits.