Mismatched Strength VS Mobility

Started by Yuri Pershin, February 22, 2020 · 1 Replies · 1,635 Views

Yuri Pershin

Hi Team, 

I've been doing ad-hoc bodyweight training for about 3 years now and finally decided to get some structure and progression by singing up for GB. System suggested Level 2.

I'm on my first week, but already discovered that there is a significant mismatch between my level of strength and flexibility. For example, Core A14: Kip Extensions & Single Leg Bridge. I can easily move up several levels on Kip Extensions strength but far from being able to do single-leg bridge. Or splits during Extended Warmup - ahem, no. I understand that mobility and strength must progress somewhat together, but I'm afraid if I stay at my "suggested" mobility level I will be stuck on a strength level that is far below my current ability and I will lose strength my gains. I can currently do movements such as Russian dips, front and back lever, ring muscle-ups, ring shoulder stands. At the same time, my planche is hopeless. I looked ahead in the program builder and these exercises don't show up until the very end of Level 3 and Level 4.

What should I do if I find the strength portion of Level 2,3 too easy, but spot-on on mobility? Can I de-couple my exercise pairs, and say do Level 3 or 4 strength, but level 2 mobility? 

Cheers,

Y

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Yuri Pershin said:

Hi Team, 

I've been doing ad-hoc bodyweight training for about 3 years now and finally decided to get some structure and progression by singing up for GB. System suggested Level 2.

I'm on my first week, but already discovered that there is a significant mismatch between my level of strength and flexibility. For example, Core A14: Kip Extensions & Single Leg Bridge. I can easily move up several levels on Kip Extensions strength but far from being able to do single-leg bridge. Or splits during Extended Warmup - ahem, no. I understand that mobility and strength must progress somewhat together, but I'm afraid if I stay at my "suggested" mobility level I will be stuck on a strength level that is far below my current ability and I will lose strength my gains. I can currently do movements such as Russian dips, front and back lever, ring muscle-ups, ring shoulder stands. At the same time, my planche is hopeless. I looked ahead in the program builder and these exercises don't show up until the very end of Level 3 and Level 4.

What should I do if I find the strength portion of Level 2,3 too easy, but spot-on on mobility? Can I de-couple my exercise pairs, and say do Level 3 or 4 strength, but level 2 mobility? 

Cheers,

Y

Hi Yuri, this is a common question. The first GB rules are: proceed only if the strength element and the paired mobility are mastered with the required reps/set and range of motion.