Hello everyone!
I am 26 years old, I used to do combat sports when I was younger but then I switched to american football couple of years ago, where I used to play a linebacker and later defensive end. During all this time I was lifting weight. I tried almost everything, bodybuilding style training, power lifting style training (since I was training in a powerlifting gym at one point for almost 2 years) and also olympic weightlifting. I have never seriously pursued bodyweight training because I was bored with only pushups and pullups and, regardless of how silly it may sound, I never believed I could do all this gymnasics stuff like handstands, planche, front lever, back lever, etc. That´s why I never even tried to pursue it. But now for the last 4 months during the lockdown I had no other option than to train bodyweight so I gave it a try. My "bible" so to speak has been the book called Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low. I also watch a lot of different youtube videos. But I feel like sometimes all of it lacks specificity with regards to my personal progress, so that´s why I decided to join here.
My strength is pretty average because I have never managed to be consistent with lifting weight. Always some forced layoff or injury happened. Now I have been seeing some really good progress in my gymnastics training. I can do wall handstands, I can do advanced tucked back lever on rings, tucked front lever and also stuff like skin the cat, german hang and icecream makers. I can also do RTO pushups (I think 6 repetitions in a rows was my max, I went slow and controlled), RTO holds, ring dips (probably 8-10 reps max in a slow controlled manner). I also do a lot of pullups, also weighted.
I am not playing football right now because of the whole pandemic situation but I am planning to come back in several months hopefully.However, I would like to keep training as a gymnast mostly because I really feel it is the most functional and the most effective way to train for an athlete. But I also feel like some stuff would perhaps be better achieved through weights, especially hypertrophy of some muscle groups. In football, especially as a defensive end, even as a linebacker, I need to have an extreme ability to extend my arms fully against resistance and keep them extended as long as I need to, firm and stable like concrete in this extended position.
My main goals for gymnastics trainnig are these:
-free handstand, as well as being able to walk on my hands and do handstand pushups
-planche hold, as well as planche pushups and being able to transition from this position to handstand (so I am able to transition between the two smoothly)
-360 degree turn on rings (the one where you begin from front lever and go into back lever and then german hang and then back to beginning, all with body straight)
-pullups - being able to do at least 2x my bodyweight
-dips and pushups on rings - being able to do easily the leaning forward RTO variations
With regards to lifting weights, I just want to do front squats and some form of deadlifts to have a balanced functioning body as an athlete. But also I really want to focus on one pressing movement and that is the military press. I just want to be able to press as much weight above my head as possible. I think that transitions really well into football as well as gymnastics. Also in general, having insanely strong shoulders is one of the most important things for an athlete I believe. I also think that handling heavy weights sometimes is different than to for exaxmple do handstand pushups...I canot describe how is it different, I know that handstand pushups are insanely difficult to do and require enormous strength but I feel it is different than pressing let´s say 150 kg over your head. Besides the military press, I thought about supplementing this overhead pressing with incline bench press sometimes, for a change, and also to get some chest hypertrophy. Lastly, I also had this idea that sometimes I would really like to implement stuff like heavy front carries into my training or jus carry heavy bags for some distance, because it kind of mimicks human body and as a football player you need to be able to manhandle giant people.
Maybe you ask why I just don´t do weights, since it is what every football player does, even in NFL, so why not do what is proven to work...
Well, I just absolutely love gymnastics and I feel like these movements work my muscles like nothing before and make my muscles but ESPECIALLY my joints, ligaments and tendons much much stronger, stable and flexible all at the same time. So, even if I stop playing football I want to keep training gymnastics, I think it is a very sustainable way of training, even more than weights. But I know that it is a very long process to master all the movements properly.
I was recently trying to figure out how to program this and actually if it would even work - gymnastics + weights. Currently, I have been doing 4 days of gymnastics (2 pull days, 2 push days).
Do you think I could succesfuly combine these two? I know that there have already been some threads and posts about this, but I believe that so far nobody mentioned it in relation to american football, where the athlete needs to be extremely explosive and used to handling heavy objects (other players) effectively.
Please, let me know if you have any suggestions or tips. I will appreciate any advice.
Thank you all so much!