Muscle up, RTO dips or HSPU.

Started by Alex Dienaar, May 28, 2010 · 2 Replies · 2,797 Views

Alex Dienaar

At the moment I'm working on getting a solid Front Lever and Planche, combined with just building up basic bent arm strength.

But I realized after a bit of trying that I still haven't achieved a muscle up yet, would it be wise to break my current cycle to go for a muscle-up specialization ? With the muscle-up being a basic skill and a prerequisite for the Ring Strength series and all. Or should I focus on RTO dips/HSPU build up ?

Basically I want to train the thing that would give me the biggest bang for it's buck, I'm doing Ring dips extremely easy at the moment, but can't do RTO yet. HSPU I'm doing to the ground for about 3-4 reps with a 40X0 tempo, going to be making some paralettes tonight.

Thanks in advance!

My current stats are :

XR Flat Tuck Planche 12 sec hold

XR Straddle Front Lever 8 sec hold

Weighted pullup +32.5kg (half bodyweight)

Blairbob

Do you have the equipment to work the Russian Dip? These are pretty critical to the MU.

Are you doing the HeSPU on the wall or free?

Alex Dienaar

I am afraid not : < And I don't have the ability to improvise some sorts of dip bar until August. And thanks for the tip! Will scout around for some place to train them if I will be focussing on the muscle up.

And I'm doing the HeSPU freestanding, but with a wall behind me just in case things go wrong.