This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

C1 Scapula Shrugs form check

Started by Alex Simon, September 27, 2020 · 27 Replies · 214 Views

Alex Simon

Hello,

I have started working on my Scapula Shrugs again. Could you please check the form.

Any tips to improve?

Thanks in advance.

 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Alex Simon said:

Hello,

I have started working on my Scapula Shrugs again. Could you please check the form.

Any tips to improve?

Thanks in advance.

 

HI Alex, can you film for me a side view in the quadrupedal position?

Alex Simon

From the Quadrupedal position

 

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

From the Quadrupedal position

 

 

Hey Alex, i asked for that because te shrugs in the plank position with support on the feet reveal a lack of protraction. ad i supposed that i can be due to the intensity of the plank position. the quadrupedal variation is easier to hold but you still have not enough protraction, you should focus on increasing the pushing movement with straight arm up to a strong rounded upper back from the quadrupedal position before replicating it the feet supported plank.

Alex Simon

Check.

Can you suggest any strength exercises to aid to improve my shoulder protraction?

Thanks for feedback.

Alessandro Mainente
17 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

Check.

Can you suggest any strength exercises to aid to improve my shoulder protraction?

Thanks for feedback.

You have already reached a good range of motion in the stretching exercise that i have suggested to you. basically, you need to learn the movement..simply do not stop to push from the ground when you think you've arrived because is not enough. Also, i noticed that you strongly depress the shoulders, for now, focus on protraction. one piece at a time.

Alex Simon

I do my scapula shrugs from the knees up till "mastery reps" and when I achieved that I will move on to the push up posistion.

This is how it looks now. I do not see that much improvement.

And is there anything from the GB classes I can use to aid in improveing this??

 

Alessandro Mainente
2 minutes ago, Alex Simon said:

I do my scapula shrugs from the knees up till "mastery reps" and when I achieved that I will move on to the push up posistion.

This is how it looks now. I do not see that much improvement.

And is there anything from the GB classes I can use to aid in improveing this??

 

The problem of this execution is that scaling the movement to the knees does not represent a scaled-specific variation. In fact, if you look at the position of the hips in a normal plank you will notice that they are higher compared to your kneeling version. hips are directly connected to the spine so...lower knees mean a more inclined spine. the adjustment should be using something under the knees so that they have the same height that they probably have in a normal straight arm plank position.

Alex Simon

I see, so correcting with something elevating my knees to shoulder height would do the trick? 

Going to do that next time. Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

I see, so correcting with something elevating my knees to shoulder height would do the trick? 

Going to do that next time. Thanks.

yes, exactly.

Alex Simon

Scapula Shrugs with knees elevated.

Any feedback on the form?

 

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

Scapula Shrugs with knees elevated.

Any feedback on the form?

 

Much better the shrugs, my suggestion is doing them sloooooowly and feeling the maximum contraction at the top. Also probably i would do the swivel hips 3-4 times a week...

Alex Simon

Thanks, 

I am going to slow down the scapula shrugs.

Haha.. yes, those swivel hips feel very tight. Where should I aim for? Knees to the ground?

Alessandro Mainente
On 11/4/2020 at 11:08 AM, Alex Simon said:

Thanks, 

I am going to slow down the scapula shrugs.

Haha.. yes, those swivel hips feel very tight. Where should I aim for? Knees to the ground?

Yes.

Alex Simon

Here is an update.

I feel much better already but there is still work to be done.

 

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Nice improvement, keep up the great work!

Alex Simon

Hi there,

I started last week with the Scapula Shrugs with out feet elevated. Was this wise or should I go back and work on it some more?

Or can I start with feet on the ground and build-up from here. My shoulders do feel better already.

Thank you,

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

Hi there,

I started last week with the Scapula Shrugs with out feet elevated. Was this wise or should I go back and work on it some more?

Or can I start with feet on the ground and build-up from here. My shoulders do feel better already.

Thank you,

We can try to fill the gap....can you still use the full plank position but with arms onto an elevated surface? something like 30 cm higher than the floor?

Alex Simon

@Alessandro Mainente I will use some yoga blocks to elevate the arms and work from there. 

Any other adjustments or should I first focus on this progression? 

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

@Alessandro Mainente I will use some yoga blocks to elevate the arms and work from there. 

Any other adjustments or should I first focus on this progression? 

For now no...i'm curious to see what's happening with the blocks..

Alex Simon

@Alessandro Mainente

Here is the first try with yoga blocks.

Any tips and /or suggestions?

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

@Alessandro Mainente

Here is the first try with yoga blocks.

Any tips and /or suggestions?

 

It seems better but i cannot see the top part completely (remember to keep the elbows straight). my suggestion is also doing some swivel hips daily.

Alex Simon

@Alessandro Mainente

Made a top view-ish from the Scapula Shrugs. 

Any suggestions?

Going to do the swivel hips daily with the daily Limber routine. How many sets do suggest? 3?

 

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Alex Simon said:

@Alessandro Mainente

Made a top view-ish from the Scapula Shrugs. 

Any suggestions?

Going to do the swivel hips daily with the daily Limber routine. How many sets do suggest? 3?

 

Definitely better.....i suggest io to assume the position of swivel hips with one knee inside....and gently push with the other hands...for 5 minutes.

Alex Simon

@Alessandro Mainente

Thanks, the shoulders do feel better. Also the tension I got days after the workouts is far less because I take it slowly and steadily.

For the swivel hips you mean like a gentle stretch session for 5minutes instead of dynamic moving like in the foundation series?