Dear coaches,
TLDR: can I do exercises where a "hollow" position is recommended with a neutral spine instead (eg. pull-ups)
I have 1 year of calisthenics experience before starting with gymnastic bodies. In that time I have had lower back pain which has steadily got worse. I was hoping that gymnastic bodies structured approach would help, but it has continued to get worse. It is particularly bad during any movement that involves the lower back eg. jefferson curls, stiff legged windmills, hip rotations.
I recently read one of Stuart McGill's book about back pain. He is a professor in the area of lower back pain.
After looking at the situation it seems likely my pain is related to a spinal disc which bulges in spinal flexion.
FOr the last week I have stopped exercising except when performing exercises recommended by McGill. He prescribes training the core by exercises that resist movement with the spine in a neutral position (McGill curl-up, side planks and bird dogs). He recommends avoiding any spinal flexion.
It seems that many gymnastic exercises involve some degree of spinal flexion eg. bent leg hollow body hold.
Do I have to give up or can I adapt the exercises and do them with a neutral spine, even though a "hollow" position is the recommended form?
Many thanks
Guy Stephens