Beginner Progression w/ shoulder issues

Started by BNshape, May 21, 2010 · 9 Replies · 2,988 Views

BNshape

Just a quick background. 31 yo, 6'1" 205#. Played college baseball and have some shoulder issues that I am working through (albeit slowly).

I am very busy starting my own business and have a family (2 kids just started gymnastics) and I really started to get healthy again just recently ~4-6 months. I finally found this site and just received my copy of BtGB. I have read the Killroy70 thread and many others (not all yet, but lots of very usefull info).

My goal is to build bomb-proof musculature/tendons and the strength/hypertrophy that comes with. I don't want to get crazy on the rings or anything like that. Because of my shoulder history I need to progress slower than most and need help building a starter program based on shoulder stability limitation and shoulder strength.

At this point I feel I need to limit the work to 2-3 static moves 4 times per week. I will progress VERY SLOWLY, spending a minimum of 6-8 weeks at each rep/time scheme.

Of the big 5, which 3 should I start with to build the shoulder girdle but limit the risk? I think handstand work is out for bit, as well as planche, that leaves BL,FL and L-sit progressions. Will the BL and FL progressions work the shoulder but not too much strain? And at what point in the progression should I add either the planche or handstand?

After I have a year of solid static strength I can evaluate my goals again. Thanks

Blairbob

Actually the BL can be one of the most difficult on the shoulders due to shoulder extension.

How strong are you now?

BNshape

Like a typical guy, I rushed into things and on day 1 did frog stand for only 3 seconds, but a week later its 20 seconds, accompanied by shoulder soreness. I think my prime mover strength is there, but the support structure is not. So I rested this week and received the book and realized my mistake. I now know to take this stuff serious and very slow. In terms of strength, its really all over the place. One problem has been my chest has always overpowered the shoulders, creating too much stress. I can do several pullups or chinups variation on bar, and got into an advance tuck FL on the first try. Legs and glutes are ok, but ab/back strength and flexibility is low. I have been doing some rehab/prehab shoulder work and will continue it from now on, and including shoulder dislocations and a few other from Ido that I will start once I begin the static work again. Th emore I read the more I realize I need to lay the foundation with joint strength and mobility before progressing on the dynamic moves.

Joshua Naterman

I will be coming out with a new rotator cuff video this weekend, I'll post the video here. At least that will give you the most sure path to safe and functional shoulder rotators. You should search on trap-3(lower traps) work as well, since it is usually the most under-trained of the scapular stabilizers/retractors. The entire shoulder girdle should be heavily emphasized, from stretching to massage to resistance training.

ASForum
slizzardman said:
I will be coming out with a new rotator cuff video this weekend, I'll post the video here. At least that will give you the most sure path to safe and functional shoulder rotators. You should search on trap-3(lower traps) work as well, since it is usually the most under-trained of the scapular stabilizers/retractors. The entire shoulder girdle should be heavily emphasized, from stretching to massage to resistance training.

Is there something inside the BtGB for that?

Joshua Naterman

Not specifically as such. These muscles get worked by many exercises, but if there are imbalances then specific work needs to be done to correct them. Trying to fix them with just BtGB will be almost impossible. It'd be like trying to fix rotator problems just by benching. It just doesn't work that way.

ASForum
slizzardman said:
Not specifically as such. These muscles get worked by many exercises, but if there are imbalances then specific work needs to be done to correct them. Trying to fix them with just BtGB will be almost impossible. It'd be like trying to fix rotator problems just by benching. It just doesn't work that way.

I meant to ask what would be good exercises for that. :) .. I figured its something in BtGB that I overlooked.

Joshua Naterman

You should have shoulder and scapular mobility stuff for warm up, certainly, for starters. Band work is probably the easiest way to do that. Watch Ido's videos on that.

You really should have at least 1 dedicated strength session per week and 2-3 stretching sessions for your scapular muscles and shoulder rotators, especially if you have problems there. You should not start strength training until you have rehabbed completely, meaning that there is no pain or funkiness. This may take a long time, 3-6 months, depending on how screwed up your shoulders are and how dedicated and consistent you are, AND your diet/supplements. I've been reading a lot in the olympic lifting and powerlifting threads, and it appears that NO2 supplements are helping the guys there heal much more quickly in addition to the EPA/DHA oils and other anti-inflammatories. That makes sense, since Arginine acts as a vasodilator, increasing blood flow and therefore healing, particularly in tendons where blood flow is very limited. It also makes sense, as Ido has been harping on lately, that HCL supplementation with meals will help the healing as well, since they promote digestion and nutrient absorption! Stress reduces HCL levels, so the more stressful your life the more likely it is that HCL supplementation will really make a difference in your life!

ASForum
slizzardman said:
You should have shoulder and scapular mobility stuff for warm up, certainly, for starters. Band work is probably the easiest way to do that. Watch Ido's videos on that.

You really should have at least 1 dedicated strength session per week and 2-3 stretching sessions for your scapular muscles and shoulder rotators, especially if you have problems there. You should not start strength training until you have rehabbed completely, meaning that there is no pain or funkiness. This may take a long time, 3-6 months, depending on how screwed up your shoulders are and how dedicated and consistent you are, AND your diet/supplements. I've been reading a lot in the olympic lifting and powerlifting threads, and it appears that NO2 supplements are helping the guys there heal much more quickly in addition to the EPA/DHA oils and other anti-inflammatories. That makes sense, since Arginine acts as a vasodilator, increasing blood flow and therefore healing, particularly in tendons where blood flow is very limited. It also makes sense, as Ido has been harping on lately, that HCL supplementation with meals will help the healing as well, since they promote digestion and nutrient absorption! Stress reduces HCL levels, so the more stressful your life the more likely it is that HCL supplementation will really make a difference in your life!

I have been doing a bunch of Ido's stuff as I posted on my Warmup Mobility Thread (Signature)

Pain is gone. Funkiness is non existent. Nothing more than the usual clicks & pops I had / have for a long time. Luckily, with the stuff Ive been doing, I am able to hold 30s Wall HS with nothing major later in the day except a good PUMPED feeling :)

BNshape

I plan on working on my shoulder mob/flex daily for another month while I work on l-sit progression and maybe a little FL work, lots of massage and stretching. I will test the frog stand for a few seconds every few days just to see how it feels. Do you think I can work on anything else that is not shoulder heavy, such as pullups?