This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MS hold form check

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, August 18, 2019 · 29 Replies · 383 Views

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Felipe. strive to have feet at the same heigh..also I noticed that your arms are not externally rotated. Personally, I have experienced must more ability to progress faster in the future manna work if you focus on external rotation and retraction.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks will do!

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Feli! Yes, the legs should be lower.  During your middle split hold your feet should be held only slightly off the ground. They should not rise above the level of your hips. Also, work on pressing your hips forward more as you hold. Keep up the good work!

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks Jeffrey! Pressing forward while leaning back on my arms?

Jeffrey Bittner

That's right! As you press your hips forward, your shoulders will move backwards to counteract the weight shift and keep your center of mass directly over your hands. In other words, the reason you lean back during this exercise is only to keep you from falling forward due to the movement of the hips.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Got it now, one more question :). Is there like an intermediate exercise between this ms hold and the manna press? Like doing a tuck manna press with pull up bands in the knees for example? I tried that and I could almost fully extend my shoulders on a tuck position

because in the ms hold at some point you will need to lift legs of the near ground level I guess to extend further

Alessandro Mainente

Can you post an execution?

 

Alessandro Mainente

you can definitely work more on retraction before moving on. how is the manna wall slide?

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks Alex, work more on retraction on the ms hold or on the manna with bands video I shared?

manna wall slides have been fine, thats why I moved to do the manna with bands since it felt a bit harder

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Manna wall slides your weight is on the wall so it felt easier, if I am not missing anything

Alessandro Mainente

I would like to see them, from the side and from the back.

keep in mind that if i ask...."how is...." it is because i would like to see the execution.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Sure will share a video on slides very soon

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi @Alessandro Mainente Here are a few vids on slides

From back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wk3ksauc4npjjzt/Video Sep 03%2C 7 48 35 PM.mov?dl=0

From side a little bit further from wall to work extension: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5gfagu7cq5j02p/Video Sep 03%2C 7 59 31 PM.mov?dl=0

from side closer to wall, harder since there is more friction I guess: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxryu1y9eya2vjl/Video Sep 03%2C 7 51 07 PM.mov?dl=0

I have also been working on the weighted shoulder extension from HS courses, slightly incresing weight every month, would that help for manna?

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Felice well, you can still improve this one:

-first: palms on the floor, not fingers on the floor;

-second: the back view reveals that the hands are too wide, shoulder-distance is required;

-in the first video you are too far from the wall, the second one is more appropriated;

-hips should reach higher for better carryover on the manna development;

-the only one of my student who is now able to reach the manna continued to work on the manna wall slide with an additional 20 kg weigth vest and almost hands together.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks Alex for the detailed response.

so should I drop what I was doing with bands or do both wall slides and tuck manna with bands?

and this is out of curiosity, why palms on the floor is better than fingers? My arms are externally rotated anyway.

F69A14E8-89FC-4E34-86AF-36B76FD10256.jpeg.379ff0aae155620bb833135d37f7ddba.jpeg

Alessandro Mainente

The fingers on the floor lead to a better sensation of "push the hips forward" . but at your level, you do not need it.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey Alex, I just did it because it felt easier, with palms on the floor both wall slides and ms hold feels harder

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi @Alessandro Mainente

I been seeing a bunch of gymnasts using the fingers version for manna, why not work on that now if its easier? It could injure my wrists?

and also if you can let me know if working on weighted shoulder extension from hs courses (in addition to wall slides) would help for manna that would be great.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

You can injury your fingers for sure. gymnasts have stronger fingers than you and mine together.

Until completing the wall slides with proper range of motion you do not need additional work.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Got it then I will stop doing shoulder extensions with increasing weights and focus on that. Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

HI Felipe, weel the ONLY one thing you need to modify is the key of the exercise....retraction of the scapulae and external rotation.

notice in the foto below tat my student has his elbows pointing forward and the upper arm in line with the neck and ear. if you look to yours, the upper arm is completely tilted forward.  this will make the possibility to lift the hips harder and harder and harder and it reveals lack of retraction.

ste manna.jpg

the ideal situation for developing a higher strength level is inserting additional work for:

-middle split, so that you can hold it when lifting the hips and you do not need to lean forward to counterbalance the legs weight;

-add shoulder extension with a weighted bar. my student has a set of 5 with a 20 kg bar.