Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tell us about the seminar!

Neal Winkler

Kit Laughlin

Hello Bobby,

See you there. You will definitely need to take notes of your own, and lots of them!

Cameras or video are not allowed, but we were provided with notebooks and pens, and everyone made lots of notes. I recommend hooking up with someone local, too, so that after the workshop you can go over the notes together while you practice. cheers, kl

Thanks Kit. I'll do my best and should probably brush up on basic terminology so I know what I'm making notes on.

Does the Graduate Studies sub forum contain further resources or is it mainly discussions by people who've attended a seminar?

I'm really looking forward to this. See you there

Kit Laughlin

Bobby asked:

Does the Graduate Studies sub forum contain further resources or is it mainly discussions by people who've attended a seminar?

Both, as I understand it, but I have not used it yet myself. Coach did encourage us to use this for any discussion on the new material he presented at the last GB seminar, though, so I intend to get on to this once I have answered the 900+ emails in my in box...

:roll:

Josh Schmitter

Hello all,

Just paid for my Sept. seminar coming up in a few months...needless to say, very happy about that. Also if anyone(or 6) is into sharing a room, I'm down. Will gladly sleep on the floor as well :).

Edit: Disregard seminar schedule typos comment as they are now, and perhaps always were, nonexistent.

Edit2: Have a room at the Hampton Friday, Aug31st through Monday, Sept. 3rd. if anyone's interested.

Craig Mallett

Looking forward to working on some of my weaknesses with the coach's help in the July Seminar! I've come along a fair way since I couldn't even do a front lever tuck at the seminar in September last year :S

+1 on what Yuri said also

• 2 months later...
Charles Huang

Hi All,

Newbie on the forums here. I booked my spot in the Sept seminar, really looking forward to it!

TANSTAAFL, if you have space left, I'd love to share the room.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Charlie Reid

Hey all,

I wanted to say thanks to Coach Sommer and all the crew that helped out for a great weekend of learning. It is by far the best seminar i've been to. As a fitness professional working in the field for almost 10 years, i've seen my fair share of continuing education and nothing compares to the learning i've experienced this weekend. The milestones and progressions that Coach Sommer has outlined are the most well thought i've experienced across any physical discipline. I relate this to a high-level billiards player. A top notch pool player can visualize exactly where every ball is going immediately after the break. One of the highest marks of a coach is the ability to look at an athlete/trainee and know what milestones need to be achieved before it is appropriate to progress to the next level. This takes years of refinement of course. In contrast, much of the fitness industry sells quick 6-week "muscle building" programs or fancy exercise variations all in the attempt to provide enterTRAINment for an audience that has little patience for working through the basic building blocks of progressive training. Thanks for providing such a well-thought out template for achieving what many seem impossible. Oh, and it sure is humbling to have my ass handed to me all weekend by a 9 year old little girl. Back to work!

Cheers,

Charlie

• Upvote 5

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hi guys! To those who already went to a gb seminar, what do i need to bring? can i bring a camera? notebook, pen, recorder? :)

Joshua Slocum

hi guys! To those who already went to a gb seminar, what do i need to bring? can i bring a camera? notebook, pen, recorder? :)

Bring workout clothes, something to take notes with, and a bottle of water. I think cameras are OK, but don't quote me on that. 

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
Sean Murphey

Hey im attending the seminar in Chicago coming up. Any hotels or hostel recommendations? 

Also, i am just beginning foundations (will be about a month into F1 come seminar time) from a background in weightlifting and general strength training. Im sure i am going to get alot out of the seminar, but are there certain things i should know beyond foundations that would benefit me to know going into the seminar? 

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

THANKS!!

To Coach and Orench, thank you so much for the incredible seminar at my facility here at CrossFit San Diego.  I may start carrying a monitor around with me everywhere I go :)

I've been around Coach and GB for some time, took about 4 years off when I had my first kid.  So happy and inspired to be back in the fold again.  The amazing thing about Coach is that I learn so much EVERYTIME I'm around him.  And I think that is because he isn't passive, he continues to educate and re-tool as well.  Such a great mentor we have.

And Orench is simply impressive, smart, humble, driven...everything a champion is.

Thanks to all of the attendees and thanks for cleaning up after yourselves, I spent 25 mins cleaning the gym after you all left, I must tell you most other seminars (NON-GB) I've spent literally hours getting the place back to serviceable.

Would love and can't wait for the opportunity to host again!

Accept the pain,

-Aush

• Upvote 4

Seminar: Cornwall, ON (August 2014)

How I heard about this:

I attended this seminar on the recommendation of Tyler Touchette, who was hosting the seminar at his gym, Caveman Strong.

Before the Seminar:

Prior to this seminar, I trained using CrossFit and weightlifting. I'm definitely more of a weekend warrior trying to beat out office-induced-decrepitude rather than a firebreather. Once I signed up for the seminar, I tried incorporating Foundations / Handstand work into my routine, but I was all over the place. I would do some weightlifting drills for a few weeks, get back on GST, start training for a half marathon, and everything in between. In short, a lack of focus.

During the Seminar:

When I arrived, I was struck by the wisdom Coach Sommer and Orench brought. They helped me understand the bigger picture and unpacked a lot of the progressions and training philosophy. I would say I was one of the weaker (if not the weakest!) ones there and had a tough time keeping up on the second day. I also had a lower back injury coming in, so I was worried I wouldn't get as much out of it. Despite that, both Coach and Orench were patient and met me where I was, even in that larger group setting. I could see the benefits this training has on prehab/rehab and developing foundational strength for weightlifting and ring work. I was sold.

After the Seminar:

I was really psyched after, almost too psyched. I was worried this was some temporary high and I would get distracted again; so I held off on posting much here. Instead, I worked on developing my habits, one at a time (e.g. waking up early, getting in foundation work, being consistent and focused with my diet, etc.), and having fun along the way. Every time I was tempted to try something crazy, deviate from my plan, or get discouraged, I would think back to Coach's words and what Tyler told me before: "Think long term". Am I super strong now? Hardly! However, my consistency and focus in my current training have encouraged me to post.

Some benefits so far:

- My strength / weightlifting hasn't dropped much. I recently hit an old PR at a Klokov seminar.

- My joints are feeling stronger.

- Joint pain has also improved with care in quality of movement and patience.

- I lost approx 15 lb since the seminar from cleaning eating and training (and learning to say "no")

I'm thankful I found GB and look forward to rebuilding my body, one meal / training session at a time. Thanks Coach Sommer and Orench for the great Seminar. And thank you Tyler for your guidance and for hosting.

Time for my first meal of the day!

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
Melanie Hunter

Hello Everyone,

My question is only partly about the seminar so I hope this is good place to post; I'll try to get to the point quickly so please hang in there with me.

At 31 I developed an overuse injury in my right shoulder from volleyball. I got a diagnosis of "bicep tendonitis" and did PT and eventually the immediate pain went away.

For the next 11 years through various weight training kicks and other activities, the pain/discomfort comes and goes, sometimes with clicking in that shoulder. 

In 2013-14 I did a lot of heavy barbell training. My workouts included pull-ups but not bench press. BP hurts my shoulder, but otherwise I had no pain with my workouts. 

In recent months it dawned on me how tight and immobile I am. I stopped lifting and have tried to focus exclusively on F1 and H1, and more recently, the stretch courses. During this time, the pain in my shoulder has returned, as it tends to do when I stop lifting.

I saw and orthopedic surgeon last week and he thinks I have a SLAP tear. He was indifferent about surgery-I'm not sure if this is because I'm 42 or what-so I'm going to get another opinion.

AND FINALLY MY QUESTIONS!

1) I am signed up for the seminar in Denver in June. It's possible I will have shoulder surgery sometime in May. Would it be better to try to reschedule the surgery and show up with my currently iffy shoulder, or better to attend the seminar only a few weeks out from surgery?

2) Could someone help me understand why my shoulder started hurting again when I stopped lifting? 

Thank you!

Scott Malin

Never train hard (or usually at all) on an iffy shoulder. More importantly, you should get a firm diagnosis before making any decisions. Something like a SLAP tear is very clear to test and image for, so there shouldn't be an unclarity from your ortho on the nature of the issue.

• 1 month later...
Gabriel Sanchez

What do i need to do before the seminar, what do i  need to bring to the seminar? Going to the Houston one June 13-14

• Upvote 1

Mats Trane

What do i need to do before the seminar, what do i  need to bring to the seminar? Going to the Houston one June 13-14

Do you own F1? If so, write down questions that you like to have answered. 

If you dont own F1 get it and start training.

• Upvote 1

Farid Mirkhani

I can't wait to go for my first Seminar. Maybe 3-5 years. Hopefully, Coach is still active then.

• 8 months later...
Pierluigi Melis

Hi, this is my first forum post.

I've booked my spot for Stroud seminar, do I recive any confermation for that?

Thank you so much

If you ask Cory he'll be able to tell you.

Just send him a message directly using the Help button at the top right of the main menu above.

• Upvote 1

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic